• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Drone

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got my new Drone, getting ready for the boating season. Plan to use it alot on the water and have several Marina's I am going to help out with some marketing, etc.

Should be taking my FAA Part 107 Test next week or the week after.

DJI Mini 4 Pro - Mini to the Max - DJI

Got 6 batteries as well.

Was flying it over the weekend, but still too cold and windy out to work with it for any length of time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got my new Drone, getting ready for the boating season. Plan to use it alot on the water and have several Marina's I am going to help out with some marketing, etc.

Got 6 batteries as well.

Was flying it over the weekend, but still too cold and windy out to work with it for any length of time.
Well.....That website sure makes it look like everyone can be a world class cinematographer. I'll be on the lookout for your videos for certain!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well.....That website sure makes it look like everyone can be a world class cinematographer. I'll be on the lookout for your videos for certain!
Yes they do... roll. We shall see if I can get the hang of it

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good luck with that hand landing while on the boat. Learn it, love it, respect it. As there are few flat spaces to land on our boats.

My suggestion is putting in the filler cushions for a nice big landing zone. Best tip, anchor before taking off, as your return to home point that the drone knows, will be different if you are drifting off anchor. I learned that lesson and got under my first drone before splashdown, just in time.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great Points! I was reading where in the GoFly App I can set the return home to the controller. Haven't found that yet. Also I had the advoidance on and it was funny me trying to land it in my hand and grab it. When I switch it off into manual mode I was able to do it. Saw a floating landing pad for sale. Thought about that. Since mine is small, I can land it easier on the boat I believe. will practice in the drive once I get the boat out. Already got insurance and water landing/damage replacement on it.

STARTRC Protective Cover Ring Propeller Guard for DJI Mini 4 Pro Drone Accessories

Saw this as well.
1710877433212.png

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here it is.

1710877566364.png

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Once upon a time seems like a lifetime ago I used to take, edit and post drone based videos. Flying was fun but not as challenging with today’s quad / hex / Oct copters as it is with a traditional pod and boom set up. Video editing was very very time consuming, for me anyway. At the end of my time in the hobby I was editing 10 to 15 minutes for every minute of posted video. Don’t be surprised by how important the editing piece is.

as far as landing is concerned. What I did was dependent on where i was boating / flying. If I was camping and someone would always be at the camp site, I’d set the return to home site as the camp site. Most of the time I was boating to a destination or just zipping around a like so I would set the home site as the remote. A few things about this: 1. It was not as accurate as I expected. Similar to using find my phone on an iPhone, it will get you close but not right on it. 2. Knowing how to enable the feature is less important than knowing how to disable it. 3. If I planned to land while the boat was underway, I would ask the driver to go straight and set the cruise control at 10 to 15 mph and I had to catch the drone instead of land it on / in the boat. When this was done, simply turn the drone (dji) upside down to stop the blades from spinning. 4. Landing on a bow filler cushion is pretty easy but I tried not to because the risk of tearing the upholstery is very high. The best place I’ve found is the lower swim deck.

I almost forgot to mention that flying is easier with first person view goggles but landing was more difficult, for me anyway.

good luck, I will be on the look out for videos.

Here are a couple of mine. Not the best but not the worst either. More of the built in features were used in the second video.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll second the editing portion.

Good friend of mine is a professional graphic designer. He took some video (back before drones) of our Labor Day Weekend boating with 2 or 3 GoPros. Seriously took him a year to final edit the whole thing together. HOWEVER, the results are pretty damn good I think. Granted this was 14yrs ago, so I suspect modern editing and filming tools will cut that time down some, and give similar results.

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What's the range on one of those drones? We were buzzing up Lake Lanier last week, no boats within probably 400 yards and off to starboard there is a drone tracking right along maybe 100 feet away. I pointed at it and it buzzed away. Not a problem, but just sorta weird.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Got 6 batteries as well.

Get a set of ND filters (Amazon, B&H Photo, etc) for the drone, and you'll get a LOT less annoying glare from the water on sunny days.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What's the range on one of those drones? We were buzzing up Lake Lanier last week, no boats within probably 400 yards and off to starboard there is a drone tracking right along maybe 100 feet away. I pointed at it and it buzzed away. Not a problem, but just sorta weird.
This was true when I last flew my mavic gen 1, over six years ago. At these ranges flying by line of sight is impossible, the drone can’t be seen by the pilot at all. IMG_4845.png

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the range on mine is 12km. Would never get that far, since the battery wouldn't make the return and need to keep it visible.

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
12km is pretty impressive!
Cheers

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
  • Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, free of interference)
  • FCC: 20 km
    CE: 10 km
    SRRC: 10 km
    MIC: 10 km
    Measured in an unobstructed outdoor environment free of interference. The above data shows the farthest communication range for one-way, non-return flights under each standard. Always pay attention to RTH reminders in the DJI Fly app during your flight.
  • Max Transmission Distance (unobstructed, with interference)
  • Strong Interference: urban landscape, approx. 1.5-4 km
    Medium Interference: suburban landscape, approx. 4-10 km
    Low Interference: suburb/seaside, approx. 10-20 km
    Data tested under FCC standard in unobstructed environments with typical interference. Used for reference purposes only and provides no guarantee for actual transmission distance.
  • Max Transmission Distance (obstructed, with interference)
  • Low Interference and Obstructed by Buildings: approx. 0-0.5 km
    Low Interference and Obstructed by Trees: approx. 0.5-3 km
    Data tested under FCC standard in obstructed environments with typical low interference. Used for reference purposes only and provides no guarantee for actual transmission distance.

LoWeLL216

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Got 6 batteries as well.

Have fun! I have A Mini 3. Definitely learn to hand recover.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was going to get the Mavic 3 pro, but figured I would start with this.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I suggest disabling return to home when filming from a boat, I much prefer to fall back into hover mode - the boat is mobile, no need to try and chase a moving target if it isn't behaving as expected. The return-to-controller is not as good as you'd expect. Careful with the winds, especially at altitude. I really like the Mini 3 Pro (have had a whole range of other drones from DIY monstrosities up to the Inspire), but its wind resistance is its Achilles heel. The Mavic is a better airframe and can handle strong winds, but the portability of the Mini wins me over.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

Got 6 batteries as well.

That's the same drone I've been looking at. I need to schedule my 107 exam.

Skyhawk223

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252S
Boat Length

Got 6 batteries as well.

Most of the time, I grab the drone by hand instead of try to land it on a bouncing boat. Not too difficult. Grab by hand and then tip over to automatically stop the rotors. I have the mini 3 pro.