• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

House/start battery issue

Doug Kline

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Used the search button but couldn't find any issues similar to mine. 2017 212X
Start battery seems to be draining on the water when in float mode. If I turn just the house battery on and turn on the blower you could see the start battery as well as the house battery drop voltage. Anyone have diagrams of how these batteries should be wired?

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How do you know the start battery is draining?
Also, if you turn the start battery switch off, what happens?

Doug Kline

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I can watch the volts drop on the connext screen. There are two volts gauges, SYS and AUX. i'm assuming the SYS is start an AUX is house. Both of them drop as the blower runs. The start battery switch is off, just the house battery on when this happens.

Attachments

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Mine does the same. I'm sure I've read somewhere in this forum that the voltages on the Connext screen for 2017 (and possibly other years) are not correct.

Best way to see what's really happening is to check the voltages with a DMM. Unless there's a problem with your battery switches, the start battery cannot be discharging if the switch is off.

If I'm in float mode for a while, I just turn the start battery switch off. Never had a problem and I stilll have the original batteries. Probably starting to push things though...

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use one of those and it matches the on board data built into my gages It shows 14.2v on cig adapter and 14.2 on the Yamaha gauge and it drops to 13.6V when I turn on the blower both of these are engine running. The blower draws some voltage/amps for sure.

I really like the Renogy the batt percent amps/to full is sweet.

Doug Kline

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Mine does the same. I'm sure I've read somewhere in this forum that the voltages on the Connext screen for 2017 (and possibly other years) are not correct.

Best way to see what's really happening is to check the voltages with a DMM. Unless there's a problem with your battery switches, the start battery cannot be discharging if the switch is off.

If I'm in float mode for a while, I just turn the start battery switch off. Never had a problem and I stilll have the original batteries. Probably starting to push things though...

Dave, you were absolutely correct. With a voltmeter on the start battery, it is rock solid at 13 with the blower on. Although the system volt gauge on the connext screen shows 12.3 and then steady drop. Obviously the voltage gauges on the screens are junk. Don't want to junk up the factory look of the dash so I'll probably put an auxiliary volt gauge in the cabinet under the captains console for the start battery. That way I can glance at it every once in a while we're in float mode just to make sure we're good. Thanks again for your help, it's not the first time that you've given me good advice on this form. Much appreciated.