• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installing Stoltz ULT-4 Ultimate Bow Stop Roller

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lots and lots of members have already installed these rollers. I finally got around to doing it on Sunday. The total cost is around $40 and the time required is less than 5 minutes. You need two 3/4 sockets and ratchets with 3" extensions. I used a 3/4 socket and ratchet combination and a cordless impact. After launching the boat it took perhaps two minutes to swap rollers in the parking lot.

These are way better than the hull scratching rollers that come on the newer ShoreLand'r trailers. I have a MFI trailer with the non scratching black roller from the factory but I figured that it was time for an upgrade. Especially since it had been smashed a few times. I highly recommend that you install the Stoltz or another non scratching roller the first time you take your new Yamaha out!

I bought mine at a Bass Pro Shop that we visited. It was cheaper to buy it in store than to pay shipping.

Here are a few pictures of it installed.

Stoltz1.jpg

Stoltz2.jpg

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree @Bruce about this as a necessary upgrade on our trailer. I just wanted to mention that I was able to change it out with the boat still on the trailer. After a few years of use, it still works and looks like new.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In the spirit of not opening a new thread for a bow roller install, exactly how do you get your boat off the existing bow roller so you can install the new one? Mine is pushing so hard on the existing one, the roller is pushed out. Loosen all 3 straps and give the boat a tug from my tow vehicle? I can change it in the parking lot after my first launch, but ive got another 6 weeks of winter....

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In the spirit of not opening a new thread for a bow roller install, exactly how do you get your boat off the existing bow roller so you can install the new one? Mine is pushing so hard on the existing one, the roller is pushed out. Loosen all 3 straps and give the boat a tug from my tow vehicle? I can change it in the parking lot after my first launch, but ive got another 6 weeks of winter....
One method is to loosen the bolts that hold the winch stand on the trailer and slide stand toward the tongue to relieve pressure and give clearance to remove the roller. Then you can replace the roller, slide the stand back in place, and tighten the mounting bolts.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Nick Hughes, I changed mine at the ramp parking lot after launching the boat. That is the easiest way.

The alternative would be to place a jack and wood block(s) under the bow and lift it to free the roller. But I would feel terrible if something went wrong lifting the bow when I could just wait for the next launch.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'll try to slide the winch stand down and see if that works. If not, i'll just wait. Our launch areas are usually pretty busy, but maybe first thing in the spring wont be too bad.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The one problem with jacking the bow is sometimes the bow eye hook gets stuck on the roller preventing the bow from rising, so pay close attention if you use the jacking method.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not doing the jacking method. No pun intended.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When you release your winch strap does the boat not come off the roller a bit? I will admit I have not tried with the Yamaha but i know my hurricane does if I release the winch strap.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
When you release your winch strap does the boat not come off the roller a bit? I will admit I have not tried with the Yamaha but i know my hurricane does if I release the winch strap.
That's how I did the roller on my 242 last year. Loosening the winch was plenty enough to get it done.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Before I took it to storage, I loosened it and gave it some rocking, but nothing moved. I'll run over to storage this weekend and try again.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was able to install roller with the boat on the trailer. At the end of a boating day, I loaded the boat on the trailer, making sure she wasn't snug against the roller - I gave it 2"-3".
Got home and made the swap, and then snugged her up against the roller afterwards. Granted my tow home from the lake is less than 1/2 mile. I wouldn't recommend leaving it slack for a long tow.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before I took it to storage, I loosened it and gave it some rocking, but nothing moved. I'll run over to storage this weekend and try again.
Probably no need then. If when you released the tension in the strap it didn't pull off the roller a bit it maybe to settled into the trailer to do it that way. Usually when the tension on the strap is released most boats (one again I have not tried this with the Yamaha) will pop off the roller a bit and almost go to a balance point. Very similar to the video below. You will see he has the strap completely released boats off the bow eye and he replaces it.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did this mod 3 or 4 years ago.

My method:
  • Had all my tools ready to go in back of my tow vehicle, including pre-checked and readied ratchets & sockets
  • Launched boat & parked it at the most out-of-the-way tie-up spot at the pier by the ramp
  • Immediately after launching the boat, I pulled the tow vehicle and empty trailer into one of the staging spots right by the ramp usually used by people that have just retrieved their boat
    • I timed my launch for late morning... after the morning fishermen have pulled out and left + before the day boaters come back in = no time pressure on the just-retrieved-button-up-staging spot
  • Swapped out crappy black OEM roller for the Stoltz in 3 - 4 minutes, 5 minutes max
  • Took the truck and trailer to a parking spot, walked over to the pier & jumped on the boat where my wife and kids were waiting
  • Out for a day of boating
Zero hassle, zero drama, did not inconvenience anyone else in any way. Easy.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So I've searched the forum and looked through this thread but I can't find a stoltz part number to order one online. I think it's it is the 4 inch ULT-4, is that correct?

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's what part number mine was. Also, to get the boat off the roller, I loosened all the straps a few inches, hooked it to my truck and gave it a few tugs front and back. Did the trick.
So I've searched the forum and looked through this thread but I can't find a stoltz part number to order one online. I think it's it is the 4 inch ULT-4, is that correct?

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks. While clicking the link to read your reply I noticed the part number is in the title of this thread.... in my defence, I found the link to this thread in the FAQ, that link doesn't include the title of the thread, that and I'm going blind.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Undo the bow strap... then back up real fast and slam the brakes.. it's works really well if u have your bunks sprayed with liquid roller and u r backing up down hill.................... of course you will need the name of a good fiberglass shop afterwards and some winching back onto the trailer may be required! But u will still have plenty of room to work on the bow stop...... DISCLAIMER ( "THE VIEWS AND ADVICE GIVEN BY BRONZE10 AND ANY OF HIS AFFILIATES ARE NOT THE VIEWS AND ADVICE OF JETBOATERS.NET NOR ANY OTHER REASONABLE PERSON. ALL LIABILITY ARE ASSUMED BY THE CONSUMER. IT IS STRONG ADVISED ANYTIME ADVICE IS TAKEN FROM BRONZE10 TO HAVE A 3RD PARTY STAND BY WITH THE NUMBERS 9 AND 1 ALREADY TYPED INTO A PHONE SO THE LAST 1 CAN BE DIALED QUICKLY IN ORDER TO HAVE LIFE SAVING HELP ARRIVE IN A TIMELY MANNER)! ......... my lawyer requires I give my disclaimer now.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
yeah, probably backing up with straps released is asking for it. I did mine on the trailer and the 240/242 line puts a few hundred pounds of weight on the trailer tongue...so loosing the strap won't do a thing. I moved the winch stand forward, changed the roller, then couldn't get the stand back where it was. So I had to move it a second time the next time I launched. If you just move the stand and put it back, you probably added another 50-100 pounds of tongue weight to the hitch.