• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Keel Guard above Bow Eye

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Anyone put a little piece above the bow eye to protect against the dock in the front? Considering it when I install the keel guard this off season.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I installed a large stainless steel scuff plate above my bow eye to protect it from the ramp n clamp devise (replaces the bow roller). The plates come in V and rectangular shapes, they look good, are easy to install and don’t cost much.
5E1DC86A-6563-4802-894A-9994F2675503.png

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I installed a large stainless steel scuff plate above my bow eye to protect it from the ramp n clamp devise (replaces the bow roller). The plates come in V and rectangular shapes, they look good, are easy to install and don’t cost much.
View attachment 134937
I bought the first on on here a while back but on the 195s there is a ridge up there and it needs to bend around it or it won’t work on the bow. I tried to bend it a little. No luck. Wish they made one that fit over that ridge.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Wright2e , I know exactly what you mean. I had the large triangular one and still have the large rectangular one installed. The triangular one was mounted high in the bow and it’s lower edge was flush with the ridge beneath it. My ramp n clamp ended up catching the edges as I launched the boat which bent the needs up on that scuff plate. They are easy to shape to the hill at their centers but not at their edges. At least it was only a $30 lesson.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I'm thinking about that to simply cover up some minor damage and to protect it. My 2 hour ride home from the dealer messed up the front right there from the crappy roller that comes with the trailer.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
@Wright2e , I know exactly what you mean. I had the large triangular one and still have the large rectangular one installed. The triangular one was mounted high in the bow and it’s lower edge was flush with the ridge beneath it. My ramp n clamp ended up catching the edges as I launched the boat which bent the needs up on that scuff plate. They are easy to shape to the hill at their centers but not at their edges. At least it was only a $30 lesson.
sooo, is there one that fits and works without modification?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
this is the one that I have ordered and received. Have yet to put it on though. Maybe this weekend while I winterize.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just measure the step on the hull that you will be installing it on and buy the one that fits, a little short is fine, a little long is not. If you will be installing it around the bow eye, above or below it you may have to enlarge the opening to get around the bow eye (actually around the nuts mounted on the outside of the hull). I’m any case you have to bend the scuff plate down the center and possibly on the sides to shape it to hug the hull. This is not a hard to do just follow the directions and take your time. Like keel guards prep is important and they are also a PiTA to remove.

Last edited:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Anyone put a little piece above the bow eye to protect against the dock in the front? Considering it when I install the keel guard this off season.
@Wright2e ......yes that would be anyone designated as front bow line wrangler......sorry, apologize, just had to do that. Being serious, IMO, no one should be approaching a dock at an angle to strike that area of the bow. :cool:

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Just measure the step on the hull that you will be installing it on and buy the one that fits, a little short is fine, a little long is not. If you will be installing it around the bow eye, above or below it you may have to enlarge the opening to get around the bow eye (actually around the nuts mounted on the outside of the hull). I’m any case you have to bend the scuff plate down the center and possibly on the sides to shape it to hug the hull. This is not a hard to do just follow the directions and take your time. Like keel guards prep is important and they are also a PiTA to remove.
totally get that. Sometimes it is nice to just come in straight and let someone jump off the front. Was thinking insurance policy.

Yamahaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I was ok scuffing up the surface for the keel guard. I don't know if I want to do it for this incase I don't like it or it comes off. I think my little marks are less noticeable than this giant steel/chrome thing there that I'm not crazy about.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Another viable alternative, if money is not an issue, is to buy and extra long keel guard and install it over the bow eye area, possibly up to the rub rail. If I were to do so, I would remove the bow eye and punch holes in the keel Guard after installing it to get a cleaner look than if I just cut a single hole through which the entire bow eye could pass Without removing the bow eye from the hull.

keel guards are roughly $20 per foot. The shortest I’ve seen from the factory is 5’.

Wright2e

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Another viable alternative, if money is not an issue, is to buy and extra long keel guard and install it over the bow eye area, possibly up to the rub rail. If I were to do so, I would remove the bow eye and punch holes in the keel Guard after installing it to get a cleaner look than if I just cut a single hole through which the entire bow eye could pass Without removing the bow eye from the hull.

keel guards are roughly $20 per foot. The shortest I’ve seen from the factory is 5’.
They actually have a one foot section on their website for this purpose. A bow guard. My just get it for above and the regular 8 ft piece for the rest of the boat.

tradenpaint

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
View attachment 134937
Does anyone know of a bow guard that's not stainless, say a vinyl of some sort? I only want to protect above the eye bolt where the roller is scuffing. I have the Stolz roller installed. TIA

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What’s the cause of the scuffing? Roller not rolling, power loading the boat on the trailer? If the roller is not moving freely I could see where it may leave a mark & I don’t see where winching the boat the last little bit would put marks on the hull. Need more info.