• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing Engine and Jet pump Anodes

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a friend bring me a set of Anodes back from the states as getting them here in Thailand is just about impossible, I had noticed there was some confusion on where to locate the Anodes on the side of the Engine block so i thought i would try to make it a bit clearer with a few Photos also just to help thing's along, It's a fairly easy job if you lay on top of each Airfilter and bring your right arm around the back of the engine to help support the socket wrench, Mine came out very easy after undoing the 12 mil securing bolt with a small socket i found i could just twist the anode body out of the cylinder block easily.

IMG_20160710_181407.jpg
Engine Anode and part number you need 2

IMG_20160710_181407_1.jpg
Anode housing seal you need 2

IMG_20160711_121611.jpg
Anode for the side of the jet Pump you need 2

IMG_20160711_110535.jpg
To locate this Anode it's on the left side of the Engine block as you open the Engine cover just behind and underneath the last fuel injector, If you lay on top of the Airfilter you will see it clearly a small 12 mil socket is all you need

IMG_20160711_110544_1.jpg
This is what you will see, Undo the larger 12 mil bolt as the smaller one actually holds the Anode in place in the housing.

IMG_20160711_111747_1.jpg

Ok this is both Anodes out, I was really surprised as i have never changed them and this is after 10 years in saltwater, It just goes to show what a good flushing does.

IMG_20160711_113911.jpg

I just give them a clean and also cleaned the seals and applied some silicon and put them back.

IMG_20160711_114717.jpg

All refitted and back in place, It took about 5 minutes on each Engine so a simple job that you can tackle yourself.

IMG_20160711_121611.jpg
Jet pump Anodes and part number you need 2

IMG_20160711_121611_1.jpg
IMG_20160711_121638.jpg

You can see how much the saltwater has attacked these Jetpump Anodes compared with the new ones, Not bad though for 10 years use in Saltwater

IMG_20160711_122210.jpg

All finished and ready to go, I used a longer bolt in the Jet pump Anodes as the one that comes standard i feel isn't long enough and only goes in about 4 threads and steel to Alloy and only 4 threads is just asking for trouble as it's so easy to over tighten anyway good luck i hope this helps you to locate the Engine Anodes better.

Attachments

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the detailed post. Was curious how long these would anodes would last in salt water. Glad you got 10 years out of use them.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Geoff Cooper. This will be very helpful when I get around to changing mine.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice write up @Geoff Cooper but it would have been a bit more informative if one of your girls were sprawled over the air cleaner doing the work. :)

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Learn something new everyday I did not even realize there were anodes in the engine. Great write up. Does the 1.8l engines have them in the engine as well?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice write up @Geoff Cooper but it would have been a bit more informative if one of your girls were sprawled over the air cleaner doing the work. :)
Oh that's asking to much Gym they might break a nail.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes just the same.
Thanks @Geoff Cooper I would have never known seriously was thinking of changing the two on the pumps and the two on the ride plate but would have never even thought to change the ones in the engine and I have to imagine the are almost more important then the other four if you run in salt water at all. Really great right up my man!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for that, For such a simple job i was surprised that nobody had done this before as there has been quite a bit of discussion on the subject, Well i hope it helps people and encourages people to have a go themselves.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Geoff Cooper I would have never known seriously was thinking of changing the two on the pumps and the two on the ride plate but would have never even thought to change the ones in the engine and I have to imagine the are almost more important then the other four if you run in salt water at all. Really great right up my man!
Thanks for that, I believe I've covered the job correctly with the Photos etc so no reason why you cant do it yourself, A 12 mil socket and extension bar and some silicon is all that's needed, You can always give them a spray with releasing fluid the night before you do the job if you think they may be a little tight but mine were really free and after undoing the bolt i could just twist them and they came out easy.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Geoff Cooper. This will be very helpful when I get around to changing mine.
Your welcome Bruce, In my case it was just 10 minutes work, It just shows how important it is to flush the engines well after Saltwater use as my Anodes were fine to just clean and use again but i have always made a point of flushing well.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the detailed post. Was curious how long these would anodes would last in salt water. Glad you got 10 years out of use them.
I flush well after use and even after 10 years all i had to do was give them a clean and put them back as you can see.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes i only had to clean them and put them back after as they were fine, Just make sure you put some silicon around them as you don't want any leaks.

Scott griffith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
Ok good write up but maybe I'm dumb or just don't know what is the purpose of these and why would you replace them

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok good write up but maybe I'm dumb or just don't know what is the purpose of these and why would you replace them
They do the same job as the external ones on the jet pumps etc but inside the engine and stop decay caused by saltwater reaction to electrical charge being built up during use.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Metal will always have an electrical interaction with water. Even more so with salt water. Think about electrolisis or electroplating but in reverse. Without functioning sacrificial anodes the electrons in the metal in your boat are going to flow to the water leaving you with corroded parts in the boat. The anodes react more easily with the water than the metals in your boat and sacrifice themselves to save the important metal parts.