• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sorry another oil Thread ?

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys have a question Yamaha manual gives the oil type as SAE 10w30, 10w40 20w40 20w50 as approved by their engineers for use in the 1.8 l engine........... API quality SJ SN or above.

Hears my question ? has anyone out hear in a Jet Ski or Jet boat used 10w30........it is approved by Yamaha. !!!!!!OK OK I'm retired and bored out of my mind.........LOL Just Asking.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well, i haven't.
the 10w30 is their 'cooler' temp area suggestion...and it gets hot as ass here in tx...so i went a bit higher up the chart, use 15w40 rotella t4...
my diesel pickup wants 5w40 for cold areas and 10w30 for warmer climates

sgust

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use 15w-40 in mine. 10w-30 would be better in a cooler setting but when its 100+ in the summer, it'll be more like water, resulting in less lubrication and more engine heat and most likely a reduction in engine performance if these engines retard timing.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Same as others here. My average boating day is probably 110 so I would never use 10w30 here.

If I lived far enough north I sure would to avoid wear on the engine while the oil warmed up.

knoxboatin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't see much reason to use anything but 10w-40. Just ordered oil yesterday so I was looking this up. ***edit, unless you boat in AZ***. :cool:
1714049825721.png

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
does anyone use 20w50?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use 10-40 but maybe I should be using 20-50 in summer based on that chart.
We don’t get enough hours to change oil more than annually though.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I use 15W40 T5 simi synthetic right now. I think due to the hot temps hear in Fl I'll just stick with 15w40 but just had to ask. I don't think it would harm the motor but 30 weight have a slightly lower sheer than the 40 would have to be changed more often. I have had a lot of experience in big V8 in boats like merc.......volvo ect and 30 weight is used regularly but, none of the 350 or 496 big iron turn 7250rpm like my 1.8L..... Looks like a 10w30 would have to be changed less hours.

I just got my oil test results back from BlackStone Labs and my motors are extremely low on wear metals the only metal that was in the middle of normal is iron/cyl wall everything was else almost Nill 1 or 2 parts per million when averages for these motors were are in the 20 parts per million for mains, cam lobes ect............BlackStone recommended I extend to 75 hours per change as the T5 shows a lot of protection and additive left.

I talked to them on the phone about wear and why Conventional, Simi Synthetic and even doubling the Moly had almost no effect on wear I swear I heard my Dad..........Motor oil is motor oil........I believe that's been said out hear more than once also. It looks like most of the difference in oil is the color(flavor)of the bottle and the price per quart as long as you meet the SAE and API the mfg tells you to use. Thay all will protect the Yamaha engine.

Thanks guys and boating weather is getting better for most of the country..........Sorry but not sorry Florida is all year long.