• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering Wheel replacement

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have searched here looking to see if anyone has replaced their steering wheel on a older (2006 SX230) boat and can’t find anything.
Our wheel like everything on this boat has been baked in the sun and is deteriorating, mother Yamaha says 200+ days for delivery on a stock one and I’m thinking there has to be another way to go.

I took the wheel off today and here is what I have.
.03036C67-7942-4472-8A3A-25C3B00F0F35.jpeg
3/4” tapered shaft with a splined hub.
E6A3E14B-E689-4256-B8D5-66D18914337B.jpeg
This is the back of the wheel adapter that goes over the hub.
A9129F62-B310-46F5-A08E-EA391E2096F3.jpeg
This is the front of the adapter that has multiple holes in it for screwing the steering wheel to it, my wheel has 6 screws at the 12, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 positions. Been searching the internet but none of the wheels I have looked at in my opinion give enough information on fitment for me to conclude that they will work.

I miss the good old days when you could walk into a store and physically look at what you wanted.

Anyone have any insight on what they have used for a replacement?

Last edited:

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
479ECF04-37D4-4F25-BBAB-BE708A7F13D6.png
Anyway I ordered this wheel the other day, I know the screw pattern is different but I believe the hub is included. I’ll let you know if it works.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So the hub fits properly and the bolts and pattern is part of the new hub?
Yes the wheel comes as an assembly with the hub attached and the hub has the correct 3/4” tapper that matches the shaft.

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did the steering wheel come off? I tried to remove mine last year and couldn’t. I removed the nut but the wheel wouldn’t budge so I just put the nut back on and lived with it. I was wondering if you needed a bearing puller or should it just pull off. I have a 2012 SX 240. Thanks!

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did the steering wheel come off? I tried to remove mine last year and couldn’t. I removed the nut but the wheel wouldn’t budge so I just put the nut back on and lived with it. I was wondering if you needed a bearing puller or should it just pull off. I have a 2012 SX 240. Thanks!
I loosened the nut until it was at the end of the shaft, put pressure on the back side of the wheel with my knees and hit the nut/shaft with a brass Hammer. Popped off after a couple hits.