• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Subwoofer Upgrade

craigabarr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have a 2023 Yamaha 222X and it came with a factory wet sounds system with a 10” sub. It sounds great, but really lacks bass and you can’t adjust the sound. I was wondering if I can buy a 12” sub and amp to replace the 10” factory sub. I know the hole would need to be made larger, but would it work otherwise? If so, what would be the best sub and amp for this? I really want the bass to hit hard. I was thinking the JL M7, but I’m not sure what amp. What would be the best sounding and hardest hitting sub/amp combo?

M5Law

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have a 2023 Yamaha 222X and it came with a factory wet sounds system with a 10” sub. It sounds great, but really lacks bass and you can’t adjust the sound. I was wondering if I can buy a 12” sub and amp to replace the 10” factory sub. I know the hole would need to be made larger, but would it work otherwise? If so, what would be the best sub and amp for this? I really want the bass to hit hard. I was thinking the JL M7, but I’m not sure what amp. What would be the best sounding and hardest hitting sub/amp combo?
The problem is Yamaha has locked down the sound system so you can't make any adjustments. You probably still won't get the sound you want if you swap out the sub. I had a 2023 222 before I went to a 275. On the 222, I initially added an enclosed sub under the port side passenger seat where the battery switches are and added an amp. That way you can at least adjust the sub separately. I also cut a 10 inch hole and added a wetsounds speaker grille covering it to let the bass out of that compartment. I wasn't happy with the bluetooth range and the lack of being able to tune the sound, so I shortly after i added the sub, I bypassed Connext completely, and routed everything through a Fusion Ms-RA770. System was perfect after that.

craigabarr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The problem is Yamaha has locked down the sound system so you can't make any adjustments. You probably still won't get the sound you want if you swap out the sub. I had a 2023 222 before I went to a 275. On the 222, I initially added an enclosed sub under the port side passenger seat where the battery switches are and added an amp. That way you can at least adjust the sub separately. I also cut a 10 inch hole and added a wetsounds speaker grille covering it to let the bass out of that compartment. I wasn't happy with the bluetooth range and the lack of being able to tune the sound, so I shortly after i added the sub, I bypassed Connext completely, and routed everything through a Fusion Ms-RA770. System was perfect after that.
I was hoping to be able to tap into the factory system and add an additional amp and sub with a bass controller. Sounds like this will not work? I don't understand why yamaha locked down the system so much. It's crazy.

M5Law

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I was hoping to be able to tap into the factory system and add an additional amp and sub with a bass controller. Sounds like this will not work? I don't understand why yamaha locked down the system so much. It's crazy.
You can do that for sure. That's what I did initially. Sorry, didn't catch you wanted to change the amp too from your original post, thought you were just doing a swap on the sub and using the stock amp. If it was me, I would keep the stock sub and just add another. That's what I did on my 275 and it sounds amazing. The more subs the better.

craigabarr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
You can do that for sure. That's what I did initially. Sorry, didn't catch you wanted to change the amp too from your original post, thought you were just doing a swap on the sub and using the stock amp. If it was me, I would keep the stock sub and just add another. That's what I did on my 275 and it sounds amazing. The more subs the better.
I was also thinking about keeping the factory sub as well and just adding a bigger and better sub with another amp. Just not sure where to put another sub. If there is a good place to mount one like the factory sub or if I would need to have a box and use up some of the storage space. My boat is a wake boat so a lot of the storage is already used up with ballasts, so I really don't want to use up more.

Also not sure what would be the best sub to get. JL M7 or a Wet sounds sub.

M5Law

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I was also thinking about keeping the factory sub as well and just adding a bigger and better sub with another amp. Just not sure where to put another sub. If there is a good place to mount one like the factory sub or if I would need to have a box and use up some of the storage space. My boat is a wake boat so a lot of the storage is already used up with ballasts, so I really don't want to use up more.

Also not sure what would be the best sub to get. JL M7 or a Wet sounds sub.
I used this because it's very compact and has a passive radiator. Also has good reviews all around.
https://www.kicker.com/TB10-10-inch-Subwoofer-and-Passive-Radiator-Enclosure-4-Ohm

Obviously, not a super high end sub, but it does sound good. I wouldn't call myself a true audiophile, but I do like quality bass and run a JL sub in my car and I'm happy with the kicker. My main consideration, like you, was space, so I felt the Kicker struck a nice balance.

craigabarr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I used this because it's very compact and has a passive radiator. Also has good reviews all around.
https://www.kicker.com/TB10-10-inch-Subwoofer-and-Passive-Radiator-Enclosure-4-Ohm

Obviously, not a super high end sub, but it does sound good. I wouldn't call myself a true audiophile, but I do like quality bass and run a JL sub in my car and I'm happy with the kicker. My main consideration, like you, was space, so I felt the Kicker struck a nice balance.
That does look nice and the price is not bad either. Thanks!

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Honestly the sub may be fine it’s the lack of power and control. Change this first, then if your still not happy with the sub, upgrade.

Last edited: