• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Underwater LEDs.

Tranio

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't hold your breath. These quality lights will never be $100. But you can find led lights for less. They just won't be the power and the quality that abyss, ocean, or a few others are. Be careful @Tranio , what will happen is abyss will offer, and the local distributor will take exception to being undercut in his own backyard.
Maybe. I will ask him.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't hold your breath. These quality lights will never be $100. But you can find led lights for less. They just won't be the power and the quality that abyss, ocean, or a few others are.
There is definitely a big difference in the quality between many lights out there. But still, they clearly have a huge markup over actual cost. Kinda like led cup holder rings

If I had access to a CNC machine I think I could make decent ones for less than $100 time and materials. I suspect you spent more on time and materials building the "txav8r special" box anchor.:rolleyes: We may never see SeaBlaze or Abyss for $100 , but they could easily be half their current price and still make money

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 2 OceanLed A6pro's. This is a pic of them in Percy Priest lake in Nashville which isn't the clearest lake. I love them.
image.jpg

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And my video of them the same night

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
There is definitely a big difference in the quality between many lights out there. But still, they clearly have a huge markup over actual cost. Kinda like led cup holder rings

If I had access to a CNC machine I think I could make decent ones for less than $100 time and materials. I suspect you spent more on time and materials building the "txav8r special" box anchor.:rolleyes: We may never see SeaBlaze or Abyss for $100 , but they could easily be half their current price and still make money
Agree completely that these lights seem high. I have not actually used the cheaper versions I see talked about, but I have held them in my hands. There is a huge difference between the cheaper lights and lights like the Abyss. I don't even think some of the similar priced lights are of the quality of the Abyss. They seem to me to have a better design and certainly better materials. I don't know if a milled bronze housing necessary but that housing is never going to have an issue. The hefty mass and size is impressive too. I suspect many may be priced similar but their construction isn't up to the same standard...again, I suspect that but don't know that. The Abyss even has a milled ring around the wire cable that exits the housing in the back. That ring is filled with underwater sealant (Lifecaulk or 3M4200, not silicone) and completely seals any risk of water getting into the light. It is just a better design in my opinion. The lens also is a high quality lens that is set into the housing in a way that secures it permanently from leakage. I am sure it sounds as though I am plugging Abyss...I AM! I am very impressed with their construction and quality.

primedoc

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have 2 OceanLed A6pro's. This is a pic of them in Percy Priest lake in Nashville which isn't the clearest lake. I love them.
View attachment 3232
I would have preferred the Ocean A6s but the dealer only stocks the SeaBlaze. Didn't want to delay ANOTHER week. I'll just see what these look like and and go from there. Can someone help me out with a wiring question? Given the low load pulled by the LEDs would I be able to splice into the OEM LEDs in the tower to add additional LEDs to the tower speakers or would I need to run all new wiring? Thanks.

Rain sleet or snow, I'm putting her in the water on Friday (I hope).

Forcast.JPG

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can someone help me out with a wiring question? Given the low load pulled by the LEDs would I be able to splice into the OEM LEDs in the tower to add additional LEDs to the tower speakers or would I need to run all new wiring? Thanks. View attachment 3269
First, what SeaBlaze did you get? Based on a SeaBlaze 3 (?) the draw is 2.5A @12VDC per light. You could probably tap right into the existing tower LED's and be just fine. Check the gauge of wire and what fuse is currently at the helm switch for the OEM LED's? The fuse will probably need an upgrade but I'd think the wire (14 - 16 AWG) would be fine. Me, I'd take a volt meter just to see what the draw is for the OEM, then go from there.

tim2808

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I spliced mine off the courtesy light switch at the helm. Everything's been working fine for a year.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You need to fuse the underwater light for obvious reasons. And good underwater lights come with a regulator so that the sensitive and hard driven light isn't damaged. I don't know if the seablaze does or not. But the courtesy lights as well as the tower lights have their own wiring and protection. Adding even a low amp fixture is going to change the percentage of protection, so definitely check it. When I had my boat, the courtesy lights were still incandescent. I changed them to LED bulbs and reduced the load on the circuit breaker, so I added other LED illumination to that circuit to keep it at the recommended 80% level of protection. Just know what it is, and what protection you have on it.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All my original helm circuit breakers are 5a. I'm not sure if the newer models have changed that, but I don't think so. A couple of Seablaze @2.7A would exceed the 5A circuit breaker. But couple of OceanLED @.9A would be fine

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Were any contacts ever made in regards to the Abyss lights? Does anyone know what brand does Yamaha offer as the OEM in the parts and accessories section?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The group buy that we all did a few years back with Abyss was initially headed up by Cowboy Casey. But the local dealer felt circumvented and asked that the deal go through him. He offered a pretty good deal and don't know what they might do again. He has since sold Earmark Marine and I don't know what his input is there now. You might call Earmark and speak to Odin...the online store phone is
1-888-393-6789