• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Upgraded Steering Linkage Bolts

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Decided to change out the steering linkage bushings, and added SS shoulder bolts instead of the mostly thread bolts that were OEM. Hopefully this works out better with reducing the amount of play. I got these from McMaster-Carr. Couldn't find shoulder bolts in marine grade however. Marine grease will help too.

Attachments

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Would you have a McMaster part number please? And how was the final fit?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Would you have a McMaster part number please? And how was the final fit?
I am going to install them this week. I would wait until I report back before purchasing. I have TV's on my boat, so the bolts will float, and secured with nylocks. The next size shorter would be too short according to my calculations. The bushings fit perfect.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I am going to install them this week. I would wait until I report back before purchasing. I have TV's on my boat, so the bolts will float, and secured with nylocks. The next size shorter would be too short according to my calculations. The bushings fit perfect.
I have TVs as well. I'd be worried about the bushings floating out of the sockets, creating play again, since the bolts wouldn't be tight enough to hold them in place

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I have TVs as well. I'd be worried about the bushings floating out of the sockets, creating play again, since the bolts wouldn't be tight enough to hold them in place
No way. Even if you tighten the bolts all the way with the factory bolts, the clevis still has vertical movement. The factory white bushings which are short and split, still move up and down regardless. Hence, the newer style blue bushings.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'm wondering if the bolt doesn't tighten down, the bushings will slip out of the joint

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I'm wondering if the bolt doesn't tighten down, the bushings will slip out of the joint
No, I have done this several times. The reason for going with the shoulder bolts was to eliminate the threaded bolt that could cut or wear the bushings prematurely. Nothing changes about the installation. Just a stronger application. I will post a picture for you after the install. If you watch JBP's install video, he talks about just putting the nut on a few threads, so the fin won't contact the nut or bolt.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
No, I have done this several times. The reason for going with the shoulder bolts was to eliminate the threaded bolt that could cut or wear the bushings prematurely. Nothing changes about the installation. Just a stronger application. I will post a picture for you after the install. If you watch JBP's install video, he talks about just putting the nut on a few threads, so the fin won't contact the nut or bolt.
I understand the premise behind the shoulder bolt... I'm definitely intrigued. Hurry up and do this LoL. I'm going to get these too, I already have the bushings, I was waiting for nicer weather to install them.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
So I tried the bolts today with the short bushings and they eorked perfect, except the bolts are a bit too long, maybe 1/4”. I could make them work with some spacers, but I’ll try the next size shorter. I love wasting noney

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Anyone who is following this thread, ignore the part # I posted. I’m ordering shorter ones. The fit is excellent otherwise. I couls make these work with some washers, but the OCD in me says F that.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Anyone who is following this thread, ignore the part # I posted. I’m ordering shorter ones. The fit is excellent otherwise. I couls make these work with some washers, but the OCD in me says F that.
Watching and waiting

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Idk where you are, but it just snapped cold here in PA again. My shop is only 24' deep, so I need to pull the boat out a bit to get to the drives anyway, unless I'm stuck between the wall and under the swim deck trying to work. So yea, hopefully it gets nice out soon

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Idk where you are, but it just snapped cold here in PA again. My shop is only 24' deep, so I need to pull the boat out a bit to get to the drives anyway, unless I'm stuck between the wall and under the swim deck trying to work. So yea, hopefully it gets nice out soon
I'm in CA and this is the coldest winter I can remember. We're just starting to hit the 70's, but in the 30's at night. Climate change my bootie

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I'm in CA and this is the coldest winter I can remember. We're just starting to hit the 70's, but in the 30's at night. Climate change my bootie
Todays high was 46 at my house.I hate everything about winter. I'm taking the first opportunity I can get to head to the Gulf coast. It was 70 here yesterday, today was 46, tomorrow they are calling for 1-3" of snow!!! PA sucks!!! How much is gas out there?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Todays high was 46 at my house.I hate everything about winter. I'm taking the first opportunity I can get to head to the Gulf coast. It was 70 here yesterday, today was 46, tomorrow they are calling for 1-3" of snow!!! PA sucks!!! How much is gas out there?
Just filled the wifes car. $5.49 for 87. Diesel is $5.69. That’s at the mini mart. The big boys are almost $6. I live within 10 miles of 6 major oil refineries, but we pay higher than someone 100 miles away. Go figure

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Just filled the wifes car. $5.49 for 87. Diesel is $5.69. That’s at the mini mart. The big boys are almost $6. I live within 10 miles of 6 major oil refineries, but we pay higher than someone 100 miles away. Go figure
Ouch... I paid 4.40 today, they said $5.50 by the end of the week

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Watching and waiting
Ok. Wait no more. Here is the final setup. The bolts are 18-8 stainless. M6 is not available in 303 stainless. So hopefully they'll stand up to salt water. If you keep them lubed, I don't see an issue.

Attachments

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Ok. Wait no more. Here is the final setup. The bolts are 18-8 stainless. M6 is not available in 303 stainless. So hopefully they'll stand up to salt water. If you keep them lubed, I don't see an issue.
Good lookin!! I would worry too much about the stainless grade. Lubed should be just and extra iinsurance.