• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195s Saltwater Maintenance

aquilotti1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hello,

I just bought a brand new 2024 Yamaha 195S. I live in Miami Florida. The boat will be used primarily in saltwater. My biggest concern is preventing any issues with corrosion. I went down a rabbit hole and started researching on how to wash down the boat and engine. It did leave me with some questions regarding the various products and frequency of usage. I'll just list those to keep it simple.

1. How many times a year would you clean down the inside of the engine compartment with Yamalube?
  2. Do I need to spray Yamalube on the jet intake grate, jet thrust nozzle, articulating keel and all other metal parts other entire boat like the cleats, all the bolts, ladder?
  3. When washing down the engine is Saltaway a must? or Fresh water for 5 minutes gets the job done?
  4. Should I was down the rest of the boat (interior, hull etc.) with Saltaway every time OR just fresh water should be fine?
  5. Should I use fresh water to wash down the Vinyl Seat cushions or just Vinyl cleaning products?
  6. In regard to the TRAILER, what would be the proper way to clean it out using Yamalube, freshwater and Saltaway? Or just fresh water? (comes with Galvanized Trailer)
If you have any other tips to add those are also welcomed. This is my very first boat I'm buying, I know some of these questions are total rookie questions but I'm just terrified to not make any mistakes and keeping my brand-new boat in pristine conditions throughout its lifespan. Thank you.

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello,

I just bought a brand new 2024 Yamaha 195S. I live in Miami Florida. The boat will be used primarily in saltwater. My biggest concern is preventing any issues with corrosion. I went down a rabbit hole and started researching on how to wash down the boat and engine. It did leave me with some questions regarding the various products and frequency of usage. I'll just list those to keep it simple.

1. How many times a year would you clean down the inside of the engine compartment with Yamalube?
  2. Do I need to spray Yamalube on the jet intake grate, jet thrust nozzle, articulating keel and all other metal parts other entire boat like the cleats, all the bolts, ladder?
  3. When washing down the engine is Saltaway a must? or Fresh water for 5 minutes gets the job done?
  4. Should I was down the rest of the boat (interior, hull etc.) with Saltaway every time OR just fresh water should be fine?
  5. Should I use fresh water to wash down the Vinyl Seat cushions or just Vinyl cleaning products?
  6. In regard to the TRAILER, what would be the proper way to clean it out using Yamalube, freshwater and Saltaway? Or just fresh water? (comes with Galvanized Trailer)
If you have any other tips to add those are also welcomed. This is my very first boat I'm buying, I know some of these questions are total rookie questions but I'm just terrified to not make any mistakes and keeping my brand-new boat in pristine conditions throughout its lifespan. Thank you.
Welcome! Saltwater maintenance is pretty straight forward on these boats, I use SaltAway on both the hull and in the engine every time the boat is used and make sure you clean/dry it well. To answer your questions:

1. Depending on how often you use the boat, maybe every other trip or every 3 trips give the engine a light spray of oil, no need to over do it. I personally don't use the Yamalube, the XPS multi purpose spray is better and tacky so it sticks to the engine better.
2. No need, just ensure to clean well with Salt Away and open the engine bucket to spray all the way into the pump. Every 50 hours I rub a small amount of Lucas marine grease on the steering components but thats it.
3. Salt Away in the engine, then let it run for a few minutes once it's clear, usually flush for about 10min. I wash the boat first then flush so I can dry the boat while the engine is flushing.
4. I use salt away first then rinse with regular water, the salt away can be a bit slippery if left on it's own. (usually, 1 cup full of salt away on the boats exterior/interior, then 1 cap on the engine)
5. Use vinyl sauce on the seats, once a season condition the seats with 303 protectant
6. As you spray off the hull of the boat, spray off the trailer, take care the spray the springs and trailer tung, also spray off the back of our tow vehicle with water.

Fogging the engine is a good practice as well, some will probably say each time but every few times or for storage is good. Sounds like your boat is going to be looking new for years to come!

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@aquilotti1 Congrats on the new boat, Welcome Aboard!

Some additional tips...
1) Get a garden sprayer or similar dispenser from HomeDepot/Lowes. Dilute a small amount of Salt-Away/Salt-Off with water. Spray the trailer springs/hubs and lugs after each dunking. The salt will start wreaking havoc while you're cruising the ICW or hanging out at the sandbar. I started this process after having to replace my springs, and ~3 year later and I have minimal rust/corrosion on my springs. Yes, it adds ~1-2 minutes during the launch/retrieval process, so weight the time/tradeoff.

2) Don't forgot to spray with some form of protectant (White Lithium, CorrosionX, YamaShield), all of the hose clams that are in the bilge - the area under the swim platform, accessible via the small hatch by your cleanout port. Also a good idea to rinse out this area after your outings if you notice any water in your bilge.

3) I don't believe Yamaha has changed their hose clamps on the engine to Stainless, so be sure to treat these

4) Don't forget to spray/treat the electrical wiring behind the dash with Yamashield or the like

5) Rinse your captain's/co-captain seat down well, the pedestal components and supportive springs inside the seat can corrode from the salt water.

Also, you asked about the duration between spraying/treating with protectants, that is going to vary based upon the product you use and its longevity. I would venture to say that in my experience, basic silicone spray and Yamasheild seem to be on the lower end of the spectrum for longevity (especially when exposed to water), CorrosionX HD is a once a year treatment on the hose clamps/engine mounts.

Oh, you asked about washing, use a boat wash. Many are biodegradable, do not strip wax, and help with water spots, and remove grime much more efficiently than water alone. The one I linked to, just 2-3 capfuls and the small bottle will most likely last you a few seasons!

In time you're find the process that works best for you!