• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2005 Yamaha SX230 Tachometer Replacement

lewj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cross posting here from the Yamaha Jetboaters Facebook group to make the info easier to find for folks needing it in the future.

Earlier this month while out in the boat, I saw the port tachometer needle drop to zero, followed by a brief orange glow and a curl of smoke behind the glass. Engine continued to operate just fine and we headed back to the dock.

The gauge used in 2005 is a Beede 946482 which goes to 11k RPM and includes indicator lights for check-engine, low-oil, and overheat.

It unfortunately is no longer available - maybe find one in a boat junkyard somewhere but my search was unsuccessful.

I saw suggestions online for the Beede 946858 but it goes only to 9k RPM - the 11k RPM version is the 946827 which is still available from various sources.

Except... the old gauge has wires coming off/out of it to a 6 pin connector and the new gauge has an 8 pin socket built into the back.

With a bit of research I was able to obtain the pin-outs for the socket on the back of 946827 from Beede, identify the pins/wires for the original tach, and locate matching connectors already built with pigtails.

Armed with all this I built a crossover cable to mate the new gauge to the SX230 wiring harness. The only modification I had to make on the boat was for the gauge lamp wire (blue) which is wired separately from the 6 pin connector - I put a male bullet connector on the crossover cable and replaced the ring terminal with female bullet on the boat wiring.

Everything works!

Since the 946827 gauge face is labelled High Output I also replaced the (functioning) starboard gauge so everything matches up.

Posting info for anyone in the future who might need to do this.

Sources for Deutch 6-pin and 8-pin pigtails:
Assembled Black Deutsch 16 Awg Harness waterproof connector Pigtail | eBay

New Gauge - Beede 946827:
https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/beede-boat-tachometer-gauge-946827-yamaha-jet-systems-check-high-output

Details for pin outs:

Pins in existing connector, and color wire to old gauge:
1 - Port Tach - gray
2 - Port Tach Power - red
3 - Port Tach Ground - black
4 - Port Lo Oil - Purple - rightmost indicator
5 - Port Overheat - Green - middle indicator
6 - Port Check Engine - Blue - left indicator

Gauge lamp (illumination) from blue wire not in connector, wired separately.

Pins on new gauge
1 - +12V
2 - Ground
3 - Tach Signal
4 - gauge lamp
5 - left indicator - check engine
6 - middle indicator - overheat
7 - right indicator - low oil
8 - not connected

IMG_1786.jpeg1687794633466.png
IMG_1809.jpegIMG_1810.jpegIMG_1868.jpeg
1687794597401.png1687794574722.png1687794376746.png

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for posting it up here. I'm the one who was begging you to on the Facebook group. This will no doubt help a few people out.

Aquablu

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cross posting here from the Yamaha Jetboaters Facebook group to make the info easier to find for folks needing it in the future.

Earlier this month while out in the boat, I saw the port tachometer needle drop to zero, followed by a brief orange glow and a curl of smoke behind the glass. Engine continued to operate just fine and we headed back to the dock.

The gauge used in 2005 is a Beede 946482 which goes to 11k RPM and includes indicator lights for check-engine, low-oil, and overheat.

It unfortunately is no longer available - maybe find one in a boat junkyard somewhere but my search was unsuccessful.

I saw suggestions online for the Beede 946858 but it goes only to 9k RPM - the 11k RPM version is the 946827 which is still available from various sources.

Except... the old gauge has wires coming off/out of it to a 6 pin connector and the new gauge has an 8 pin socket built into the back.

With a bit of research I was able to obtain the pin-outs for the socket on the back of 946827 from Beede, identify the pins/wires for the original tach, and locate matching connectors already built with pigtails.

Armed with all this I built a crossover cable to mate the new gauge to the SX230 wiring harness. The only modification I had to make on the boat was for the gauge lamp wire (blue) which is wired separately from the 6 pin connector - I put a male bullet connector on the crossover cable and replaced the ring terminal with female bullet on the boat wiring.

Everything works!

Since the 946827 gauge face is labelled High Output I also replaced the (functioning) starboard gauge so everything matches up.

Posting info for anyone in the future who might need to do this.

Sources for Deutch 6-pin and 8-pin pigtails:

New Gauge - Beede 946827:
https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/beede-boat-tachometer-gauge-946827-yamaha-jet-systems-check-high-output

Details for pin outs:

Pins in existing connector, and color wire to old gauge:
1 - Port Tach - gray
2 - Port Tach Power - red
3 - Port Tach Ground - black
4 - Port Lo Oil - Purple - rightmost indicator
5 - Port Overheat - Green - middle indicator
6 - Port Check Engine - Blue - left indicator

Gauge lamp (illumination) from blue wire not in connector, wired separately.

Pins on new gauge
1 - +12V
2 - Ground
3 - Tach Signal
4 - gauge lamp
5 - left indicator - check engine
6 - middle indicator - overheat
7 - right indicator - low oil
8 - not connected

View attachment 202892View attachment 202895
View attachment 202891View attachment 202890View attachment 202889
View attachment 202894View attachment 202893View attachment 202888
Would the one listed on GREATLAKESKIPPER Beede # 946858 work since it doesn’t appear to be a HO ? Many thanks!

gpb11

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would the one listed on GREATLAKESKIPPER Beede # 946858 work since it doesn’t appear to be a HO ? Many thanks!
Depends on whether your motors go beyond the 9k RPM of the gauge.

I’d match replacement max RPM original.

FWIW I have the other original gauge available but haven’t posted it for sale yet.

Aquablu

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The rep at Yamaha looked up the engine spec and said I needed tachs to handle at least 7800 RPM’s. So guess that would mean the # 946858 doing 9k should work barring any other surprises. You say you have an original tach? Please keep me posted on that if possible…thanks again!