• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2009 SX 210 Whine

mcdowejo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just Purchased an SX 210 2009. Is it common for these things to whine at low rpm? Only will do it in the water not the hose. Pulled the pump out and the cone bearings feel smooth. any ideas, or don't worry about it.

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same boat and I don't get a whine. Are you sure it is not coming from the motors? When you are in the water are you at speed or idle? What does it sound like at speed and idle?

mcdowejo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don’t think it coming from the motors. Out of the water on the hose there is no whine. It only whines at idle to about 3000 rpm’s. After that on plane at speed it is not noticeable.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
whine is a pretty subjective term, could you get a video of it?

both sides make the whine ? that would be really odd?

I would have guessed either cone bearings or maybe your intermediate bearing but if both sides are whining the chances of both going bad is a very unique problem,

did you check your impeller clearance gaps ?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am with Scott. The impeller clearance gaps could cause the whine at those RPMs in the water. Video would be a great way to help us to understand where and when of the whine. If it was bearings you would think the whine would continue as RPMs increase?

mcdowejo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The boat sat for 7 years not being used. Both engines are doing the same whine. Sounds like a loud turbo charger spooling up. I pulled the pumps apart and the cone bearings turn smooth with out any binding or rough spots. I will check the impeller clearance tonight. Do you know what the clearance should be? Not shore how I would check the intermediate bearing with out pulling the motor away.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1690991041768.png

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
have you added an grease to the intermediate bearing ?

mcdowejo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the clearance specs. Also is there a seal the impeller shafts goes through? I have some light shaft scoring up by the splines.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
scoring as in discoloration or removal of metal ??

many impeller shafts have places of discoloration, I think from sucking up ropes and such,

a picture would be helpful,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length