• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 242 Limited SE Bilge Pump Running

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The boat is fairly new to me. Last year I used it a few times then winterized it and removed the batteries. I taped the wires together so I could figure out what went where and took pictures. This spring I lost the pictures and hooked up the batteries how I thought they should. Now with the battery switches off, the bilge pump still runs. Anybody run into this problem before? To be honest, I haven't looked into it, but wondering if this is normal, like the switch still works with the batteries off or something that I don't know?

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When we first got our boat I had a dual battery setup with a switch. Bilge pumps are usually wired to still have power even if your switch is off, sometimes wired via the switch or directly to a battery. I changed mine to only work when the batteries are on, so if I’m on the water I leave battery 1 on at the very least. Trace your bilge wire to however it is hooked up and you can change it to only being on when you want it to, just make sure you leave a battery on whenever you’re in the water.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The bilge pump has been cycling for a few weeks now. Today I went out to look how I wired the batteries. The ground wires share common ground so that can't be it. Also there isn't much to do with the power wires. Start wire goes to start battery, house wire goes to house battery, 60A fuse (I guess for stereo) goes to house battery. I tried that wire on both batteries, no change. The toggle switch there is the ground wire for the DVSR so I can turn it on/off as needed. So I don't think this problem has anything to do with the battery hook up. I also went through the connext settings and didn't see anything.

IMG_7831.jpg

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Maybe the previous owner changed the wiring and has it hooked to one of the battery posts on the switch or something else so that it always has power. Was the boat left in the water by the previous owner?

There is a fuse box in the picture check the fuses one is for the solar panels if the battery terminals touch positive to negative while they are laying not connected with batteries removed and the sun is shinning the fuse will pop. My boat was used and I was probing what battery was charged from the solar panel and realized the fuse was burnt out.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Maybe the previous owner changed the wiring and has it hooked to one of the battery posts on the switch or something else so that it always has power. Was the boat left in the water by the previous owner?

There is a fuse box in the picture check the fuses one is for the solar panels if the battery terminals touch positive to negative while they are laying not connected with batteries removed and the sun is shinning the fuse will pop. My boat was used and I was probing what battery was charged from the solar panel and realized the fuse was burnt out.
Yeah it was left in the water. I checked the bilge wire going to the harness and it wasn't modified. But last year before I winterized it, I didn't hear that bilge pump cycling. It's very weird

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It makes sense that the bilge pump should always have power going to it the problem is they used a water sensing bilge pumps that cycles and I guess that's what your hearing. If left on these drain the battery and I don't think the solar chargers can keep up with the power drain. If it always has power pull that stock one out and hook one up with a float switch . Even better get a cheap water alarm these should be a mandatory safety item especially on these boats.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It makes sense that the bilge pump should always have power going to it the problem is they used a water sensing bilge pumps that cycles and I guess that's what your hearing. If left on these drain the battery and I don't think the solar chargers can keep up with the power drain. If it always has power pull that stock one out and hook one up with a float switch . Even better get a cheap water alarm these should be a mandatory safety item especially on these boats.

If its normal then I will leave it alone, I always have it on the battery charger. I just don't remember this pump running last year with the battery switches off.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not sure about the 2019 but my 2017xe would be off with switches set to off. Occasionally if I pulled into the driveway at night I would see the tower light do a brief flash then I would realize the pump just cycled they were somehow tied together it was a reminder and signal that I left the switches or switch on.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think if the battery switches are off, but the key is on, the bilge pump will run. I just went outside and confirmed the key was on but battery switches were off. Maybe that 3rd wire with the 60AMP fuse is always on for the amplifier and bilge pump. And the bilge pump is wired through the ignition switch. I turned off the key and waited for 3 minutes and didn't hear it cycle. Maybe for people who wet slip, they can leave the key on with battery switches off for the bilge pump to run. I'll have to confirm later when I have time. I just had a light bulb moment and had to leave my work to investigate lol

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That could be specific to 2018 to 2021 Models. The 2016 and 2017 have a different set up using the connext screens they even had some wiring issues such as both voltage gauges reading from the same battery. Eventually they switched to float style bilge pumps

Keep us posted on what you find , the other thing you could also check is the battery on off switches have lugs on the back and power can be taken from that point as well. You can remove the covers by reaching to the back of the switch from the engine compartment.

I can see a power wire in your picture not sure if its going in or coming out

Tuesday, May 07, 2024.jpg

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't have a float style bilge pump, but I would like to add 1. I noticed the other day that the bilge pump runs sometimes when driving. I'll have to do some investigating of that.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I took a lot of preventative measure to stop the water getting into the engine compartment. The biggest issue was the clean out port drain, it fills the tray and that water pours down all over the clamps on the exhaust water box. To test put a cork in that drain hole then fill the tray with water from the hose if the boat is jacked up so the bow is up higher the water will pour out the transom drain plug. One member put a go pro in the compartment to show how much water reverse flows into the clean out tray area.

water out.jpg