• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 242SE: louder vibration at idle, one engine only

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I noticed this weekend that my starboard engine is vibrating a lot louder than my port engine. This is primarily at idle and in no wake mode. Could an engine mount be loose? It’s still under warranty so I am taking it to the dealer this week, but it is noticeably louder than the port engine, which sounds as quiet as a sewing machine. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check the engine mounts first.
Is there something in the impeller?
What do the spark plugs look like?

I'd start with the basics first. Taking it to a dealer this late in our season may mean that your done boating unless your dealer is unlike any that I have ever seen.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The funny thing is, I didn’t even think of the impeller. We haven’t had anything stuck in there in months and months, and I was on a (relatively) clean lake. That may be all that it is. Dealer has other things to check anyway, so all is not lost. But thank you.

phil1639

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The funny thing is, I didn’t even think of the impeller. We haven’t had anything stuck in there in months and months, and I was on a (relatively) clean lake. That may be all that it is. Dealer has other things to check anyway, so all is not lost. But thank you.
What did the dealer find

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
They didn’t find anything when we hooked a hose up. They basically were like, “it’s a boat”, which was super frustrating. One of the service guys said he’d be willing to come to my dock to listen to it, but that never happened. I will have it in the water next week for the first time this year, and I’ll see how it sounds.

Creightn13

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed this weekend that my starboard engine is vibrating a lot louder than my port engine. This is primarily at idle and in no wake mode. Could an engine mount be loose? It’s still under warranty so I am taking it to the dealer this week, but it is noticeably louder than the port engine, which sounds as quiet as a sewing machine. Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
I had a similar experience early this year. A new set of spark plugs solved it.

bobholthaus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ll try that, thank you.
Btw, when I click the No-wake throttle button up one click (which increases RPM), the vibration goes away.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've had the same thing since I bought my boat new in 2020. Starboard engine "rattle" at super low RPMs. I have a theory that it's the arm connecting to the rudder (somewhere in that mechanism), because when you hear the rattle, you can turn your wheel all the way right or left and make it go away. It's also on the Starboard engine where the rudder is connected.

My rattle also goes away when increasing RPM just slightly, which makes me think the drag of the water on the mechanism stops it from shaking.

satovod

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Btw, when I click the No-wake throttle button up one click (which increases RPM), the vibration goes away.
replace impeller housing. Search for "impeller housing" here and you will find a lot of similar posts like yours.

OEM replacement $120, takes 2-3h with beer.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2017 and it’s been that way since new. Like you I just put on no wake mode and kick it up one.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
replace impeller housing. Search for "impeller housing" here and you will find a lot of similar posts like yours.

OEM replacement $120, takes 2-3h with beer.
Can you explain this further? I don’t have any cavitation on that side so the impeller seems tight in the assembly.