• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2020 Maiden Voyage 34mph? <SX190>

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Are these all GPS speeds or do some boats still have lie-o-meters?

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just fyi - I don't know all the specifics but there are threads on here claiming that in 2019 forward models the ribbon is part of the intake and you have actually cut it out making it much more a PIA than previous models. Definitely still doable but pay off before was worth it because it was so easy, it could be that the pay off isn't worth the effort in the new models.

Edit: Here is the thread where I first heard of this.
I just read that link! Thanks alot, it's not worth a couple hundred RPMs for me to risk butchering up my manifold. I'm installing Cobrajets and I'll try and break it in proper for the next 8 hours or so (so hard for me to not stay WOT in a slow boat though) I'll check the oil isn't over full and change it at the 10 hour mark. Love the boat though and still glad I purchased it. I'm coming from jetskis where fast hole shot and high speed was there at your fingertips always so I'll just have to get used to chill mode.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have verified my 2019 SX190 with GPS at 40-42 mph top speed. Everyday top speed is at least 38-40, 41-42 requires perfect conditions.
You also have a 2019 with the new hull design correct? This is interesting, such a variation in speed. Any modifications and/or what altitude are you boating? I'm deciding between AR190 vs. 195 and would like to be on the upper 30's but mid to low 30's concerns me.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You also have a 2019 with the new hull design correct? This is interesting, such a variation in speed. Any modifications and/or what altitude are you boating? I'm deciding between AR190 vs. 195 and would like to be on the upper 30's but mid to low 30's concerns me.
Yes I definitely have the 2019 , zero mods, 44 hours now. I’m boating at roughly 1,000 elevation in North Carolina. Yeah if mine were mid to low 30’s I’d be trading for a supercharged but I easily get 38-40 full fuel, 2 adults 1 child. And I get the benefit of 87 octane gas and better fuel economy.
Oh and my GPS readings are validated using my SIMRAD GO7 in the dash

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I definitely have the 2019 , zero mods, 44 hours now. I’m boating at roughly 1,000 elevation in North Carolina. Yeah if mine were mid to low 30’s I’d be trading for a supercharged but I easily get 38-40 full fuel, 2 adults 1 child. And I get the benefit of 87 octane gas and better fuel economy.
Oh and my GPS readings are validated using my SIMRAD GO7 in the dash
Thank you for the reply. I'm agree with you and the reasons you are listing are the ones having me still considering the AR190 because I don't need more than 38-40 mph and having not only the 87 octane gas but the much higher range with better fuel economy vs the supercharged. Now, lows to mid 30s would favor the AR195. Appreciate your feedback, just make my decision even harder. I'm at around 900 elevation here in Indiana.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hopefully the computer in the new boats are restricting performance for some hours during break-in....

I know I’d be embarrassed to watch a pontoon boat pass me.

UFfitz56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hit 39-40mph today with calm water for the first time - Just me in the boat, bimini down, 50% fuel. 37-38mph with my wife and baby 100% fuel. 10 hours now and first oil change done so definitely seems to be opening up a tad.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm in the upper 30's maybe 40 in cooler weather. In 90's and high water temp, I'm at around 36-37. 19 SX190.

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hit 39-40mph today with calm water for the first time - Just me in the boat, bimini down, 50% fuel. 37-38mph with my wife and baby 100% fuel. 10 hours now and first oil change done so definitely seems to be opening up a tad.
Excellent and very good news for you. What you reached today for example would be perfect for me and I would be more than happy. Better gas mileage and range, 87 octane gas, upper 30's mph. Have you pulled a tube yet?

UFfitz56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No but pulled my fat ass up easily wakeboarding yesterday and my friend said it tracked very well with the cobra viper fins!

UFfitz56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Are these all GPS speeds or do some boats still have lie-o-meters?
Oh and OP if you're going off of the oem speedo it's been consistently 2mph lower than my simrad. I must say the oem speedo is pretty accurate under 30mph though.

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I had the chance to run an sx190 the other day. They are dog slow. Hole shot sucks, acceleration sucks, there is no comparison.I am so glad i went with the AR195. I don't see how you all are getting 40mph in a 190... we were lucky to hit 28-30mph with 4 people and about 15% fuel left in the 190. You must have flawless water conditions....

Sugarcharged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the chance to run an sx190 the other day. They are dog slow. Hole shot sucks, acceleration sucks, there is no comparison.I am so glad i went with the AR195. I don't see how you all are getting 40mph in a 190... we were lucky to hit 28-30mph with 4 people and about 15% fuel left in the 190. You must have flawless water conditions....
Hello icemanj16. What estimated altitude were you boating? What speed can you get with the AR195 in similar conditions? Thank you.

icemanj16

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
@Sugarcharged in Ohio... in the same slight chop, boat with 4 people, cooler, full of gas I can get around 45mph... same water i ran the sx190 in.... the performance is night and day difference in my opinion....

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Sugarcharged in Ohio... in the same slight chop, boat with 4 people, cooler, full of gas I can get around 45mph... same water i ran the sx190 in.... the performance is night and day difference in my opinion....
After getting to take my boat out a few times now. I love my SX190, I don't get 40mph like some people claim but I can roll 30 in huge Memorial Day chop with 6 adults and 3/4 tank of fuel. I can also take my boat to the lake 4 times before having to fuel up, so it's cheap for us to play in over the season. The N/A motors are intended to run on 87 Octain as apposed to the 195 which says 91 minimum in the manual I believe, so savings on the water and at the pump. It's no speed demon, but it will make it to the same destination as your 195 is going eventually with alot more fuel left than you =P It's just about what you want out of your boat. I wouldnt trade mine for a 195 because it's perfect for my application.

UFfitz56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I feel like the limiting factor is the 19 foot hull in anything other than calm water? I can easily get over 30mph with 4 people in a light chop, but it isn't exactly comfortable... I couldn't imagine going any faster in the 195 in chop with my wife on board. Expectations for the sx/ar190 should be realistic it is a great family boat not some high performance jetski. When I want to go fast I always have my race car!

FWIW I disagree I've been very pleased with the holeshot - 3.3 seconds to plane is NOT slow and is quicker than most OB-I/O's in the same category I was shopping.

Jetstream79

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I feel like the limiting factor is the 19 foot hull in anything other than calm water? I can easily get over 30mph with 4 people in a light chop, but it isn't exactly comfortable... I couldn't imagine going any faster in the 195 in chop with my wife on board. Expectations for the sx/ar190 should be realistic it is a great family boat not some high performance jetski. When I want to go fast I always have my race car!

FWIW I disagree I've been very pleased with the holeshot - 3.3 seconds to plane is NOT slow and is quicker than most OB-I/O's in the same category I was shopping.
I didn't find my holeshot to be bad either. I never test drove a 195, but I assume it's the same as driving a race care or a family sedan. Nothing wrong with the Sedan just intended for two different purposes. Comfort level differs from person to person, we enjoy bouncing across big wakes at 30mph, so don't consider it uncomfortable, we just expect it in a 19ft boat. My big thing is do I feel safe in bigger chop (Memorial Day weekend traffic etc)? Yes I do, the 19ft handles like a well thought out 19ft boat in choppy water when driven with care I think.

LASwxman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh and OP if you're going off of the oem speedo it's been consistently 2mph lower than my simrad. I must say the oem speedo is pretty accurate under 30mph though.
I have had similar experience. OEM speedo is around 2 mph lower than GPS. Interesting since many on here have opposite.