• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

A few gripes with the 190

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've had my sx190 for a few weeks now and overall I'm pretty happy, but there are a few features that really bug me.

Tow hook. The tow hook on the transom just sinks. I've towed a tube and wakeboard and on a few occasions the rope would slip off the hook when there's no tension on the rope (i.e idling). My last boat had a cleat-like style anchor that allowed you to pass the rope through a ring before latching which worked much better. The solution for the time being seems to be double looping the hook. I've read that some of you use your side cleats instead.

Removable seat tops. The under seat storage is great, but the removable seat covers are really annoying to deal with on a 19' boat. There's just not enough room with people on board to remove the seat top, especially because theyre so snug and need to be angled to be removed with the captain's chairs so close. I feel like hinged tops would make much more sense. Fully removing the seat top to get to the cooler makes grabbing a beer such a process!

Anchor. I've found the anchor storage to be a pain for the same reason. Although it's a nice self draining compartment, I would prefer a deeper locker in front of the bow seat with a hinged door. I had one on my 19' Four Winns and it made anchoring much easier.

Dashboard gauges. Why don't we have engine temp or oil pressure readings? I feel like these are basic necessity for measuring your engine's health. I want to know I'm fully warmed up before I hit wot!

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to see if anyone else has similar experiences. I guess I'm asking a lot from the 19' category, but I feel like Yamaha usually catches these things!

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
AMEN Harshhobgoblin!!

I have had my 2016 SX190 for a couple weeks too now and I have noticed the same items. Overall I love the boat and will deal with the issues.

I have a 60' tow rope and I found the spray form the jet was too much for riders. I added 20' of additional tow rope to get rid of this issue. the rope I used id much thicker and does not slip out of the tow eye and gives me the extra length I needed. The specific rope I got was 5/8 twisted polypropylene. The 20' rope with a overhand loop knot at each end. the new section of rope goes between the boat and the standard tow rope.

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Harshhobgoblin

I agree with your assessment of folding seats and the anchor compartment on a 19' or less boat. That's one of the things I like about the FSH, although the flip-up seats are a quite spartan compared to AR190/192 seats, obviously. I hope to get an FSH and will absolutely include Seadek around the FSH flip-up seats and gunnel/rails to make them feel more "luxurious" lol.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My next boat will DEFINITELY have hinged seats. I completely agree with your seat assessment. I have tears in the back corners of most of mine from all the abuse they get being thrown around the boat and it's only a 2014 with under 100 hours on it. I did see that they upgraded the upholstery for 2016 (maybe 2015 too but I haven't seen the inside of one).

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
for the folks that are new to the jetboat and towing tubes, be very careful with the ropes going under the rear of the boat. The intake grate is right behind the jet pump. Don't join the inhaled a rope club, its a PITA.

Harshhobgoblin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So relieved I'm not the only one with these issues! I felt like I was doing it all wrong or something, thanks for the feedback.

@ Michael, Ive been vigilant about watching the rope (which can be hard while also captaining). I haven't sucked one up yet, but I'm sure it will happen. Any tips/tricks when the inevitable happens?

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have had our 2016 SX190 for a couple of weeks as well. Since it is only my wife and I we don't have a need to move the seat covers as the storage compartment in front of the passenger is more than enough. We also don't tow tubes or ski so no problems there. I do feel the gauges / cluster/ swim mats could be more upscale. Also, the missing lower swim platform mat is kind of ridiculous for a 30k boat and it is a bit noisy. I really wanted the upscale features on the 192 but wanted better MPG.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
when I sucked up a rope, I had to cut as much of it out as I could on the water, drive it to my trailer (after cutting out the rope, driving was fine), trailer it, take off the pump and get the rest out.

Probably took 1 hour to cut the rope out and then 15-20 minutes after the boat was on the trailer pulling the pump.

Bring a sharp knife, leave it on the boat....

Swimmingly

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I haven't sucked one up yet, but I'm sure it will happen. Any tips/tricks when the inevitable happens?
I've seen small buoys/floats that a ski rope threads through, to keep a rope on top of the water. Never needed to use them, but my family wants to tube, so I may try that option.

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
These are all the same things I dont like about my 212, thats why Im looking forward to late August for the release of the potentially updated 212s. Dont get me wrong I love my boat but they really missed it on those items. We have been keeping our soft cooler in the ski locker if that helps anyone

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I notice all the same items. I guess thats life on an entry level boat? I don't know, but thats how I write it off. When I find a nice used 242 I'll find problems with that probably too.

Last edited:

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@njmr2fan you are 100% right. it is was it is. every boat has some issues - not just entry level boats. I can deal with what I have found so far in my SX 192.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 240s didn't get hinged seating or improved sound deadening until 2015. So going used to get better is a relative term.

By the way, the intake grate is in front of the impeller/pump not behind it. If you can get to a no wake zone before starting or completely removing it try and do so, it never easy but it is easier without the wake of other boats hitting you.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
for the folks that are new to the jetboat and towing tubes, be very careful with the ropes going under the rear of the boat. The intake grate is right behind the jet pump. Don't join the inhaled a rope club, its a PITA.
Doh! I joined this last weekend. No damage to rope or boat though It did take me 30 min to slowly untangle. Thank goodness for the cleanout.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I put my cooler in the ski locker as opposed to using it in the storage areas. Much better now than removing cushions and also saves some life on the cushions.

Gonrcng

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Who sucks up ropes???? Jet noobs... Lol
This isn't my brand new first day out tube rope either.. It's just some guy I know.image.png

I....I mean HE always keeps a great assortment of cutting tools on board now. Left us.... I mean them stranded for 2 hours when this happened. Lol

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
These are all the same things I dont like about my 212, thats why Im looking forward to late August for the release of the potentially updated 212s. Dont get me wrong I love my boat but they really missed it on those items. We have been keeping our soft cooler in the ski locker if that helps anyone
I bought two soft sided coolers from Bass Pro Shops which I also started keeping in the floor locker since I rarely keeps skis in the boat. It's much more convenient than having to ask someone to get out of their seat so I can get a beer, plus saves on the wear and tear of the cushions.

gpp7824

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found a reference to these short height coolers and they are an amazing fit under the bench seat of the AR 190/192.
There is about a 1/4' of vertical clearance under the cross bar with no carpet in place. I'll be installing seadek later this season and fingers crossed they still fit.

http://www.coleman.com/24-can-party-stacker-cooler-blue/3000000433.html
You can find them on amazon, target, and coleman online.

Don't get me wrong these are no comparison to a Yeti, but for a day on the water you can fit upto 2 of these under the bench and its a simple matter of sliding it out to grab a drink/snack and then push it back under.

EDIT:---------
Installed the SeaDek and the Coleman Party Stacker is still a happy fit under the bench. It is a close fit under the bench support rod, but still slides under easily!!!
@haknslash : you disliked the original post, does this make it better/worse? :)

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice find! Nothing wrong with Coleman as I don't get caught up in the whole 'it must be a Yeti' craze.