• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

About to buy Yamaha Ar210 need help

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ha! Only you can answer that. The 24 is sweet, indeed. Doubt you'd regret the extra size but it will almost certainly be more expensive. Frankly, a find the 21 footer to be plenty of boat, but if you're going to take 7 or 8 grown buddies out with you on the boat, the 24 will provide more elbow room. 6 full grown adults is perfectly comfortable on the 21 - 2 at the back, 2 mid-ship, 2 in the bow. 8 is fine of they're couples (i.e. don't mind being close).

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
yeah 24 feeet is big. i had a rinker that was a 19 foot but felt so crammed. yamaha does make it a good feeling with the wide floor and engine tucked i dont feel crammed anymore. i dont want to then get the 21 foot and be upset. but then againthe 21 footer might be just perfect. but i would hate to get one then want to get the bigger one

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Really comes down to how you'll use the boat and what your priorities are. In my own life, I've found that there is always something bigger and better to "want" and I've had to make conscious decisions to balance that against some yardstick of rationality. Not saying a 24 foot Yamaha is unreasonable for you. For me, the additional cost of the bigger boat and the fact that I'd also have to pay to store it outweighed the additional enjoyment I thought I might get from it. We set a budget when we went boat shopping and stuck to it. Believe me, there was definitely temptation in the form of Wakesetters, Cobalts, 24 foot Yamahas, etc. I, personally, decided I would rather have the $10K+ (or not be making payments on a $60-$80K boat) in the bank and not be stretched to pay for the boat. That equation could very likely come out different for you (and perhaps you have a lot more money than me!).

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2011 SX210 and i often think about upgrading to a 24 foot Yamaha. I have not been pushed over the edge yet... I do agree with a comment i read on here a while back that said something about, is the additional 3' of boat for an additional $20,000 going to add $20,000 worth of enjoyment on the water? Since i primarily float around i haven't been persuaded to do it. My main regret is not getting the AR version with the tower. At the time i didn't wake board so didn't care, but now that i picked it up, it can get crowded in the 21' boat with people and wake boards/tubes, etc... The tower gives you more storage options for gear.

Long story short, i rairly hear people say they wish they bought a smaller boat. For me, this was my first boat, im glad i bought the one i bought. This was Yamaha's entry level boat back when i bought it. I have been VERY happy with it. I didnt want to stretch my budget at the time and wanted it to have minimal impact on finances. Im sure it is only a matter of time before i "upgrade" though

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
my budget is 31k, my trucks paid off and almost done paying off my jetski like just about done, i am sold on the yamaha jet boat. its just finding which one. i feel like the 21 footer is deinitly going to be perfect. the 24s are definitly pricey. even the ar230. im not sure i like the whole layout of the ar230 either, plus to afford that im going back and i loose technology as welll in the boat. I evententually want to modify it and put 2 batterys possibly trolling motor, and do the stereo system and even maybe a down rigger and some pole holders. The ar190 would fit into my garage which is awsome, but I can store the boat on my property outdoors. I dont want to hate that i did a 19 footer thats too small. then want the 24, i sat in the new 24 footers. they are huge. but bigger is better lol

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-Yamaha-AR210-102374971
this one has 30 hours original on the boat!!! 17,500
That one has non HO MR1 engines. The ad lists the horsepower at 440 but it is actually 220. Each engine is 110.

I would consider 2007+ 230s, 2011+ 240s, and 212s and newer 210s. Hopefully someone can tell us when the engines were upgraded in the 210s. 2010s with 1.8 liter engines can have oil cooler issues that require $1,300 in parts to repair.

I think you will have trouble finding a decent 240 in your budget but you could get an excellent 230 and have money left for mods.

Last edited:

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
he only claimed though that they dont know the hours, which seems sketchy cause they have a computer system.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
210s have run the same 110hp 1052cc engines for quite some time. My 2011 has the same engines as a 2015 210. FWIW, I find it to have plenty of power for everything we do with the boat - tubing, skiing, boarding, surfing, cruising on our local lake at about 420 feet of elevation. Obviously, more power iwould be fine but I've really never felt like we've suffered from a lack of power during our normal boating. In fact, our boat is faster out of the hole than any of my friends' V8 powered I/O or V-Drive boats and at 45ish on top will run within a few mph of the fastest of their boats on top (and a couple mph faster than the V-Drive). I will say that the power was borderline when we were up at Lake Tahoe last summer - 6,000 feet of elevation, temp of 80. No problem for cruising - boat would run 33 mph with 4 adults and 5 small children aboard, which was plenty for the conditions - but I would not have wanted to try to pull a tube or a wakeboarder as it took a looooong time to get up on plane.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you think a 21 is a good fit but you want the most available power, look for a 212 - X has the tower, SS does not. Those boats would be A LOT of fun!

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
i think the 21 footer is perfect fit and i cant go wrong. what year though should i do for a 212x

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That one has non HO MR1 engines. The ad lists the horsepower at 440 but it is actually 220. Each engine is 110.

The non HO (high output) MR1s burn a lot more fuel than the HO versions.

I would consider 2007+ 230s, 2011+ 240s, and 212s and newer 210s. Hopefully
woah good to know, thanks for the input there, this is the one at the same dealer i would buy the ar190 http://www.pier47.com/preowned/mcentee/mcentee.php let me know what you think
Looks in decent shape, stereo looks like it has been replaced. Do the ARs come with speakers on the tower as stock? I presume it was used in salt water primarily did they service the boat? Does the boat include the flush kit?

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
the dealer said the boat is regualr serviced at the marina, he is a guy that keeps buying boats every few years bigger and bigger. he also buys alot of jetskis from them as well. all mainence has been done by dealer
Looks in decent shape, stereo looks like it has been replaced. Do the ARs come with speakers on the tower as stock? I presume it was used in salt water primarily did they service the boat? Does the boat include the flush kit?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe I was wrong about the fuel consumption on the early 210s.

Last year when I was calculating fuel burn for the Bimini crossing I referenced this BoatTest.com result for an non HO 230 http://www.boattest.com/Partners/Partner-Main.aspx?lp_id=403&Videoid=663&p=0&s= .

I assumed that the early 210s had the same engine as the non HO 230s. But the test results for a 2007 SX210 counter that

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
also whats the difference from a 212x and a ar210
212 series boats will have the higher output engines - 160 hp 1052s each up to 2011 and 180 1.8s starting in 2012. I'm not sure what year the X was introduced, but IIRC it was 2012, so 180s. If I'm right about 2012, that would also mean that it came with cruise assist (a simple cruise control) and built in aft ballast bags. The 210 would have twin 110 hp engines, no cruise and no factory ballast. X was significantly more expensive than the AR, so it may be a bit more challenging finding one at 31K. I don't really know for sure, though, as I've never shopped for one.

Christian Sciaulino

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
212 series boats will have the higher output engines - 160 hp 1052s each up to 2011 and 180 1.8s starting in 2012. I'm not sure what year the X was introduced, but IIRC it was 2012, so 180s. If I'm right about 2012, that would also mean that it came with cruise assist (a simple cruise control) and built in aft ballast bags. The 210 would have twin 110 hp engines, no cruise and no factory ballast. X was significantly more expensive than the AR, so it may be a bit more challenging finding one at 31K. I don't really know for sure, though, as I've never shopped for one.
So I cant go wrong with a 212 in 2011 as long as it has low hours then? the X's look like they really hold there value so thats out of the question.
with the 2011 ar212 im most likely going to have the same payment as the new ar190 . so then do i just do the new boat? i mean is 2 feet a whole big difference. i know the technology in the 2011 is better plus comes with cover and then i have the 2 motors which is good too

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Personally, I would consider a well maintained 2011 212 to be worth as much as a brand new 190 (and so does the market, apparently). Nothing at all wrong with the 190, but the 212 will have close to twice the power, significantly more interior space, etc. 2 feet on a boat at this end of the size spectrum is very noticeable. One thing the 190 will have is a swim platform that is very close to the water line, as opposed to 6-8 inches above it on the older style 212. The 190 will also have multi-function display in the gauges, which I suppose is cool, but I've never missed it on our 2011.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Also - condition of the boat and how well it has been maintained (ESPECIALLY if it has lived in salt water) is likely quite a bit more important than how many hours it has. I'd much rather have a boat with 200 hours but which has been meticulously cared for than a low hour boat that the owner has ignored, left out in the elements, etc.. Personally, if the boat has spent a lot of time in salt water, unless I could meet the owner face-to-face and get a detailed walk through of his preventative maintenance routine, I'd probably steer clear. Fresh water is MUCH easier on virtually every part of the boat.