• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR210 won't start - Help!!

JAlexMN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a 2008 AR210 just two weeks ago. I'm still learning about jet boats however I've had propped boats for years. I'm comfortable on the water but jet boats are a different animal aren't they?

My first major mistake, it appears, is that I sucked a tow rope up last weekend. The boat floated close to the rope as we were wakeboarding and I thought I could drive out of it like you can with a propped boat. I was wrong. Big time. We made it back to the landing with the other engine just fine, I got under it and cut it out. Great, all done, right? Wrong.

I got it out on the lake the other day and that engine won't fire. It turns over, feels like it wants to start but just doesn't come to life. My son thinks it sounds like there's something stuck in there. I've felt around in there and can't find anything. I plan to take the jet off today, I've seen videos on YouTube about this, and hopefully I can find something stuck. I also bought new spark plugs thinking I may have fouled a plug or something. I don't recall if the engine died when the rope got sucked in or if I shut it down. Everything happened so fast!!

Anyone have any ideas? Am I a fool trying to take the jet off? I have an appointment at a dealership next week but this changes pretty much all of our holiday plans if our new toy is stuck on the trailer.

Thanks in advance!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the starter is spinning its probably your safety lanyard, try working it a few times

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How fast did you drive on one engine? It's possible you could have pushed water thru the exhaust back into the engine, check your. Oil for correct color and pull spark plugs to see if they're wet and then try to crank without plugs to See if water spurts out plug hole

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In the faq section is a video "how the cooling water flows" it's very good info

JAlexMN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If the starter is spinning its probably your safety lanyard, try working it a few times
The other engine runs so I didn't think it would be the lanyard. I'll fiddle with it though.

JAlexMN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How fast did you drive on one engine? It's possible you could have pushed water thru the exhaust back into the engine, check your. Oil for correct color and pull spark plugs to see if they're wet and then try to crank without plugs to See if water spurts out plug hole
At one point I may have gone too fast. I slowed down and just nursed it back to the landing. I'll definitely check into this!!

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You’re not a fool for considering removing the jets. It’s an easy process and you learn a lot about your boat. It gives you a chance to examine things better. You might very well find some debris in there binding things up.

Woodsy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just yesterday I watched a youtube video of someone installing isolation valves on each engines water coolant in lines - for the vary reason you describe. This allowing you to isolate the down engine and drive normally back to home base, or isolating both if being towed. What are your thoughts on this?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lanyard has 2 separate circuits one for each engine. It is the normal failure that only one engine is affected.

Disconnect it to rule out (it find it starts once you unplug it)

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
If your son thinks he hears something it might be worth taking the pump off to check everything out. I haven't had to do it yet but it sounds like a straightforward proposition.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just yesterday I watched a youtube video of someone installing isolation valves on each engines water coolant in lines - for the vary reason you describe. This allowing you to isolate the down engine and drive normally back to home base, or isolating both if being towed. What are your thoughts on this?
You should either install valves or have hose clamps, many write ups in the faq

JAlexMN

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
UPDATE: It's alive!!

I took the lanyard off and put it back on, replaced the spark plugs and changed the oil. There was indeed water in the oil. Got it started in the driveway with the hose and it ran smoothly. We took it out to the local lake for a quick test run and it was flawless! The weekend plans are back on!!

We plan to change the oil again next week just to make sure we got all the water out.

Thanks for all your help guys!! I was fearing the worst but got lucky this time! I'll be doing a lot more research on this forum!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your oil is "chocolate milkshake" you need to change it

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I just happen to have these brake line clamps in the toolbox. I think they will be stored on the boat just in case!20200702_205755.jpg