• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Bimini Trip June 19th - 26th 2022

KWB5205

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Depending on wind, weather, water conditions, how much weight your hauling (people/cargo) but from the research I’ve done on a Yamaha 242 series I’ll probably burn through at least 3/4 of a tank my boat holds 50 gallons of fuel, I plan on taking 10-15 gallons of extra fuel.

msjones144

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys! I've been trying to nail down Bimini dates for a few years and finally this year said it has to happen. After considering all of the other dates thrown out so far and reviewing your plans, I booked a house on a canal on South Bimini island for 6/19-6/26. So I guess what I'm saying is, my group would love to join your crossing/trip :cool: We are from Columbus, Ohio area so would likely follow your plan for the night(s) before departure. Currently my group consists of 3 mid 30's guys but could expand to include another couple and my wife depending on a few variables. All very easy going, typical boat/lake people. I've added equipment to my boat over the years in preparation and have read most of the threads here about the crossing, but will certainly refresh in the coming months. Feel free to reach out/add me to any distribution groups. msjones144@gmail.com / 614-668-4767 - Thanks!

Matt

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Hey Matt,

Besides Tom and myself I don't think we started any distribution lists yet and/or started handing out phone numbers.
The current plan (I believe) is to start collecting and handing out Captain's contact details in late April.
I'll be sure to post here in mid-April to get the ball rolling and/or if someone else wants to do it... fine. Either way, I'd expect us to continue chatting within these forums until then.

In the interim, I've gotten Tom's and your information noted down (I'll send you a text to confirm I got it right), and will continue growing the list of people who share it via this forum.

Come April, I'll specifically provide my personal contact details to collect and distribute this information (again, unless someone else wants to do it).

~Paul

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
On another note, I'll be keeping tabs on who's confirmed going and who has yet to confirm.
I'll keep this information on my first post (at the bottom) on the first page of this thread that way it's clear as day for everyone.
If anyone would like anything updated, even it's to make things clearer, please let me know.
I'll certainly keep it updated as more information comes to light.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
+1 boat/Captain from facebook group. That makes 8 total boats currently.
Updated first post on first page with skeleton information.

rocky4x479

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So this weekend is when im supposed to be confirmed rather its 6 adults or 4 adults in my group. I nerded out and made a power point for our meeting this Sunday , just to make sure everyone is on board with the budgett type stuff..
I'm so excited the only thing that is concerning me is what the covid situation/requirements to get in may be by then. With our group we will be heading out from Oklahoma Friday morning 4:30ish to Tallahassee stay the night then Saturday morning head out and drive the rest of the way to harbor town marina (Hope i get there early enough its first come first serve) drop boat and head down to the Hilton. I guess I need to find place to get a covid test in Florida on Saturday before the crossing on Sunday or find some place along the way for Friday. One in our group isn't vaccinated so they have to have the RT-PCR test while the others in our group only have to have the Rapid antigen test.

16 weeks 3 days 16 hr 22 min 32 secs but whos counting

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bimini Sands now Bimini Cove reservations are open again. I would highly recommend a condo in a marina directly on the ocean over a hotel room at the end of a miles long no wake zone. We should be able to get a group rate if multiple JetBoaters want to stay at Bimini Cove. @biminibrad may have more info.

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 2.16.11 PM.png

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
So this weekend is when im supposed to be confirmed rather its 6 adults or 4 adults in my group. I nerded out and made a power point for our meeting this Sunday , just to make sure everyone is on board with the budgett type stuff..
I'm so excited the only thing that is concerning me is what the covid situation/requirements to get in may be by then. With our group we will be heading out from Oklahoma Friday morning 4:30ish to Tallahassee stay the night then Saturday morning head out and drive the rest of the way to harbor town marina (Hope i get there early enough its first come first serve) drop boat and head down to the Hilton. I guess I need to find place to get a covid test in Florida on Saturday before the crossing on Sunday or find some place along the way for Friday. One in our group isn't vaccinated so they have to have the RT-PCR test while the others in our group only have to have the Rapid antigen test.

16 weeks 3 days 16 hr 22 min 32 secs but whos counting
Only one person in our group is vaccinated, the rest are children and are unvaccinated. ;)
We are planning on taking the RT-PCR tests on Thursday, leaving Saturday morning... and hoping the results come in sometime on Friday/Saturday so that we can upload them prior to Sunday to get the health visa approved. Doing it all remotely. This naturally doesn't leave much wiggle room for my family in particular if the weather doesn't play nice on Sunday. We'll certainly be keeping a close eye on it and adjust our plans as necessary.
I'm not entirely sure what the turn around time is for the Bohemian Health professionals to approve the visa's. (this is unknown to us)

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@pprocacci, Looks like you have a well organized trip started.

I am curious if you have made the crossing before?

On the medical visas I expect the requirements will change again before June. They have been revised frequently.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
@pprocacci, Looks like you have a well organized trip started.

I am curious if you have made the crossing before?

On the medical visas I expect the requirements will change again before June. They have been revised frequently.
I personally haven't made the crossing before. Mark from the other forums (facebook) who's joining us has however.
He's actually been a wealth of information and has offered to fill in the gaps and whatnot.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I personally haven't made the crossing before. Mark from the other forums (facebook) who's joining us has however.
He's actually been a wealth of information and has offered to fill in the gaps and whatnot.
You probably already have but if not you may find useful info at https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/

I am not aware of a 275 making the crossing and know you have a larger fuel tank. What is your thinking on fuel consumption?

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have a 90 gallon tank. I'll have 9 or 10 persons on board, mostly children.
I've estimated a burn rate of 1.5 mpg @ ~33mph and a range of 147; which is conservative.
Even at a burn rate of 1 mpg, that's still a range of 90.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 90 gallon tank. I'll have 9 or 10 persons on board, mostly children.
I've estimated a burn rate of 1.5 mpg @ ~33mph and a range of 147; which is conservative.
Even at a burn rate of 1 mpg, that's still a range of 90.
That 1.4 mpg ~33mph is around what BoatTest found on a lake with two people on board.

It is not unusual for Yamahas to burn twice as much fuel on a rough crossing as they would on a lake. For example multiple latest version 240/242s ran out of fuel just short of Bimini in 2017. Boattest found they got 2.6 mpg on a lake but they used all 52 gallons on the ~55 mile crossing.

You could have an easy crossing and get there on half a tank but if it is rough you could run out. Especially with 9 people and supplies.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I always plan for the worst. I'll have 10 gallons of spare fuel tied to my transom.
I honestly don't think I'll need it, but I am planning for the water current to not be in my favor.
I do think it'll be enough. Only one way to find out. ;)

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
@Bruce by the way. You're post is extremely informative. Thanks for sharing it.

pprocacci

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
@pprocacci
That's a big crew. :oops:
I would strongly urge you to consider alternate means of travel for some of your crew.
ie, Ferry or Fly some of them.
Oh it is. Considering every 2 of them is approximately the weight of 1 full grown adult, it'll be like having 5 adults in total on board (maybe 6), and that's including the actual adults.

Lots of bodies, but not a lot of weight in that regard.
Appreciate the concern, but I'm sure we'll be fine.

Last edited:

AshleyPro83

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
@pprocacci
That's a big crew. :oops:
I would strongly urge you to consider alternate means of travel for some of your crew.
ie, Ferry or Fly some of them.
Yeah, no.....that "big crew" is our family (I'm his wife chiming in here) and they travel with us only...they're minors. Teens, but still minors. It'll be fine. We're going with a group as well, lots of hands should anything happen. We feel completely safe. No need to fly anyone.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, no.....that "big crew" is our family (I'm his wife chiming in here) and they travel with us only...they're minors. Teens, but still minors. It'll be fine. We're going with a group as well, lots of hands should anything happen. We feel completely safe. No need to fly anyone.
You have a 275 which is nice. However @tim h and I both were there when a boat loaded with teens resulted in them bobbing in the waves at the mouth of Port Everglades. Fortunately the 24 footer behind them only had three special forces guys on her and was able to pluck them out of the water and deliver to the hospital as one had a dislocated shoulder. Had they been in the surf longer they likely would have dispersed resulting in an extended search or worse. They were in an area of significant tidal flow and boat traffic.

Bimini can be an incredible adventure however people die making the crossing most years. Personally I would not cross with so many on board.

Will you also be loaded down with food or do you plan to eat out for most of your meals?

AshleyPro83

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
The boat won't be "loaded" with just teens, we're adults and doing the navigating. We have all safety gear necessary. I do appreciate the concerns, but we're not idiots ;-) We'd never put our kids in harm's way like you're suggesting. You won't cross with that many? Awesome....that's your choice. You aren't everyone. We'll be fine and safe. Enjoy your evening.