• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Broken intake grates

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well I made an interesting discovery this morning when I was cleaning and inspecting the boat. BOTH intake grates are broken. :eek:

The only incident I had all summer was a ski rope that was quickly untangled. There was a little cavitation for a few seconds right after I freed that rope, but since then I have been out several times and did not notice any major issues. BUT, thinking back, this is probably why my throttles were not synched as well the last couple rides of the season.

From what I have read, this is not a big deal. I just need to replace the grates. Ordered them already. I checked the shafts, hull, impellers, etc. and fortunately everything seems to be in great shape. The marks on the hull in the pictures are just superficial scuffs and fingerprints through the dust.

I guess this is a weak failure point for a reason...

Looks like I left some metal in the lake. Glad it sank and did not get sucked up in the impellers.

Just posting so people will know to check their grates occasionally. Feeling lucky I don't have any hull damage.FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_5048.JPG

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow! Yeah, a ski rope can cause that. But did you get a ski rope caught up in both intakes??? At least you'll be back out in no time.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I agree it sure looks like a rope was wrapped around the grate

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WOW, I don't think I've seen one broken clean off like the second pic. Especially without the ensuing pump damage after some of it gets sucked in.

I was racking my head trying to figure out another possible cause such as loading it on the trailer, or hitting debris while towing the boat down the road. But I think it would be almost impossible to strike both grates without hull damage too. So Put me down for guessing that sucking up the rope caused your issue.

Thank goodness it's just a simple bolt on fix!! ;)

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Update. Changing these grates took me 10 minutes.
Checked again and no damage to the boat anywhere. They did their job.
She goes in the water this week!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How do you figure that? I don't believe they are intended to be a sacrificial part.
I was sort of being sarcastic...I don't think they are intended to be sacrificial, but I am glad they broke instead of ripping the threads out of the hull. THAT could have been ugly...
Ski ropes are stronger than I thought...