• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine won't idle in water

timpelke

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Howdy all. I have a 1997 Baja blast 120 up 2 stroke. I can start it out of water and keep it running in mid to high when trailering it into the water. If I try to idle it quits and won't restart unless I pull it out of water. Then it runs fine. But won't restart in water. Pill it out and it starts fine. Put it back in water and have to keep rpms up to stay running. Also smokes a really lot. Any guesses?

timpelke

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Since my last post.... New fuel, new slightly hotter plugs and compression test showing good. Still won't start or idle "IN" water.
Not a big 2stroke guy yet. But this might be my chance to learn. Any suggestions?

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bump.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
sounds like stale fuel

timpelke

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
sounds like stale fuel
Not sure how touchy the two strokes are... But I drained all the gas and put in fresh. Not knowing if I got every drop of the old gas out. I then added 5 gallons of good stuff. Do the carburetors in these two strokes have idle adjustment ?

timpelke

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
Not sure how touchy the two strokes are... But I drained all the gas and put in fresh. Not knowing if I got every drop of the old gas out. I then added 5 gallons of good stuff. Do the carburetors in these two strokes have idle adjustment ?
Also let me say thank you for taking the time to reply.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
They should and there may be an issue with the float levels and the fuel pump as well that power head should be a force 4 cylinder outboard engine so you may be able to check on that stuff looking up the force engines I had a 90 hp force 3 cylinder and it had a lot of issues with the carbs I ended up rebuilding them to get the engine to run properly . I also got rid of the fuel pump and installed a 3.5 p s i electric fuel pump and that made a big difference the plugs blowing smoke seems like it is running really rich . The engine can run out of the water because there is no back pressure but in the water there is back pressure so it needs to be set correctly or it will stall as you describe

timpelke

Reaction score
Boat Make
Baja
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Other
They should and there may be an issue with the float levels and the fuel pump as well that power head should be a force 4 cylinder outboard engine so you may be able to check on that stuff looking up the force engines I had a 90 hp force 3 cylinder and it had a lot of issues with the carbs I ended up rebuilding them to get the engine to run properly . I also got rid of the fuel pump and installed a 3.5 p s i electric fuel pump and that made a big difference the plugs blowing smoke seems like it is running really rich . The engine can run out of the water because there is no back pressure but in the water there is back pressure so it needs to be set correctly or it will stall as you describe
Thank you so much for that input. I will go that direction to see if I will solve the problem. I really want this boat to perform well for us as you're trying to see if we are going to enjoy this type of boating. I bought the boat used. Haven't been actually able to enjoy it yet. Thank you again for your hopefully advice.

TeenGee

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had an 115 Evinrude 4 cylinder 2 stroke. The CDI module failed. one of the diodes would leak and cause 3 of the 4 cylinders to not fire unless the RPM were high. It would start and run in neutral, but as soon as I put it in gear, the rpms would drop and only 1 cylinder would fire and the engine would stall.
This sounds like your problem.
If you have a multi-cylinder with CDI, check the CDI Module.