• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Finally made it happen!

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another dumb question incoming!

I have a line on moorage / storage near me. There are several options.

There's dry storage on my trailer for 150 a month. If I use that, I'd have to trailer the boat a few hundred feet to a public launch nearby. It costs $12 every time I want to use the launch.

There are a couple of wet slips available for more like $300/month. I figure if I'm going to launch the boat 4x/month during the season, that puts me at $200 already for the dry storage, so the wet slip at $300 seems like a no-brainer.

However... there are a couple of wet slips to choose from. One of them is way out on the side of a general use dock. There's a no-wake zone, but should I be concerned about leaving my boat tied up there, even with fenders? Will big wake cause it to get damaged by the dock, or cause damage to the dock? This one would be much easier to dock at, despite not being protected.

The other spot is well protected from wake, but a bit trickier to navigate to. The manager says I should be able to get my 19-foot jet boat in there, but I'm thinking I'd definitely need to upgrade the steering first. I'd have to navigate around a corner or two and get the boat turned around as well.

I'm leaning toward the protected spot, but am I going to regret it every time I have to slowly navigate in there?!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Another dumb question incoming!

I have a line on moorage / storage near me. There are several options.

There's dry storage on my trailer for 150 a month. If I use that, I'd have to trailer the boat a few hundred feet to a public launch nearby. It costs $12 every time I want to use the launch.

There are a couple of wet slips available for more like $300/month. I figure if I'm going to launch the boat 4x/month during the season, that puts me at $200 already for the dry storage, so the wet slip at $300 seems like a no-brainer.

However... there are a couple of wet slips to choose from. One of them is way out on the side of a general use dock. There's a no-wake zone, but should I be concerned about leaving my boat tied up there, even with fenders? Will big wake cause it to get damaged by the dock, or cause damage to the dock? This one would be much easier to dock at, despite not being protected.

The other spot is well protected from wake, but a bit trickier to navigate to. The manager says I should be able to get my 19-foot jet boat in there, but I'm thinking I'd definitely need to upgrade the steering first. I'd have to navigate around a corner or two and get the boat turned around as well.

I'm leaning toward the protected spot, but am I going to regret it every time I have to slowly navigate in there?!
Salt or fresh water? I would have to see locations on the chart to judge that. Without seeing it, I would go to the protected slip because I've seen cabin cruisers at 10mph throwing huge wakes. Just make sure that in full moon low tides you can get in there without a problem.

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Salt or fresh water? I would have to see locations on the chart to judge that. Without seeing it, I would go to the protected slip because I've seen cabin cruisers at 10mph throwing huge wakes. Just make sure that in full moon low tides you can get in there without a problem.
Ah, yeah, I should have specified. Fresh water. And it's not tidal, but it sounds like the level of the lake varies a bit from winter to summer (it gets lower in the winter). But that's not an issue for me, as I'd be taking the boat out of the water and storing indoors when the season is over.

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a visual of the two spots that are available.marinaspots.png

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would take the inside slip because it's closer to your car and you don't have to carry tons of stuff. The 19ft boat is really maneuverable and can fit it just about anywhere. You can easily spin it by doing foward/reverse/forward/reverse/forward/reverse.. while turning the wheel left/right/left/right/left.. Just when you are learning to dock, don't ever give it gas. Put the throttle lever to first click and if you are going to hit something, you will be going slow enough to push off.

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
is trailer storage included in the wet slip prices?

Ribs77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would take the inside slip because it's closer to your car and you don't have to carry tons of stuff. The 19ft boat is really maneuverable and can fit it just about anywhere. You can easily spin it by doing foward/reverse/forward/reverse/forward/reverse.. while turning the wheel left/right/left/right/left.. Just when you are learning to dock, don't ever give it gas. Put the throttle lever to first click and if you are going to hit something, you will be going slow enough to push off.
Update - I secured that spot! Great point about being easier to load/unload. I'm psyched for the upcoming season!

And it wouldn't be a post from me without a dumb question. Here goes:

When I tested the boat, we ran it in fresh water. Afterward, on the trailer, we started the engine and blipped it a few times to blast out the water, which I understand is standard practice.

However, after that, I didn't hook it up to a hose to flush it at home. My thinking was that since it was fresh water and we just blasted it out, I should be OK. Right?! Please tell me I'm right...

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you. are. right.
congrats on the spot.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Update - I secured that spot! Great point about being easier to load/unload. I'm psyched for the upcoming season!

And it wouldn't be a post from me without a dumb question. Here goes:

When I tested the boat, we ran it in fresh water. Afterward, on the trailer, we started the engine and blipped it a few times to blast out the water, which I understand is standard practice.

However, after that, I didn't hook it up to a hose to flush it at home. My thinking was that since it was fresh water and we just blasted it out, I should be OK. Right?! Please tell me I'm right...
Congratulations. Looking forward to your thread about mods 🤟