• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

GPS/Chartplotter Recommendation for install on AR240?

Patrice Robinet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2014 AR240 and am currently using my Samsung GS5 with Navionics app as my chartplotter - works OK but the screen is really small and I would like to have a 10 or 12 inch display if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decently priced unit that would fit? Where would you mount it? I was thinking maybe with a RAM mount off the vertical 'pole' that holds the windshield....or maybe a mount to the right of the instrument cluster? Welcome thoughts/suggestions. I have looked around the forums but haven't found much (maybe not looking in the right place.....). Thanks!

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There are a ton of chart plotters out there.

Lowerance and hummingbird come highly recommended from my research.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
There has been a few post about this. Here is a link to one of them that I sent a couple pics to. I have about $600 into my Hummingbird with the depth contour software chip I added to it. I like color but not necessary to have you you want to spend less. The GPS with the depth contours is one of the in my opinion one of the best things that I have bought. I go into a lot of unknown water and it gives me a nice comfort measure to help me not run aground in shallow water or hit one of the famous underwater wing dams on the Mississippi River because they are all marked... I like the 5 inch screen but again it depends on how much you want to spend. Most of these are combination GPS and fish sonar..You can also get the GPS puck internal or external, depends on what you want to pay. Mine is internal so I didn't have to add an extra puck and it works great. I 90% only use the GPS part of it since I can't catch a fish anyway...There are several places on the web to buy these at great prices. Once you figure out what you want go to www.Nextag.com and start shopping. That web site is very easy to check for the cheapest price for what you want. Good luck.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/gps-chartplotter.875/

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Last edited:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard @Patrice Robinet , welcome to the forum. Better take out a loan...if your looking for a dedicated chart plotter with sonar, your looking at big money in the 10'+. I had a Garmin 431S with a 4" screen and loved the way it displayed but hated how slow it was and how you had to search through it. But a touch screen that is a good one, like a Raymarine, is in the $1700 range and still nowhere near a 10" screen, but much closer. Welcome once again!

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I use a samsung 8 inch tablet (note 8) with the navonics app. Perfect size for the space and easy to see. Its mounted with a ram mount on the post you mentioned.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2014 AR240 and am currently using my Samsung GS5 with Navionics app as my chartplotter - works OK but the screen is really small and I would like to have a 10 or 12 inch display if possible. Does anyone have any recommendations for a decently priced unit that would fit? Where would you mount it? I was thinking maybe with a RAM mount off the vertical 'pole' that holds the windshield....or maybe a mount to the right of the instrument cluster? Welcome thoughts/suggestions. I have looked around the forums but haven't found much (maybe not looking in the right place.....). Thanks!
Hey, just noticed you are new. :Welcome:

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
iPad mini with LTE (doesn't need subscription) and RAM MOUNT with Navionics, sonarcharts, and sonarphone. Or an iPhone 6+ with the same.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have considered building a custom dash and moving the components around, maybe a little taller design. Have not tackled or purchased chart plotter yet. On my wish list some day. When I do it I know I want a unit with side imaging and a big east to read screen. Gonna try and make it look built in.

I think some people have moved the switches to the right of the gauges, or moved the radio.
And then used those areas to mount a screen.

massmtnbikn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a lowrance 7DSi that is mounted off the left side of the console.
It partially obstructs the left RPM gauge (based on how I have the ram mount set), but its a good fit.
I considered mounting it on the right side, but it would have needed to be mounted high and obstruct the windshield.
I can't imagine where 10-12" would go.
The 7 is plenty.

comp

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG00052-20110503-1403.jpg The helm area is to tight and busy for a large screen. We mounted the 740 on the port side of the boat , tight to the windshield. Out of the way when I dont need it and easy to read when I do need it.
Adj, swivel mount works great.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went with an iPad and eventually switched to an iPad mini on a ram mount seated in the cup holder of the dash. This is great for me since I can and often do use the iPad for things other than marine navigation. It's also convenient to pass around or take with me to other parts of the boat since its wireless. To address the glare issue I bought a visor for it. I will post a pic later of I can find one.

Patrice Robinet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a RAM mount with suction cup and used my iPad mini with a Dual GPS receiver. Works great except: you have to watch battery levels (in the iPad and the GPS receiver) and the glare of the Florida sun makes the screen hard to see in the middle of the day..... Will keep this as a backup. So far my Samsung GS5 with Navionics works best - just would have liked a bigger screen..... Maybe will have to get a bigger boat? :)

Would be great if someone made an aftermarket custom dash kit which allowed you to mount all the gauges, switches and a nice - built-in - GPS/chartplotter. Anybody interested in designing one? The 2015 dash looks like it could handle a built-in GPS....

Charles

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 2015 dash looks like it could handle a built-in GPS....
Negative. While the dual RPM gauges in the 2015 are pretty much useless (thanks to Connext), the space left behind is just a tad too small for a Garmin 70DV. I was hoping it would have been just the right size. On top of that, the overhang and angle of the dash would make it nearly impossible to see it while standing. Currently, when you stand in a 2015, the only part of the dash you see, is the bottom...