• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Here come the hybrids

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tend to think EV may just be a blip on the journey. I have been reviewing a lot of research on Fusion and its current breakthroughs. Also some interesting stuff on Hydrogen as well as of late.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That's complete nonsense, growing up in the 70s/80s we traveled ALOT by car as a family and there were more gas stations at rural interchanges off of interstate, US or state highways and in random small towns than there are now. You can see the skeletons of the abandoned stations throughout the country if you take a road trip.

The energy density, supply and ease of use of gasoline won't be beat by batteries until we all have a Mr Fusion strapped to the engine.
You are funny as you seem to define the entire US in what ever part of the country you grew up in. Have you ever been to far west Texas, northern Arizona, or Nevada? Most of these areas I’m talking about did not have interstate highways at the time. In the 80’s when you had pretty crappy mileage for a truck combined with 20 gallon gas tanks, one would have been a fool to travel some of these areas without extra fuel.

Gotta love when people try to tell you what you personally experienced didn’t happen. :rolleyes:

Jim

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wondering what we will do when we run out of fossil fuels - no more:
Boats
Electric vehicles
Batteries
Wire insulation
Plastics
Pharmaceuticals
Nylon
Paint
Carpets
iperfume,
hair dye,
cosmetics (lipstick, makeup, foundation, eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner),
hand lotion,
toothpaste,
soap,
shaving cream,
deodorant,
panty hose,
combs,
shampoo,
eyeglasses,
contact lenses
Cell phones
AND ON AND ON AND ON!

Better speed up that transition so we can pay carbon credits to world governing agencies.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since we are kind of moving in the direction anyhow in this thread......

I was reading a couple of articles recently where the earth has shifted on its access 13.5" due to freshwater being pumped out of the ground for our use and then it runs off into the oceans eventually. Also that it has been accelerating over time. It was identified as one of the major causes of possible climate change.

I can't seem to locate the research again, but I am still looking for it. Found it very interesting.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Since we are kind of moving in the direction anyhow in this thread......

I was reading a couple of articles recently where the earth has shifted on its access 13.5" due to freshwater being pumped out of the ground for our use and then it runs off into the oceans eventually. Also that it has been accelerating over time. It was identified as one of the major causes of possible climate change.

I can't seem to locate the research again, but I am still looking for it. Found it very interesting.
FASCINATING !!! Water and trash pollution (IMHO). Are the real climate problems.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So here are some articles. The weight distribution changes the earths rotational access, and as sea levels rise it has an increased effect of reflecting more sunlight and other things to increase mean temp as well as further melting of the ice, etc. etc. In theory, it could affect rotational wander which could produce other effects.

Previous research has estimated that extracted groundwater, which eventually flows into the oceans, caused 6.24 millimeters of sea-level rise between 1993 and 2010. Between 2006 and 2015, global sea levels rose about 3.6 millimeters per year, and the new research confirmed that groundwater pumping has been a major contributor.

Humans Have Shifted Earth's Axis by Pumping Lots of Groundwater | Smart News| Smithsonian Magazine

Humanity’s groundwater pumping has altered Earth’s tilt | Science | AAAS

Pumping Groundwater Has Changed Earth’s Spin, Study Finds - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Humans pump so much groundwater that Earth’s axis has shifted, study finds | CNN

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have been told by corporate Toyota that while we will offer a few EV vehicles Toyota is focusing on hydrogen powered vehicles instead.
Hydrogen hybrids would be a great way into the future. We were told corporate scrapped plans to go full EV last year. Even though they have solid state battery technology that is quite amazing.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have been told by corporate Toyota that while we will offer a few EV vehicles Toyota is focusing on hydrogen powered vehicles instead.
Hydrogen hybrids would be a great way into the future. We were told corporate scrapped plans to go full EV last year. Even though they have solid state battery technology that is quite amazing.
Yes, many in the industry are very surprised at this. I’d love to know what Toyota knows that resulted in this decision. They’re going to surprise the sh!t out of everyone, or become a division of Stellantis!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cheap Solid State has so many industrial uses it's nuts. and even a Cheap liquid battery, even if not energy dense, would enhance greatly our energy situation. Cheap good repeatable energy storage is something we don't have that will be very interesting to see appear on the market if we ever get there.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, many in the industry are very surprised at this. I’d love to know what Toyota knows that resulted in this decision. They’re going to surprise the sh!t out of everyone, or become a division of Stellantis!
I agree. There is something brewing that is behind the scenes.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
....or become a division of Stellantis!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

The most reliable car company eaten by Fiat-Peugeot. Nightmares right there.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
But wouldn’t finding hydrogen refueling stations on trips be a bigger issue than with EV’s?

Jim

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
But wouldn’t finding hydrogen refueling stations on trips be a bigger issue than with EV’s?

Jim
Plan A was making the hydrogen onsite, using electricity, at the “filling station”, not trucking it in. So probably similar electric grid issues, but no battery challenges. Not sure if that was practical, or a dream. I think people were more worried about a highway full of Hindenburgs 😀.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Huh, what would happen to all the destructive Lithium mines and slave labor?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We still need all the lithium to make the laptop batteries, and 20v Dewalt yellow batteries.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is a great point. Give EV another 50 years and I am sure it will be tremendously different.

More innovation and competition is better for everyone.

Govt. Mandates are worse for everyone.
I suspect 50 years from now we will laugh at the idea of carrying about gigantic batteries to hold enough charge for normal use, and will have switched over to a more energy dense solution.

Electric motors offer a lot of advantages, that are all squandered with stupid large batteries. Pairing electric motors with a fuel cell, or a synthetic (or natural) fueled generator makes a LOT more sense for a majority of vehicles.

There are applications suchs as buses, small city cars, etc where BEV only makes sense, but the vastajority of personal vehicles, range extended vehicles makes more sense for less money.

The EV mandates are a cash grab, pure and simple. They are not coming from a place of "doing better for the environment", they are coming from a place of making some people much richer.

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I caught a article somewhere about Mercades new super light ev motor. 50 pounds motor that produces 490 equivalent horse power.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you subscribe to LA Times or Apple News you can read the full article below. For everyone else, the gist of the article is that the super tree huggers are dismayed that plug-in hybrids are becoming popular. They cite undeclared sources that say people who buy them don’t actually plug them in to charge them and just run on gas. Who the F would pay extra for a PHEV and not plug it in? If they dont have access to a plug, what are they going to do with a EV? Makes no sense. Otherwise it is an interesting read on why hybrids are coming back. Flexibility (no range anxiety), cost (compared to EVs), practicality (elec for work, gas for play), and many of the same benefits of EVs, rebates, perks, laws treat as zero emissions.

Other interesting notes:
  1. Calif’s 100% zero emission vehicles by 2036 law allows for 20% PHEVs. Only catch is they need to be able to have 50 mile range on the battery. None do it now, but will surely be reached by then.
  2. The reason Toyota is not leaning in on EVs is they don’t think there is enough lithium and other materials to change over to EVs in 10 years, meaning hybrids will be a large share of the market.

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Said it before and I'll say it again, PHEVs are the right choice. The big money banks that are planning to make money on batteries don't like it, but it's the only thing that's a feasible technology that reduces emissions and is still fundamentally capable until we have fusion power plants and can generate enough power to make fuel cells a viable technology.

I think they should make everything a freaking PHEV. If they want to mandate anything, mandate that. Although all of the mandates are already being backpedalled. The EU is probably going to remove theirs, England as well. CA is too far up their own asses to admit they're wrong publicly and they'll probably get around it by selling a lot of low mile used cars in the state.

That said, even if you never plug it in, PHEVs use less gas and this cause less emissions. Ford is making all the 3.5 Ecoboost f150s into powerboost, which has essentially a PHEV setup without a plug (a huge miss by Ford BTW). Using that electric motor when possible means the gas engine doesn't have to work all the time, and excess energy from the gas motor can be used to charge the battery.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Only electric vehicle I’ll drive in my lifetime will have a golf bag and a ball washer on it