• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much to offer on new VRX when buying from dealership? Or, What'd you pay for your vortex?

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I did not see promotional; pricing at boat show for yamaha or chaparral. I actually looked at a sx210 at Orlando show, they offered me the boat at $38999 same as website gave me 2 years additional warranty, no prep or freight and upgrade trailer to galvanized. I assume you could get this deal on any model they have, Chaparral deal was the same upgrades but 5 years of bow to stern warranty and they made is sound like everything except oil changes. I was able to get same deals at miami boat show. Chaparral 5 year warranty is good till march 31st.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look in your Miami show guide book. There's an add talking about boat show special for Yamaha. Most of the guys at the Yamaha display were salesmen from Riva so maybe you should call Riva and see what the deal was. Oh crap....the show ended today. Never mind.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not one salesman nor yamaha rep mentioned boat show pricing and all boats were priced the same as yamaha website.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting. Maybe mums the word unless the customer brings it up. That's kind of shitty unless the deal is extended warranty or extra equipment.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
when i asked about boat show pricing i was told 2 yrs additional warranty plus the perks I mentioned earlier. Chaps was the 5 yrs warranty, I preesed the rep several times about if I suck a rock thru it and damage something, he said at least 3 times it would be covered. After all that I still took it with a grain of salt, all good till i gotta take it in for that and its not covered and he does not work for Chaparral anymore:stop: Stop sir, we dont cover that:winkingthumbsup"

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I'm a new member and excited to find this forum. Just traded myCaravelle Interceptor on the 223VRX. Paid the Chap price and received the 5 year engine warranty. Dealer did not negotiate on the Chap but did some on my trade and accessories. Expect delivery around April 1. Deal is subject to a test drive as well. I was actually going to but the Yamaha 242 but really liked the lines of the Chap.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm a new member and excited to find this forum. Just traded myCaravelle Interceptor on the 223VRX. Paid the Chap price and received the 5 year engine warranty. Dealer did not negotiate on the Chap but did some on my trade and accessories. Expect delivery around April 1. Deal is subject to a test drive as well. I was actually going to but the Yamaha 242 but really liked the lines of the Chap.
Welcome aboard, @Vandyman :Welcome:
Good to have another Chap owner here!

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
congrats cant wait to hear what you think after test drive,try to get a good feel of noise level. did you upgrade to the 200 HP

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
congrats cant wait to hear what you think after test drive,try to get a good feel of noise level. did you upgrade to the 200 HP
I did.... as I recall the 250's added another $7k or so, and for how I boat the 200's should be more than adequate.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Brandon, If you don't mind spending hours in the shop and acting like every dollar you pull from your pocket is going to cause your family to go without diner one night then you can work a dealer pretty good. I just bought a new 2014 Regal 24 Fasdeck. I went into the dealership on a cold, rainy weekday in Dec. spent 4 hrs playing the game. MSRP was a little over $120,000 I got it for little under $59,000. Dealer invoice came in around $70,000. As I was walking to the office I said; “Does that boat have underwater lights? I like those” a $1200 option. They told me they would throw them in if I would just shut up and buy the boat already.
And THIS is why we can't compare the "low" (relatively) price of Yamahas to the "high" price of boats by other manufacturers. While I love the Yamahas, putting one side-by-side with the above Regal will show some pretty distinct differences in fit/finish/luxury/overall build quality. I think Yamaha has been very clever - cleverer than the other manufacturers - with their pricing strategy and it has resulted in them selling lots of boats. Relative to other manufacturers, I do not understand the thinking behind having an MSRP at more than double what the dealer will actually sell for. It just causes people to never even consider certain boats. I know that I would not think it would be possible for me to afford a boat with a $100K+ list price, except that I have come to learn that there is an awful lot of wiggle room in that pricing.

Another example: Buddy of mine went through negotiations on a 2015 Malibu 23LSV. List price was 107K or thereabouts. Dealers best offer was 76K. Not as dramatic as the Regal example above, but still.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have to admit if I thought I could have gotten close in price with a 24' VRX compared to the AR240 I would have sat down and talked to a dealer. When I added up all the options that came standard on the AR it was like 15K more so I didn't bother.

jwells

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
And THIS is why we can't compare the "low" (relatively) price of Yamahas to the "high" price of boats by other manufacturers. While I love the Yamahas, putting one side-by-side with the above Regal will show some pretty distinct differences in fit/finish/luxury/overall build quality. I think Yamaha has been very clever - cleverer than the other manufacturers - with their pricing strategy and it has resulted in them selling lots of boats. Relative to other manufacturers, I do not understand the thinking behind having an MSRP at more than double what the dealer will actually sell for. It just causes people to never even consider certain boats. I know that I would not think it would be possible for me to afford a boat with a $100K+ list price, except that I have come to learn that there is an awful lot of wiggle room in that pricing.

Another example: Buddy of mine went through negotiations on a 2015 Malibu 23LSV. List price was 107K or thereabouts. Dealers best offer was 76K. Not as dramatic as the Regal example above, but still.
I bought a 2015 242 ls but almost bought a 2014 boat show boat with every imaginable option it was a crownline 255 ss with fiberglass outo tower thru hull exhaust it was a show boat so to many options to list. Sticker was 98000. They told me I could have it mid 60's. It just makes me wander and look at the dealership in a very shady way that they would do this and someone else paid almost 100000 for the same boat. I didn't want a boat that can depreciate that much even if it was awesome. I dould t find anyone or anywhere that was doing this kind of thing on the yamaha so I bought it. I also wander about some of the post on here as well I really looked at the regal s hard before I bought and they were in my top 3 but there were no deals like the one I read on here earlier. I don't belive for a minute that boats have a 100 %markup. I worked in cars for a long time and it just don't work like that

Dan Dawson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on a 243 VRX, but I've never bought a new boat and have no idea how much wiggle room there is on price.

When I price the 243vrx with a couple goodies, on the website it's $64k before the fees. So realistically how much should I offer/expect to pay? Would $60k OTD be a realistic offer?

On that note: for those of you who've already bought one (even if not a 243) what did you pay OTD for yours?

Thanks!
What I do is pit dealers against each other. In this case I couldn't do this. There's only one Chaparral dealer in the entire metro Detroit area so my bargaining power was none to nill. The dealer is giving me freebees like ropes, lifevests, tank of gas, flares, and extinguisher. They also agreed to display and sell my old boat commission free which has already happened. I figure they're making $8500 gross profit before the freebees.

Vandyman

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Only one dealer in Nashville and I paid sticker for my 223vrx, which they said was non negotiable. I did get all accessories at cost and the 5 year warranty, and a better trade in $ than what Yamaha was offering. But I liked the style and pulled the trigger.