• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How trailer brakes work

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This is not the case as I have an A75 actuator with drum brakes on my trailer. The other thread I created was to determine which models have drum vs disc brakes. My guess they switched to disc in 2006 (based on answers thus far). But it is entirely possible that MFI could have switched in the middle of production year....

Thread for what type of brakes your trailer has:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/what-kind-of-brakes-does-your-stock-trailer-have.1916/
Very good point, I said old and new alike, but was not thinking past '07's. So good catch!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tdonoughue , I knew that the fluid could go bad, but I didn't think it would go bad if you kept it sealed. I have used a container for several years without ill effect, but I kept it sealed and didn't leave it open long when using it. I know that brake fluid absorbs moisture fast! I may have to replace mine now dang it!
Yes, it will keep a bit if sealed. But of course once you open it you break the seal. Will it last more than a couple weeks? Probably. But probably not years. And if you are like me, you didn't mark when you bought the stupid thing and can't remember how old it is. It is too cheap a product. So I toss mine relatively quickly and just buy another next year if I need it (which is very rare).

It is also a good idea to completely replace all brake fluid ever few years on these trailers.
This is actually a scheduled maintenance item on several cars. I agree it is a good idea. Probably every 4 or so, but you will find 10 year old trailers where it has never been done with no apparent ill effects. In truth it would be hard to tell. As the fluid gets old it picks up water and loses its hydraulic properties. That causes the brakes to be slightly less effective. Ever driven a trailer where the brakes were gone? Most haven't and those who have know it can be difficult to tell until an emergency stop.

Guess I should write up the bleeding procedure here someday...

Oh, one other note on the 'which Shorelander' discussion: someone may have a different brand trailer or boat. Thus some of my notes about disc vs drum, mechanical vs electric, etc. I think it is good that we make it useful for everyone. But excellent notes there for all of us who do have these trailers! Thanks for that.