• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hull hitting trailer axle?

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Looking at the pic again I agree with @Julian , the mark is a perfect outline of an oval plastic or rubber pad that has come off. I don't think your boat is hitting at all.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Very well could be. But it looked like rub marks in the pic. Could be the angle though. I'll go with the missing plastic too I guess. I agree to paint it. ..

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
the white around the rust on the axel was just glare from the sun. When you look at it in person there is very minimal almost no white (hull is white). I stuck some felt I had laying around on it just in case. I will have to pay attention in a few weeks when I pull the boat out.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @Julian It looks like the missing paint is slightly wrapped around the round axle. It would only be missing on the top most portion if it was rubbing. I dont see how the hull could've rubbed paint off of that much of the front, top & back portion of the axle.

Also, my bunks do have a bow formed in them as well. Looks normal to me.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I agree with @Julian It looks like the missing paint is slightly wrapped around the round axle. It would only be missing on the top most portion if it was rubbing. I dont see how the hull could've rubbed paint off of that much of the front, top & back portion of the axle.

Also, my bunks do have a bow formed in them as well. Looks normal to me.

I have the same trailer. There is nothing there but paint on mine. Betting it was the forklift from valet service at the marina or someone used it to haul something else.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I believe you are missing a Keel Pad pictured below. I have had trailers in the past that have had the keel pads. It is a non slip stepping point for walking out your trailer to connect the wench cable

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@Zarrella That pad could have very well fallen off and in the process took some paint with it. Thus exposing it to start to rust. That would make logical sense! It would also explain the exposed rust all around the curvature of the axel. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I recall seeing a pic of these boats being transported to the dealer loaded on a trailer on a flatbed trailer. They secured the trailers together using u bolts and clamps. I remember thinking that I would run and check my trailer for rub marks if I had a painted trailer!
I don't remember what site this pic was posted on.

CAM212SS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I recall seeing a pic of these boats being transported to the dealer loaded on a trailer on a flatbed trailer. They secured the trailers together using u bolts and clamps. I remember thinking that I would run and check my trailer for rub marks if I had a painted trailer!
I don't remember what site this pic was posted on.
i am guessing this post
https://jetboaters.net/threads/special-delivery.1348/

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If that trailer was shipped they probably put a ratchet strap over the axle to hold it down. Run a while with a strap over a painted tube and that's what you get. You can see how it went over top and down at an angle on both sides.

prorider17

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at the MFI trailer with the slightly curved bunks.... is that normal? My trailer has the same slightly curved bunk setup and I thought it's due to the wood being tired and possibly needing replacement. Thoughts?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I have a good 1/2" gap from straight. image.jpg

image.jpg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Normal. Look at it when the boat is loaded and you will see that it is snug along the entire bunk. Don't forget that these trailers flex.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Also, the boats hull is curved, and the board takes on that curve. Between the steel supports, you could easily slide a plastic paint scraper between the bunk and the hull. The support is over the supporting stand for the bunk, not the bunk itself. The bunk is to allow loading/unloading, the support is over the supports.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Rut row... Got the boat back home from te slip tonight to prep for our trip to Norris. As you can see it looks like the hull has been hitting the axel upon loading. I have only loaded the thing 3 times since ownership. I would imagine the majority of it came from the previous owner. Anyhow, I believe the assumption is correct as the second worn spot had some felt stuck to it, and I covered up the axel that was worn with some felt just incase.

The fiberglass is smooth and slick, it is just the gel coat that's been rubbed off.

I get no water whatsoever in the boat. Dry as can be. The longest I have had it in the water continuesly is 4 days.

I will have to put it on the trailer two more times this season. My plan is to have this worked on after the season is over.

Also when I loaded te trailer today I did it by myself so I tied off the boat grabbed the trailer backed it down then pulled the boat on. With the ease of my method today it Is hard to believe that I would have scraped the axel.?

image.jpg image.jpg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@GiddYupJoe , those marks are open to the fiberglass. It will delaminate if you use it all season without even a temporary repair. I have one too. I always let my anchor dangle about 10' deep and run at no wake speed for 2 to 3 minutes to let the mud wash off. Well, apparently I am not 100% used to the 3 step no wake mode, because I am getting it to a speed that lets that anchor swing back into the hull. It did it once early on, and I learned not to engage it past 1600rpm's. Last time out, I apparently had it higher and it hit the hull right on a rib, and cracked the gelcoat off right to the fiberglass, just like your last pic. It isn't even the size of a dime, but it is down to the glass. It will delam, so I will use Spectrum patch kit to fix it. It is a permanent fix. But can't, the boat is at the dealer getting a new stereo under warranty! Well, almost under warranty, I have to open the wallet over $400. The first pic is ok for the season I think, but the one to glass needs to be filled, especially if you leave it in a wet slip.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
But the bigger issue is why is the hull dragging the trailer axle or crossbeam? That isn't even possible on these trailers if they are stock, the supports are solid, and the bunks are solid on the supports. It sounds like there must be a misalignment of some sort to allow the boat to sit deeper on the trailer, for this to happen.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I will look into the spectrum after we get home from Norris. We have a lift so it does not stay in the water. Typically it's in the water 5-6 hours a week.

I will take a measurement of the distance between the hull and the axel as it sits in the driveway and post back. Maybe someone else can do the same and we can see of that is my issue. Everything is stock as far as I know and I have no reason to believe it's not but who knows... Right. Thanks for the help.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
And someone that posts back needs to have the MFI trailer with the 240. I have a 240, but a shorelandr trailer, so it is the same but different and won't help with the measurements. If you can drag the bow on that frame, something ain't right!