• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Idle adjustment screw..what tool?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So on my SX230 I was surprised the idle screw looks like a torx security head, with a star pattern and a dot in the middle. I have a great set of security bits but the hole provided to adjust through the bypass motor does not allow me to use bits.

Anyone know what is the right tool to make this adjustment?

Thanks!!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this the same screw people adjust for the no wake sensitivity?? We had a write up about that,
On my phone so it's hard to search

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just went out and looked at mine, it also has the knob/stud in the middle,

I don't have many security bits so not sure what works

Maybe @finnrigged might know ??

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks, I got a bit set with a longer shank. Let's see what damage I can cause next weekend

I suspect it's not the rpm but the TPS that is considered in allowing the no wake mode to engage, since the other engine engages even when reaching a little higher. I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks for looking!!!!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I have been able to adjust idle with a long T25 security bit. If I set the idle on the high end to smooth the engine out (1700 on the high end of what is recommended) then on that engine the No-Wake speed button does work. For the other engine, at the same idle and even higher engine speed, the no wake does engage. If I set the idle a little lower on the "trouble" engine it engages also. I THINK it's the TPS position. I rarely use the no-wake buttons since the Gafrig throttles allow good RPM control, and it's TOO hot to work on the boat more than needed, and adjusting the TPS position appears to need to remove the throttle body, so I have set the idle to my linking and will then look to adjust the TPS position when the weather is nicer. When I do I'll fill you in.

Thanks again for the info on the right tool to adjust the idle!