• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New twin turbo six coming to Stellantis

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, I got a hitch and haul for vacations. Problem is when I go to the beach it's often times with a shit of people from out of town and I don't think all my crap would fit.
Like 7 chairs.. 7 surf rods, beach tent, coolers, ect ect.
Ment that on my post but I guess the internet ate it.
Roof box?

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Roof box?
Something like that would probably work. I'll probably just hold with the truck I got and see what happens with the market. Little wagon would work too. I would need one anyways of I went truckless more twice a season yard mulching.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Something like that would probably work. I'll probably just hold with the truck I got and see what happens with the market. Little wagon would work too. I would need one anyways of I went truckless more twice a season yard mulching.
Sorta off topic but...

We spent the money on rubber mulch a couple years ago. The bags are like 3x the price, but it's SO worth it. Instead of mulching every year, or twice a years, we buy a bag or two for spot touch ups. The stuff lasts like forever, and it helps keep the weeds from growing, because it doesn't biodegrade into weed food. We get ours at Sam's club, but I'm sure if you're buying a bunch you could get it at a better price and in bulk. I can't say enough good things about it though, it was absolutely the right choice over regular mulch.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Roof box?
If I keep the Q7, I'll be getting a roof box for the next vacation trip. Already have Thule Aero bars and mounts up there anyway. I've found the second hand market for these is absurdly plentiful, and pretty cheap as well.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Sorta off topic but...

We spent the money on rubber mulch a couple years ago. The bags are like 3x the price, but it's SO worth it. Instead of mulching every year, or twice a years, we buy a bag or two for spot touch ups. The stuff lasts like forever, and it helps keep the weeds from growing, because it doesn't biodegrade into weed food. We get ours at Sam's club, but I'm sure if you're buying a bunch you could get it at a better price and in bulk. I can't say enough good things about it though, it was absolutely the right choice over regular mulch.
This. Made the switch to the Sam’s club stuff 5-6 years ago. Still going strong.

M5Law

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I have the 3.0l "hurricane" 510hp in my new Grand Wagoneer. It's a great motor so far. Pulls my 275 SDX, which I'm guessing is around 8k lbs on the trailer, with no issues. It's very quick and smooth. I've had plenty of 8 cylinder vehicles and this one is quicker (other than my 617 hp F90 M5).

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If there had been a 510hp hurricane Grand Cherokee put it would have been a strong contender vs the BMW X5 M50i I bought.

M5Law

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Yeah, it's strong. I love the X5M, but it's just too small. I went with the Grand Wagoneer because I wanted the 10,000 lbs towing capacity, air suspension, and a third row for when I bring all my kids' friends on the boat.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
If there had been a 510hp hurricane Grand Cherokee put it would have been a strong contender vs the BMW X5 M50i I bought.
How are you liking the X5? My wife is looking for a sporty SUV. I'm trying to lean her towards a SQ8 but she likes the BMW suvs and the GLE AMG (I think?)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How are you liking the X5? My wife is looking for a sporty SUV. I'm trying to lean her towards a SQ8 but she likes the BMW suvs and the GLE AMG (I think?)
@BlkGS Just went through this. He was looking at Hellcats and SQ7's, and landed on an X5.

For me, SQ7 is a better vehicle than the SQ8. Ever so slightly smaller, but has better interior functionality, and IMO better looks.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Love it.

2kwik4u is right... This was... A process, lol. I ended up in an X5 M50i, I couldn't justify the extra money for the X5M, it just wasn't that much more. The M50i gets rowdy, and is kinda bonkers fast. Like it's almost a liability the way it will put on speed. But it isn't drama filled.y wife was scared of the TBSS because it put on speed so aggressively. The M50i puts on speed way faster but doesn't scare her.

The BMW M60/M60 is WAY more vehicle in terms of performance than the SQ7 or SQ8, it honestly rips. I also liked the packaging of everything and the design language more. I will ad.it that SQ7 has a crazy party trick with its 3rd row, but I hated the touchscreen AC, and dont really care for air suspensions, which is the only suspension you can get on SQ7.

GLE was just inferior in every way for more money. I guess that's why I only ever see GLC and GLS on the road.

X5 offers a PHEV too, the 45e of the pre facelift is regarded as more reliable than the newer 50e, but less power and not as quick. I personally don't like the facelift interior, it went to the "one big long screen and no button" cheapness.

Where did you guys land on the kids idea? I will say, the X5 is kinda "just enough" space for day to day with the kids. But if you were to say, hit up Disney or something, with 2 kids it's too small unless you really pack it in. Forget about having another passenger once they're into fullsize car seats in the X5, it becomes a 4 seater. X7 was really not that much bigger either, it adds a 3rd row and more 2nd row room, but the cargo space behind the 3rd row is nearly zero (to be fair, SQ7 is this way too), but it's not like jumping into the expedition.

All that to say, if kids aren't in the plan, I'd go X3 M40i. If they are, accept you're buying a fullsize SUV for her and bite the bullet, unless you'd get the fullsize instead, in which case I'd get the X5 45e. It's the perfect stablemate to a fullsize SUV. X7 is bigger but not really, and x3 is too small to fit car seats behind me.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Love it.

2kwik4u is right... This was... A process, lol. I ended up in an X5 M50i, I couldn't justify the extra money for the X5M, it just wasn't that much more. The M50i gets rowdy, and is kinda bonkers fast. Like it's almost a liability the way it will put on speed. But it isn't drama filled.y wife was scared of the TBSS because it put on speed so aggressively. The M50i puts on speed way faster but doesn't scare her.

The BMW M60/M60 is WAY more vehicle in terms of performance than the SQ7 or SQ8, it honestly rips. I also liked the packaging of everything and the design language more. I will ad.it that SQ7 has a crazy party trick with its 3rd row, but I hated the touchscreen AC, and dont really care for air suspensions, which is the only suspension you can get on SQ7.

GLE was just inferior in every way for more money. I guess that's why I only ever see GLC and GLS on the road.

X5 offers a PHEV too, the 45e of the pre facelift is regarded as more reliable than the newer 50e, but less power and not as quick. I personally don't like the facelift interior, it went to the "one big long screen and no button" cheapness.

Where did you guys land on the kids idea? I will say, the X5 is kinda "just enough" space for day to day with the kids. But if you were to say, hit up Disney or something, with 2 kids it's too small unless you really pack it in. Forget about having another passenger once they're into fullsize car seats in the X5, it becomes a 4 seater. X7 was really not that much bigger either, it adds a 3rd row and more 2nd row room, but the cargo space behind the 3rd row is nearly zero (to be fair, SQ7 is this way too), but it's not like jumping into the expedition.

All that to say, if kids aren't in the plan, I'd go X3 M40i. If they are, accept you're buying a fullsize SUV for her and bite the bullet, unless you'd get the fullsize instead, in which case I'd get the X5 45e. It's the perfect stablemate to a fullsize SUV. X7 is bigger but not really, and x3 is too small to fit car seats behind me.
We have a 3 month old as of this post lol. One and done there. I’m surprised to see you say the x5m60 is more performance wise, on paper the the sq8 seems to better. I haven’t sat on the inside of any. She wants something more sporty looks and the Q7 doesn’t fit the bill there. She looked at a 2023 X7 and same issue too big and not sporty. The Cayenne is a great option to but by far the most expensive. I’d push away from the MB unless V8, def want a v8. We think we may try leasing this time around so it may come down to best deal, none really seem to be a bad choice.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a 3 month old as of this post lol. One and done there. I’m surprised to see you say the x5m60 is more performance wise, on paper the the sq8 seems to better. I haven’t sat on the inside of any. She wants something more sporty looks and the Q7 doesn’t fit the bill there. She looked at a 2023 X7 and same issue too big and not sporty. The Cayenne is a great option to but by far the most expensive. I’d push away from the MB unless V8, def want a v8. We think we may try leasing this time around so it may come down to best deal, none really seem to be a bad choice.
The M50 is rated at 520hp at the crank, the SQ8 500. The SQ7 dynos show it's making about 550hp crank in the real world, something like 470 wheel as I recall. The M50 dynos at about 520 wheel, meaning it makes like 600 crank. Couple that with not being forced into a air suspension, etc... the BMW is definitely the sports car of the bunch. The SQ8 looks like a wannabe Urus, sure. It probably is lighter than the SQ7, so it might flip the script on the X5 vs the SQ7. But the X5 drives great. Throttle house just did a X7/GLS/RR comparo, all with V8s (the X7 was an M60i and the RR uses the V8 from my M50), and the GLS580 got wrecked in it. I think the MB is by far the weakest offering between the 3 mainstream Germans.

The new M60 has a detuned S68 M motor and a 48V mild hybrid. It is admittedly quicker than the M50, but is claimed to make the same power. The hybrid motor just helps it off the line that extra bit.

If it wasn't for the kids (plural), I'd have had a long hard look at the X3 M40i (well, I wanted the X3MC, but same people would got M40i). It's objectively better... better on gas, the B58 is more reliable, the vehicle is more fun, basically as quick... But it didn't fit car seats behind me, which would have been fine with 1 kid, the car seat could go in the middle or behind the passenger seat where my substantially shorter wife sits. But with two kids, no go. Macan would also be a sporty choice here too, or SQ5. They're OK, but always feel small to me. They're like big hatchbacks.

Congrats on the baby! You say one and done now, but in a few months you're gonna realize your baby needs another baby to keep it company. Or you get to where we are with a 2 year old and you miss having a baby around, so you have another one, lol. We knew we wanted 2 , so we just did that, and are continually reminding ourselves that we do not need 3, no matter how cute these 2 have been.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The M50 is rated at 520hp at the crank, the SQ8 500. The SQ7 dynos show it's making about 550hp crank in the real world, something like 470 wheel as I recall. The M50 dynos at about 520 wheel, meaning it makes like 600 crank. Couple that with not being forced into a air suspension, etc... the BMW is definitely the sports car of the bunch. The SQ8 looks like a wannabe Urus, sure. It probably is lighter than the SQ7, so it might flip the script on the X5 vs the SQ7. But the X5 drives great. Throttle house just did a X7/GLS/RR comparo, all with V8s (the X7 was an M60i and the RR uses the V8 from my M50), and the GLS580 got wrecked in it. I think the MB is by far the weakest offering between the 3 mainstream Germans.

The new M60 has a detuned S68 M motor and a 48V mild hybrid. It is admittedly quicker than the M50, but is claimed to make the same power. The hybrid motor just helps it off the line that extra bit.

If it wasn't for the kids (plural), I'd have had a long hard look at the X3 M40i (well, I wanted the X3MC, but same people would got M40i). It's objectively better... better on gas, the B58 is more reliable, the vehicle is more fun, basically as quick... But it didn't fit car seats behind me, which would have been fine with 1 kid, the car seat could go in the middle or behind the passenger seat where my substantially shorter wife sits. But with two kids, no go. Macan would also be a sporty choice here too, or SQ5. They're OK, but always feel small to me. They're like big hatchbacks.

Congrats on the baby! You say one and done now, but in a few months you're gonna realize your baby needs another baby to keep it company. Or you get to where we are with a 2 year old and you miss having a baby around, so you have another one, lol. We knew we wanted 2 , so we just did that, and are continually reminding ourselves that we do not need 3, no matter how cute these 2 have been.
We looked at a X5 yesterday. The 12.3 driver display is the same exact screen used in the Yamaha 25’ boats lol

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We looked at a X5 yesterday. The 12.3 driver display is the same exact screen used in the Yamaha 25’ boats lol
Not surprised. They go to these stupid all in one screens to save money, so it wouldn't surprise me at all that they'd be shared with other vehicles.

I really prefer the preLCI interior that I have, but the people with the newer LCI cars sometimes prefer theirs. A lot of times they don't.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
LCI?