• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New twin turbo six coming to Stellantis

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't driven the 2.7, at least not lately. I did drove the explorer ST with the 3.0 nano, and it was fine. Punchy even I'd call it. I definitely noticed the same delay in our 3.5 expedition, I wouldn't call it lag like my STI had, more like... delay. It was like you put your foot down, the truck is like "what's he doing? Full speed ahead? Are you sure? OK, full speed ahead". And then it'd deliver power.

To be honest, the 3.0 felt like a cheaper to build lighter duty 3.5 alternative. I also didn't like that it seemed to always want to be in boost. That may have been me driving an Explorer st like it should be, but our expedition is more than happy to putt around town out of boost.

I know a lot of people are very pro the 2.7, but it just didn't feel like a better motor than the 3.5 to me.

Funny you bring up the powerstroke though. I found a powerstroke platinum at a very attractive price. I don't think I'd prefer that from a performance standpoint, but man are those neat. Real shame they only came with the smaller gas tank, amd weren't offered very long.
I've been pretty happy with the supercharged 3.0L in the Audi. It doesn't suffer from the delay issues, but does run out of breath on the top end. I'm sure that's either a tuning or supercharger sizing issue more than anything. I miss the sound of my 6.0L N/A motor, but I've learned to like the sound from my 3.0L Boosted motor when it's at full tilt. The transmission "burps" during the shift make me feel like I'm driving something far more exotic than I am too :D

Fun things happen with efficiency at ~1/2L per cylinder if reasonable dimensions are maintained on bore x stroke. That's why you see so many 3.0L 6 cyl's and 2.0L 4cyls, and honestly, 5.0L 8's.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been pretty happy with the supercharged 3.0L in the Audi. It doesn't suffer from the delay issues, but does run out of breath on the top end. I'm sure that's either a tuning or supercharger sizing issue more than anything. I miss the sound of my 6.0L N/A motor, but I've learned to like the sound from my 3.0L Boosted motor when it's at full tilt. The transmission "burps" during the shift make me feel like I'm driving something far more exotic than I am too :D

Fun things happen with efficiency at ~1/2L per cylinder if reasonable dimensions are maintained on bore x stroke. That's why you see so many 3.0L 6 cyl's and 2.0L 4cyls, and honestly, 5.0L 8's.
Honestly, the only ecoboost v6 I have heard that sounded pretty good was the explorer st with the 3" thermal r & d system. None of the rest sound good lol. Not on expedition, f150, explorer, Taurus sho, flex, whatever. Hell even the Ford gt with the ecoboost sounded like butt. Just not a good sounding motor, which is weird because the duratec 3.5 and 3.7 sounded good, a d Ford puts an unusual out if time into engineering their engine sounds.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Supposedly it can also fit in the next gen charger thing they showed off as an EV. Dodge's boss claimed they could do it quickly and easily, but weren't planning to yet. To me that says when the EV switch doesn't happen as pundits expect, they covered themselves somewhat.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would not want one until it's longevity is proven. From what I've read it has very high intake pressure and direct injection. At those high pressure I'm sure it will have a lot of crank case pressure causing a lot of oil residue being recirculated into the intake system (due to emotions system) even with a catch can. Thus causing a lot of carbon build up on valves and intake. I believe Toyota had this problem on their first model 4 cylinders engines when it was only direct injected. Now they have direct and indirect injection.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would not want one until it's longevity is proven. From what I've read it has very high intake pressure and direct injection. At those high pressure I'm sure it will have a lot of crank case pressure causing a lot of oil residue being recirculated into the intake system (due to emotions system) even with a catch can. Thus causing a lot of carbon build up on valves and intake. I believe Toyota had this problem on their first model 4 cylinders engines when it was only direct injected. Now they have direct and indirect injection.
Ford also learned this lesson that you must have port and direct injection, at least on the 3.5L, they may have cut it on the 2.7 and 3.0 Nano motors for cost savings, not sure.

Seems kinda absurd that you'd design a new motor and not recognize that you need dual.injection from what all your competitors have done with the tech...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ford also learned this lesson that you must have port and direct injection, at least on the 3.5L, they may have cut it on the 2.7 and 3.0 Nano motors for cost savings, not sure.

Seems kinda absurd that you'd design a new motor and not recognize that you need dual.injection from what all your competitors have done with the tech...
Audi did the same thing on the 3.0T and 2.0T engines. Secondary injectors to control buildup. It's fairly industry standard at this point IMO, and it's interesting to see Stellantis NOT using it. Maybe they have some catch can tech that makes it unnecessary. Who knows.

Aside from "first year" problems that literally every single machine in the world has (not just engines or cars), I wouldn't shy away from it if I was in the market.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Audi did the same thing on the 3.0T and 2.0T engines. Secondary injectors to control buildup. It's fairly industry standard at this point IMO, and it's interesting to see Stellantis NOT using it. Maybe they have some catch can tech that makes it unnecessary. Who knows.

Aside from "first year" problems that literally every single machine in the world has (not just engines or cars), I wouldn't shy away from it if I was in the market.
It's probably a cost thing. They know they need secondary injectors, but that'd add 100 bucks per unit and the accountants say no.

I'm sure in a few years after they get bad press from dirty intake valves they'll add them in.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Supposedly it can also fit in the next gen charger thing they showed off as an EV. Dodge's boss claimed they could do it quickly and easily, but weren't planning to yet. To me that says when the EV switch doesn't happen as pundits expect, they covered themselves somewhat.
@BlkGS gets a gold star! Stellanis capitulates and the Charger replacement gets the Hurricane engine!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS gets a gold star! Stellanis capitulates and the Charger replacement gets the Hurricane engine!
How many gold stars do.i get if they start offering v8s as "special heritage editions"?

I think the hurricane and whatever replaces the pentastar v6 will be the majority of the engines fitted, but I bet they'll offer special editiona with v8s of some sort. People will go nuts for.them and pay a ton because they're "special".

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How many gold stars do.i get if they start offering v8s as "special heritage editions"?

I think the hurricane and whatever replaces the pentastar v6 will be the majority of the engines fitted, but I bet they'll offer special editiona with v8s of some sort. People will go nuts for.them and pay a ton because they're "special".
I’m not sure if they could, even if they wanted to. Emissions laws is what is killing the Hemi. Even if they could, it would be a regulatory exercise that may not be worth it. But like you said, everybody (I.e. people with money) likes a special edition!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m not sure if they could, even if they wanted to. Emissions laws is what is killing the Hemi. Even if they could, it would be a regulatory exercise that may not be worth it. But like you said, everybody (I.e. people with money) likes a special edition!
I think the emissions issue is more of a "the EPA is killing us with fines" issue than a "it pollutes" issue. In a lower volume special edition (at a hefty price point to add to the bottom line of course), I think it can make a business case. I could see something in a 550hp version of the 6.4L coming out in a few years in fairly limited quantities.

Unless whoever gets elected next year cleanses the EPA and cleans all their crap up that is. Then they'll about face and proclaim they listened to their fans and v8s are back or something like that.

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While you're not wrong. There is a certain level against it in terms of storage and having one more thing to manage. Registration and taxes are also on the list of BS that comes with a trailer.

Also, I can't find one for $500 that's larger than a 4'x8'

With that said, I'm likely to end up with one here in the coming months. The boys both have dirtbikes now, and the hitch carrier is a PIA to deal with.

Aside from a little bit of hassle. Home Depot will rent you one for ~$50/day or so. I've rented one a couple times now. They're actually quite nice trailers.
I was truckless on my farm for several years. Think about going truckless a lot now. I really don't want to go thru the trouble of taking apart my surf rods.
I could put my
Our HOA used to be non existent. For the first 10 years I lived here it was managed by one group and never heard a peep. Now if you have a blade of grass in the cracks in your driveway you'll get a letter. It's annoying AF. It's hard to find houses here without an HOA. That and housing prices have gone absolutely bonkers, assuming your offer would even get accepted that is.
When I moved into my hoa in 2019 it had 17 pages of very reasonable rules.
4 years later it morphed to 117 monster.
We have a new board, so hopefully they will cut to a reasonable number of stupid rules.
Florida past a new state law effective July one 2023 that protects hoa peeps.
If it's in your backyard and out of sight the hoa can't say shit.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was truckless on my farm for several years. Think about going truckless a lot now. I really don't want to go thru the trouble of taking apart my surf rods.
I was truckless for almost 2yrs until I got my beater pickup. $1,500 for a '02 Silverado 1500 from my dad. I've put maybe 3k miles on it this year, and I think 2k of those have been from friends/family borrowing it for a multitude of reasons. If it wasn't a stellar deal I would've been just fine without it.

Those home depot trailers are super easy to grab to do odd jobs as needed if you have something that tows.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I could put my
A lot of folks in this area have bumper mounted rod racks. Use them for at the beach as well as transport to and from the beach.

Jim

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was truckless for almost 2yrs until I got my beater pickup. $1,500 for a '02 Silverado 1500 from my dad. I've put maybe 3k miles on it this year, and I think 2k of those have been from friends/family borrowing it for a multitude of reasons. If it wasn't a stellar deal I would've been just fine without it.

Those home depot trailers are super easy to grab to do odd jobs as needed if you have something that tows.
Honestly, the home Depot trucks are even cheaper than their trailers last time I looked. Pretty nuts, like $20 for the first 90 minutes. If you're hauling pavers or mulch or sod and love relatively close, that's more than enough time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly, the home Depot trucks are even cheaper than their trailers last time I looked. Pretty nuts, like $20 for the first 90 minutes. If you're hauling pavers or mulch or sod and love relatively close, that's more than enough time.
Menards has the same thing. I've not tried them, but have always thought that's also not a terrible idea.

Sherwood

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
A lot of folks in this area have bumper mounted rod racks. Use them for at the beach as well as transport to and from the beach.

Jim
Yeah, I got a hitch and haul for vacations. Problem is when I go to the beach it's often times with a shit of people from out of town and I don't think all my crap would fit.
Like 7 chairs.. 7 surf rods, beach tent, coolers, ect ect.
Ment that on my post but I guess the internet ate it.