• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No speedo

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok so my speedo works with the running lights on but not off? I've got constant 12vs going to it and a good ground. I know my running light switch went out. Works in the down position for all the lights but not just the front light. Any clue?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Marvin willis. I was under the impression your boat uses the same pitot speed pick up that my 06 uses. Are you using a paddle wheel sensor?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Marvin willis. I was under the impression your boat uses the same pitot speed pick up that my 06 uses. Are you using a paddle wheel sensor?
The ARs use a paddle wheel. Our SXs use a pitot.

@Marvin willis, has the wiring behind your dash been modified?

The speedo has two positive inputs. One is for power to run it and should be a purple wire for key switched power. The other is for illumination. My best guess is that the two power inputs are switched or both are from the light switch.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are correct. Purple I have constant 12v. Blue when light switch is on. I cant see why it's not working

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You are correct. Purple I have constant 12v. Blue when light switch is on. I cant see why it's not working
I think the blue and purple may be backwards.

Does the speedo illumination light come on when the ignition is on? Does it come on when the light switch is on?

The three position light switch should be off in the middle. Stern light only when down and Stern, Bow and Gauges when up.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No light in the middle or speedo. All lights down and none up or speedo. I've never changed the wiring on the speedo. I did replace the diode on the switch bc it had corrosion and wasn't making a good connection

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fixed the switch. Now just the speedo doesn't work. Tried a diff 12v source. Didn't help. Don't like the way the ground looks but I tried a better ground and still no speedo without lights

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if the diode is in backwards. They generally only allow current flow in one direction.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
image.jpg I thought this string was about something totally different when I first read the title. Here is a pic from a water park i took my family to this past weekend. I can't say I like the first part of the dress code rule but totally agree with the anti-speedo section since most guys can't pull off the speedo look.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ha. I'm assuming the speedo wheel doesn't need water to work. I'm testing the wheel using an air compressor. The needle does jump when I turn the key on.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
An air compressor should make it work.

Cotay

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've purchased three different speedos trying to troubleshoot a bad one (two used...one new). I ended up replacing the transducer and have yet to test it...it got too late this past weekend so the troubleshooting will have to wait. Maybe my wires were crossed all along...silly me didn't think to check that. :)

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat is back to being perfect. The previous owner wired the speedo wrong. He wired the signal wire to the light and the switch diode wrong so it was always supplying power to the speedo but when the diode got some corrosion on it, it stopped working. At least I have everything working like new

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Marvin willis ..You have been getting quite the workout with you boat. I admire your patience and tenacity.

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Until this I haven't had any issues besides the other starter going out 2 years ago. My next project is getting all the seats recovered this winter. Not looking forward to that bill