• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing for Bimini

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad you have a good memory @waterboy ! Couldn't remember his name for the life of me, will definitely stop there again this year!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lets take that man a flag!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lets take that man a flag!
Looks like if you bring some designer clothing you will drink for free a couple of nights!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Man, I got more sun than I remember!

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Is there a plan for 2016 Bimini shirts?

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is there a plan for 2016 Bimini shirts?
I've been told I should have proofs and pricing by early next week. Once I have all the information I will post it in a new thread.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@andy07sx230ho are you changing the design from last year? If so that will be tough to beat you guys did a great job on last years shirts!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@andy07sx230ho are you changing the design from last year? If so that will be tough to beat you guys did a great job on last years shirts!
Yes we did change the design from last year's and I think this years shirt is the best yet. So far the back of each years shirts, 2014 & 2015, have been different, no shirt were created for the successful 2011 & 2013 trips or the weather cancelled 2012 trip. This year we had a member of this forum, who is an artist, create a one of a kind piece of artwork for the back of the shirts. In addition a couple of us collaborated on the wording the will be around artwork.

No more teases of information about the 2016 shirts, early next week I will post detailed information about the 2016 shirts.

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here are some useful weather reports

National Weather Service AMZ651 - This is North of Fort Lauderdale out to the Gulf Stream and South to the Keys
http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=AMZ651

National Weather Servixe AMZ671 - This it the Eastern portion of the crossing including Bimini
http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=AMZ671

Wundergroupnd AM651 Report - nicely formatted NWS data, has wave height map
https://www.wunderground.com/marine-weather/AM/651.html

Wundergroupnd AM671 Report - nicely formatted NWS data, has wave height map
https://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/671.html

Passage Weather - has wind and wave maps
http://passageweather.com

Weather Station PVGF1 - Port Everglades Channel - Has wind data but no wave data
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=pvgf1

Fort Lauderdale Surf Report - This should be helpful to determine what we will face leaving port.
http://magicseaweed.com/Fort-Lauderdale-Surf-Report/837/

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have updated the content of this thread to reflect what we learned in 2016. This is the entirely new content but I have made relevant changes throughout the thread. All of this is included in the second post.

Approximate Agenda For Bimini Flings

Sunday before 4:00 PM. This is the time to stock up on supplies and food for the trip, pack everything in your boat and launch.

My family will spend the night of the 18th in Fort Pierce, FL which is a little under 2 hours from Fort Lauderdale. Being close will give us more time for final preparations on the 19th.

Last minute supplies - There is a very large Bass Pro Shop with a nice aquarium and restaurant that is likely on your way to launch. A Divers Directis also located in the same parking lot.

Groceries - We shop at the Publix Grocery Store near the Harbor Towne Marina and load the groceries directly into the boat. There is a Winn Dixie a few blocks to the West.

Launch - I recommend launching your boat and leaving your tow vehicle and trailer at Harbour Towne Marina on the Dania Cutoff Canal. They have 24 hour security and have charged $8 per day cash for parking in the past. Harbor Towne is 5 miles by water from the Bahia Mar Yachting Center. You will be boating through slow speed areas. I was pulled over for 7 MPH last year so it will take approximately an hour to boat from Harbor Towne to Bahia Mar. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zpzh8yu or download it from http://tinyurl.com/hu8r32u .

Sunday before 5:30 PM. Please have your boat docked in a slip at Bahia Mar with a full tank of fuel. We will not stop for fuel on the way to Bimini on the 20th. The fuel dock that is open at that time has asked us to fuel up during the day on Sunday as they had difficulty handling our group in 2014. So please fuel up on the 19th. I will do so at Bahia Mar's fuel dock which closes at 5:30 PM. Lauderdale Marina which is NW of the 17th Street Draw Bridge is another option which offers bait and tackle as well as fuel.

Sunday 6:00 PM Captains meeting(s) at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. I would like to break captains meetings up into groups that will be making the crossing together. So we will have three or four smaller captains meetings at locations to be determined. The group leaders and I will work out the split of confirmed participants into groups in April.

Monday 6:00 AM Departure from the Bahia Mar Yachting Center for Bimini Bahamas. I will update the times for departure as we get closer. Current intentions are to have groups leaving at 6:00, 6:10 and 6:20. Please have your boat loaded with all cargo secured before your departure time. Your group will conduct a combination radio check and roll call ten minutes before departure. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zlatnzu or download it from http://tinyurl.com/jo45osd .

First Good Water Day ~ Noon Pot Luck / Party at the Sandbar on the NW side of North Bimini, Bahamas. This paradisal location is 9.4 miles NW of Bimini Sands. This is an area of shallow water and shifting sand so we will need to be careful but should be a great time. My family has been enjoying this location since 2014 and almost everyone visited during the 2016 fling. We will likely find dolphins a little further north and go out in groups to hang out with them. I encourage you to bring inflatable paddle board, kayaks, boats, etc to explore the mangroves. There are many reef areas West of North Bimini that you will pass on the 9.4 mile route to this location. I recommend visiting the Three Sisters rocks where you will find mooring buoys to tie off to, amazing scenery for snorkeling and smaller but hungry reef fish are an easy catch. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zy75fsb or download it from http://tinyurl.com/h5ufatb .

Second Good Water Day - Morning. I would like to take a group for an all day cruise from Bimini around Cat Cay and back. If we have time we may extend to include Ocean Cay. We will start off with a 13.3 mile run to the Tuna Alley reefs which are west of Cat Cay. We will snorkel and fish at this location. Then we will move on to the Rainbow Reefs south of Cat Cay where we will continue with more snorkeling in some of the clearest water with the most vibrant coral that you will find around Bimini. These are drift diving locations. The current is sufficiently swift to pull snorkelers or divers away from your boat. It is an excellent place to use SCUBA gear but the water visibility is greater than the 50' of depth so you can see the coral just by looking over the side of your boat. All snorkelers will really enjoy this location. In the, likely late, afternoon we will stop at Honeymoon Harbor to feed the rays on our way back to Bimini. I imagine most of us will hang out here until evening. Please bring lunch for this excursion, packing dinner would be a good idea.

Saturday ~ 6:00 AM Departure for Fort Lauderdale. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/j8gu5ng or download it from http://tinyurl.com/zwuw56q .

CUSTOMS

You will want to complete the Bimini Customs Forms in advance so that you do not waste time doing so while you are there. You also need to complete an immigration card for each person on your boat. For fling participants where will have these forms available at the captain's meeting. The custom's form needs to be completed by the master of the vessel. This form should be downloaded and filled out prior to departure. Each person/family needs to fill out the immigration form but cannot be downloaded. More info on customs/immigration can be found at Bahamas.com/boating or http://www.bahamas.com/boating-enter-exit. The fee for your boat to clear customs in $150 for boats up to 35' and $300 for larger boats. This fee covers up to 3 people on your boat. The fee increases by $25 for each additional person. You will need a passport for each person on your boat, proof of insurance for your boat, your boats registration document and the appropriate fee in cash to clear customs.

Rough Water Handling Tips
  1. Keep your boat above the water and the water below your boat. Our boats have open bows, a bilge pump and limited self bailing capability. Some boat designs allow water to run out almost as fast as it gets in. Ours do not. So staying on plane and avoiding stuffing the bow into waves is important.
  2. Move your crew as far back as possible while staying in the cockpit. Your boat is basically hinging on the stern when it goes over a wave. The farther back they are the less impact that they feel.
  3. Some small crew members in a lightly loaded boat may wish to lay on one of the side seat cushions while holding on to the nearest handle. The seat cushion will reduce the impact for them.
  4. I find it easiest to stand with my legs bent slightly while crossing rough water. That way my leg muscles can take the force of impact. I have the seat bolster up and in place to catch me if I find the waves to be too rough.
  5. Make sure that you have the kill switch lanyard on.
  6. When the water is rough but not tall enough to come over the bow adding weight to the bow will help to prevent the bow rising which will reduce the impact. Adjustable trim tabs accomplish the same task without the need to shift weight and make it much more convenient to raise or lower the bow.
  7. Regardless of speed you will use more fuel in rough water. On a smooth lake our SX230 should get around 3.4 MPG. On the way to Bimini in 2015 we achieved 1.4 MPG. I believe we saw around 1 MPG when we were caught in a 30 MPH cross wind in the Gulf of Mexico. Even on the lightly loaded and relatively calm return trips from Bimini we have experienced around 2.4 MPG. Our boats are most efficient in undisturbed water so you want to avoid running in the water that has been churned up by the boat in front of you for long periods of time.
  8. Have everything in your boat secured before you enter rough water. It is much more difficult to secure items when you are bouncing around.
  9. If you need to stop decelerate slowly. Coming off plane quickly causes the bow to dip and may result in taking on water. Using reverse will definitely cause your bow to dip.
  10. If you get something in your jet(s) continue on until you find an area of smoother water before stopping to clean out your jets. Having seaweed or something else clogging your jet(s) is unfortunate but not nearly as bad as taking on water while your boat is disabled to clean out the jet(s). We experienced a lot of seaweed around Port Everglades in 2015. It was mixed into the waves and often was impossible to avoid. Once we had a jet clogged we gave it a little time to see if it would free itself then we would move to the leeward side of the groups wake and stop when it looked like the big waves had settled for a while. We decelerated slowly and cleaned out the jet(s) as quickly as possible. @Ranaand I would each clean out a jet so that we could complete the task in half of the time. After cleaning our jets we would accelerate to a speed that was sufficient to allow us to catch up with the group and move into our previous position. It is important not to have fuel cans or anything else on top of your clean out plug hatch. It would be good to practice this skill before you venture into rough water.
  11. When you cross large waves you will hear your jets spinning in the air. This is normal. Many of us have heard it hundreds or thousands of times.
  12. If you do get water in your boat stay calm and stay on plane or at minimum keep the bow up. The water will run out through the scupper valve at the stern. Stopping is the worst thing that you can do.
  13. Your boat has built in flotation. It is very unlikely to sink. Even when filled with water our boats maintain significant freeboard. If your boat were to become disabled stay in the boat. Your boat is easier for rescuers to locate than individuals who will likely be separated once they are in the water.

Changes that were made for the 2016 crossing

1. Focusing on the responsibility of individual Captains for their boat, equipment, crew, cargo, fuel and crossing.
  • Boat - our boats need to be in optimal condition. Everything on the boat needs to be tested. I would recommend having a free US Coast Guard Vessel Safety Check and will do so myself.
  • Equipment - at a very minimum you need to add a handheld VHF and flares. Even though you are crossing in a group you may venture out on your own once in Bimini. Please consider what safety equipment you will have. In 2014 we added Type 1 Life Vests, a fixed VHF radio (up to 20 mile range), two handheld VHF radios (up to 5 mile range), a chart plotter for navigation with a tablet for backup and a second bilge pump. In 2015 planning for a single boar return crossing we added a Delorme inReach satellite tracker and messaging device.
  • Crew - if any of your crew has back or medical issues it would be a good idea to fly them over. On the relatively smooth return portion of the 2015 Fling an experienced Captain hit a rogue wave and suffered a back injury. There is plenty of fun to be had once we get to Bimini. If they are not suited for a long rough crossing of pounding waves please fly them over. I have been in the drivers seat with a screaming passenger where I had to make the decision to ignore that passenger rather than take on water. I would prefer not to experience that again.
  • Cargo - In 2014 we had much better water than 2015 but we had a number of stops to secure cargo. We pack our boat so that the only cargo that is not inside of storage areas is limited to ice chest(s) and an inflatable SUP in the bow. Everything else is inside a door or under a seat. The ice chests are secured so that they can be easily moved into the cockpit without needing to stop the boat. If you have other cargo outside of the storage areas your boat is likely too heavy. If you have to stop to secure cargo in good water you impeding the progress of the group, in rough water you are creating risk for your boat and any others that stop with you.
  • Fuel - Any four stroke Yamaha except for a 190/192 should be able to cross with the fuel in the tank. Many members have done this for years. Even though his crew were the saints at the back of the pack taking care of the slower boats during the 2015 crossing @andy07sx230ho's SX230 made it to Bimini without refueling. In comparison I accelerated to planing speeds around the 20 mile mark and burned 38 gallons with my family, two weeks of food and ham for the group in our SX230. My perspective is that carrying fuel cans increases your boats weight and fuel consumption. It is your decision if you want to carry extra fuel. If you do please do not place the fuel cans where they make clean out ports difficult to use. It is recommended that a 190 carry 10 gallons of extra fuel and a 192 carry 25 gallons of extra fuel at a minimum.
  • Crossing - It is your decision if you want to take your boat out of Port Everglades and attempt the crossing. I am sure that we will all be monitoring the weather and wave forecasts but we learned in 2015 that the forecast may be wrong. If you do venture out of Port Everglades it is your responsibility to get your crew safely to Bimini or return them to Port Everglades. If you experience difficulties other boats will attempt to help but in conditions such as those experienced in 2015 there is very little that another boat of our size and type can do. If you do take on water please keep your crew on your boat. Last year a crew member was injured exiting the stern of a swamped boat. Once in the water your crew will be moving at an average of 4 mph in the Gulf Stream. It is much safer to stay in the boat and wait for rescue. You need to monitor your fuel consumption. If fuel consumption becomes an issue you need to travel at a more efficient speed.

2. Splitting into smaller groups departing at ten minute intervals. The most experienced boaters making the crossing will each lead a small group of four to six boats. I believe this addresses several potential issues;
  • Inaccurate Forecasts - the first group will be several miles out of Port Everglades before the second group exits the port. This lead group will report back about the water conditions. This will avoid the other groups being surprised.
  • Leadership - Each member of the small group will have a leader running immediately ahead. They will be able to see how the leader is taking the waves. This should allow members of the group to emulate the leader and have confidence that they also can handle the upcoming waves.
  • Stopping - each group will handle any issues that occur within that group. If a boat needs to stop the others in the group will either circle or stop depending on the conditions.
  • Communications - it is difficult to hear radio calls with all of the water, wind and engine noise. Each group will use a specific VHF frequency for the group. That way any call on that frequency will be relevant.
  • Observation - After we exit Port Everglades the group members should fan out into a line running beside each other at safe, perhaps 100', intervals at a safe distance behind the leader. This will allow a spotter from the lead boat to observe all of the boats in that group.

3. We will not have a tail. In past years a specific boat has volunteered to be the last and watch for any boats to fall behind. It is unreasonable to ask any boat to take this position. In 2015 the tail spent hours of extra time suffering through rough and dangerous waves. We will not need a tail with small groups that stay together. Our leaders will not travel at unsafe speeds or above the speed that the slowest boat in his group is capable of. Unless the water is very smooth this will be a top speed of 25 to 30 mph. It is the responsibility of the individual Captains to keep up with their leader.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your Probability Of Having A Successful Bimini Fling is 67.5%

Dates are selected months in advance of the trip with no insight into the what the weather will be beyond a general observation that May, June and July often have the best water. JetBoaters have been going to Bimini since 2011. Over those six years one trip has been cancelled due to a tropical storm and 2016 was moved forward one day to avoid impassable water on the planned crossing day and for several days after. Almost half of the boats planning to cross in 2016 could not make the early crossing. So my calculations are that the planned Bimini flings have been 75% successful on the whole.

On an individual level one boat failed to make it out of Port Everglades in 2014 due to mechanical issues, two boats were swamped in 2015 and one boat turned back due to mechanical issues in 2016. This equates to a 90% success in crossing by the boats that started the crossing.

Combining the 75% group success rate with the 90% individual success rate any participant has a 67.5% chance of a successful Bimini trip.

You can improve your chances of having a successful Bimini Fling;
  • Having flexible travel dates increases your odds to 75%
  • Having prior saltwater experience and flexible dates increases your odds to 79%
  • Having a perfectly functioning boat, prior saltwater experience and flexible dates increases your odds to 83%

What happens if I or the group has to cancel

This should be verified when you make your reservation but Bimini Sands reservation policy has allowed for deposit refunds up to two weeks before the start of the reservation. Up to and including the date of the reservation they credit the deposit toward a future stay within the next year.

The reservation policy at the Bahia Mar hotel will depend on how you booked your reservation.

My family does not make reservations for hotels on the tow to and from but many may have additional reservations that they could lose deposits on along the way. Our lack of reservations can make it hard to find a place to stay but also removes the stress of trying to tow a set number of miles each day.

Cost of the trip

Most families budget approximately $4,500 for a group of four, $5,500 for a group of 6 or $6,500 for a group of 8. These are costs directly related to travel, food, lodging, fuel, souvenirs, etc for the trip. These costs vary greatly based on your distance from Fort Lauderdale. If you do not have passports you will need to pay for those as well. Many will spend thousands more on boat upgrades for their first trip.

Some estimated costs are;
  • Bimini Sands lodging and slips range from $1,425 for one bedroom, $1,600 for one bed with loft, $2100 for two bedrooms, $2200 for two beds with a loft or $2300 for three bedrooms.
  • Customs fees are $175 for four, $225 for six or $275 for eight.
  • Boat fuel purchased in Bimini (100 gallons @ $6)~ $600
  • Truck and trailer parking in Fort Lauderdale $80
  • Bahia Mar Yacht Club Hotel and Slip $200
  • Groceries, I spend around $125 per person so $500 for four, $750 for six or $1,000 for 8.
  • Eating out in Bimini, we typically spend around $300 for two meals for our family of four
  • Fuel for the tow, I budget $4 a gallon at 10 MPG for a 2,500 mile tow which is $1,000.
  • I also budget two hotel stays for the tow in each direction and meals for those days.
Most of your time in Bimini will be on the water where no shopping is available. You will want to budget for some souvenir shopping. There are few opportunities to buy souvenirs, the ship stores at the marinas all have shirts and hats. There are interesting clothing shops along the streets of North Bimini.

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
there is a lot of thought put into this

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What kind of fuel is sold in Bimini?

Oh, we got both kinds. We got gas and diesel!

Both gas and diesel are sold at Bimini Sands and Bimini Blue Water. There is only a single grade of gas available and that is whatever came on the last tanker. I have experienced prices from $4.50 to over $6.00 per gallon. @Andy S says that the price is typically $2.50 more than you pay in the US. You can charge fuel to your condo at Bimini Sands which expedites the process. In 2014 both fuel docks were out of fuel when we arrived. No fuel was available for our first 36 hours in Bimini. In 2015 and 2016 fuel has been available for the entirety of the group trip.

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What kind of fuel is sold in Bimini?

Both gas and diesel are sold at Bimini Sands and Bimini Blue Water. There is only a single grade of gas available and that is whatever came on the last tanker. I have experienced prices from $4.50 to over $6.00 per gallon. You can charge fuel to your condo at Bimini Sands which expedites the process. In 2014 both fuel docks were out of fuel when we arrived. No fuel was available for our first 36 hours in Bimini. In 2015 and 2016 fuel has been available for the entirety of the group trip.
As a rule of thumb, Bimini fuel is about $2.50 more than the average price in the states.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have updated the content of this thread to reflect what we learned in 2016. This is the entirely new content but I have made relevant changes throughout the thread. All of this is included in the second post.

Approximate Agenda For Bimini Flings

Sunday before 4:00 PM. This is the time to stock up on supplies and food for the trip, pack everything in your boat and launch.

My family will spend the night of the 18th in Fort Pierce, FL which is a little under 2 hours from Fort Lauderdale. Being close will give us more time for final preparations on the 19th.

Last minute supplies - There is a very large Bass Pro Shop with a nice aquarium and restaurant that is likely on your way to launch. A Divers Directis also located in the same parking lot.

Groceries - We shop at the Publix Grocery Store near the Harbor Towne Marina and load the groceries directly into the boat. There is a Winn Dixie a few blocks to the West.

Launch - I recommend launching your boat and leaving your tow vehicle and trailer at Harbour Towne Marina on the Dania Cutoff Canal. They have 24 hour security and have charged $8 per day cash for parking in the past. Harbor Towne is 5 miles by water from the Bahia Mar Yachting Center. You will be boating through slow speed areas. I was pulled over for 7 MPH last year so it will take approximately an hour to boat from Harbor Towne to Bahia Mar. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zpzh8yu or download it from http://tinyurl.com/hu8r32u .

Sunday before 5:30 PM. Please have your boat docked in a slip at Bahia Mar with a full tank of fuel. We will not stop for fuel on the way to Bimini on the 20th. The fuel dock that is open at that time has asked us to fuel up during the day on Sunday as they had difficulty handling our group in 2014. So please fuel up on the 19th. I will do so at Bahia Mar's fuel dock which closes at 5:30 PM. Lauderdale Marina which is NW of the 17th Street Draw Bridge is another option which offers bait and tackle as well as fuel.

Sunday 6:00 PM Captains meeting(s) at Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel. I would like to break captains meetings up into groups that will be making the crossing together. So we will have three or four smaller captains meetings at locations to be determined. The group leaders and I will work out the split of confirmed participants into groups in April.

Monday 6:00 AM Departure from the Bahia Mar Yachting Center for Bimini Bahamas. I will update the times for departure as we get closer. Current intentions are to have groups leaving at 6:00, 6:10 and 6:20. Please have your boat loaded with all cargo secured before your departure time. Your group will conduct a combination radio check and roll call ten minutes before departure. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zlatnzu or download it from http://tinyurl.com/jo45osd .

First Good Water Day ~ Noon Pot Luck / Party at the Sandbar on the NW side of North Bimini, Bahamas. This paradisal location is 9.4 miles NW of Bimini Sands. This is an area of shallow water and shifting sand so we will need to be careful but should be a great time. My family has been enjoying this location since 2014 and almost everyone visited during the 2016 fling. We will likely find dolphins a little further north and go out in groups to hang out with them. I encourage you to bring inflatable paddle board, kayaks, boats, etc to explore the mangroves. There are many reef areas West of North Bimini that you will pass on the 9.4 mile route to this location. I recommend visiting the Three Sisters rocks where you will find mooring buoys to tie off to, amazing scenery for snorkeling and smaller but hungry reef fish are an easy catch. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/zy75fsb or download it from http://tinyurl.com/h5ufatb .

Second Good Water Day - Morning. I would like to take a group for an all day cruise from Bimini around Cat Cay and back. If we have time we may extend to include Ocean Cay. We will start off with a 13.3 mile run to the Tuna Alley reefs which are west of Cat Cay. We will snorkel and fish at this location. Then we will move on to the Rainbow Reefs south of Cat Cay where we will continue with more snorkeling in some of the clearest water with the most vibrant coral that you will find around Bimini. These are drift diving locations. The current is sufficiently swift to pull snorkelers or divers away from your boat. It is an excellent place to use SCUBA gear but the water visibility is greater than the 50' of depth so you can see the coral just by looking over the side of your boat. All snorkelers will really enjoy this location. In the, likely late, afternoon we will stop at Honeymoon Harbor to feed the rays on our way back to Bimini. I imagine most of us will hang out here until evening. Please bring lunch for this excursion, packing dinner would be a good idea.

Saturday ~ 6:00 AM Departure for Fort Lauderdale. You can view the route at http://tinyurl.com/j8gu5ng or download it from http://tinyurl.com/zwuw56q .

CUSTOMS

You will want to complete the Bimini Customs Forms in advance so that you do not waste time doing so while you are there. You also need to complete an immigration card for each person on your boat. For fling participants where will have these forms available at the captain's meeting. The custom's form needs to be completed by the master of the vessel. This form should be downloaded and filled out prior to departure. Each person/family needs to fill out the immigration form but cannot be downloaded. More info on customs/immigration can be found at Bahamas.com/boating or http://www.bahamas.com/boating-enter-exit. The fee for your boat to clear customs in $150 for boats up to 35' and $300 for larger boats. This fee covers up to 3 people on your boat. The fee increases by $25 for each additional person. You will need a passport for each person on your boat, proof of insurance for your boat, your boats registration document and the appropriate fee in cash to clear customs.

Rough Water Handling Tips
  1. Keep your boat above the water and the water below your boat. Our boats have open bows, a bilge pump and limited self bailing capability. Some boat designs allow water to run out almost as fast as it gets in. Ours do not. So staying on plane and avoiding stuffing the bow into waves is important.
  2. Move your crew as far back as possible while staying in the cockpit. Your boat is basically hinging on the stern when it goes over a wave. The farther back they are the less impact that they feel.
  3. Some small crew members in a lightly loaded boat may wish to lay on one of the side seat cushions while holding on to the nearest handle. The seat cushion will reduce the impact for them.
  4. I find it easiest to stand with my legs bent slightly while crossing rough water. That way my leg muscles can take the force of impact. I have the seat bolster up and in place to catch me if I find the waves to be too rough.
  5. Make sure that you have the kill switch lanyard on.
  6. When the water is rough but not tall enough to come over the bow adding weight to the bow will help to prevent the bow rising which will reduce the impact. Adjustable trim tabs accomplish the same task without the need to shift weight and make it much more convenient to raise or lower the bow.
  7. Regardless of speed you will use more fuel in rough water. On a smooth lake our SX230 should get around 3.4 MPG. On the way to Bimini in 2015 we achieved 1.4 MPG. I believe we saw around 1 MPG when we were caught in a 30 MPH cross wind in the Gulf of Mexico. Even on the lightly loaded and relatively calm return trips from Bimini we have experienced around 2.4 MPG. Our boats are most efficient in undisturbed water so you want to avoid running in the water that has been churned up by the boat in front of you for long periods of time.
  8. Have everything in your boat secured before you enter rough water. It is much more difficult to secure items when you are bouncing around.
  9. If you need to stop decelerate slowly. Coming off plane quickly causes the bow to dip and may result in taking on water. Using reverse will definitely cause your bow to dip.
  10. If you get something in your jet(s) continue on until you find an area of smoother water before stopping to clean out your jets. Having seaweed or something else clogging your jet(s) is unfortunate but not nearly as bad as taking on water while your boat is disabled to clean out the jet(s). We experienced a lot of seaweed around Port Everglades in 2015. It was mixed into the waves and often was impossible to avoid. Once we had a jet clogged we gave it a little time to see if it would free itself then we would move to the leeward side of the groups wake and stop when it looked like the big waves had settled for a while. We decelerated slowly and cleaned out the jet(s) as quickly as possible. @Ranaand I would each clean out a jet so that we could complete the task in half of the time. After cleaning our jets we would accelerate to a speed that was sufficient to allow us to catch up with the group and move into our previous position. It is important not to have fuel cans or anything else on top of your clean out plug hatch. It would be good to practice this skill before you venture into rough water.
  11. When you cross large waves you will hear your jets spinning in the air. This is normal. Many of us have heard it hundreds or thousands of times.
  12. If you do get water in your boat stay calm and stay on plane or at minimum keep the bow up. The water will run out through the scupper valve at the stern. Stopping is the worst thing that you can do.
  13. Your boat has built in flotation. It is very unlikely to sink. Even when filled with water our boats maintain significant freeboard. If your boat were to become disabled stay in the boat. Your boat is easier for rescuers to locate than individuals who will likely be separated once they are in the water.

Changes that were made for the 2016 crossing

1. Focusing on the responsibility of individual Captains for their boat, equipment, crew, cargo, fuel and crossing.
  • Boat - our boats need to be in optimal condition. Everything on the boat needs to be tested. I would recommend having a free US Coast Guard Vessel Safety Check and will do so myself.
  • Equipment - at a very minimum you need to add a handheld VHF and flares. Even though you are crossing in a group you may venture out on your own once in Bimini. Please consider what safety equipment you will have. In 2014 we added Type 1 Life Vests, a fixed VHF radio (up to 20 mile range), two handheld VHF radios (up to 5 mile range), a chart plotter for navigation with a tablet for backup and a second bilge pump. In 2015 planning for a single boar return crossing we added a Delorme inReach satellite tracker and messaging device.
  • Crew - if any of your crew has back or medical issues it would be a good idea to fly them over. On the relatively smooth return portion of the 2015 Fling an experienced Captain hit a rogue wave and suffered a back injury. There is plenty of fun to be had once we get to Bimini. If they are not suited for a long rough crossing of pounding waves please fly them over. I have been in the drivers seat with a screaming passenger where I had to make the decision to ignore that passenger rather than take on water. I would prefer not to experience that again.
  • Cargo - In 2014 we had much better water than 2015 but we had a number of stops to secure cargo. We pack our boat so that the only cargo that is not inside of storage areas is limited to ice chest(s) and an inflatable SUP in the bow. Everything else is inside a door or under a seat. The ice chests are secured so that they can be easily moved into the cockpit without needing to stop the boat. If you have other cargo outside of the storage areas your boat is likely too heavy. If you have to stop to secure cargo in good water you impeding the progress of the group, in rough water you are creating risk for your boat and any others that stop with you.
  • Fuel - Any four stroke Yamaha except for a 190/192 should be able to cross with the fuel in the tank. Many members have done this for years. Even though his crew were the saints at the back of the pack taking care of the slower boats during the 2015 crossing @andy07sx230ho's SX230 made it to Bimini without refueling. In comparison I accelerated to planing speeds around the 20 mile mark and burned 38 gallons with my family, two weeks of food and ham for the group in our SX230. My perspective is that carrying fuel cans increases your boats weight and fuel consumption. It is your decision if you want to carry extra fuel. If you do please do not place the fuel cans where they make clean out ports difficult to use. It is recommended that a 190 carry 10 gallons of extra fuel and a 192 carry 25 gallons of extra fuel at a minimum.
  • Crossing - It is your decision if you want to take your boat out of Port Everglades and attempt the crossing. I am sure that we will all be monitoring the weather and wave forecasts but we learned in 2015 that the forecast may be wrong. If you do venture out of Port Everglades it is your responsibility to get your crew safely to Bimini or return them to Port Everglades. If you experience difficulties other boats will attempt to help but in conditions such as those experienced in 2015 there is very little that another boat of our size and type can do. If you do take on water please keep your crew on your boat. Last year a crew member was injured exiting the stern of a swamped boat. Once in the water your crew will be moving at an average of 4 mph in the Gulf Stream. It is much safer to stay in the boat and wait for rescue. You need to monitor your fuel consumption. If fuel consumption becomes an issue you need to travel at a more efficient speed.

2. Splitting into smaller groups departing at ten minute intervals. The most experienced boaters making the crossing will each lead a small group of four to six boats. I believe this addresses several potential issues;
  • Inaccurate Forecasts - the first group will be several miles out of Port Everglades before the second group exits the port. This lead group will report back about the water conditions. This will avoid the other groups being surprised.
  • Leadership - Each member of the small group will have a leader running immediately ahead. They will be able to see how the leader is taking the waves. This should allow members of the group to emulate the leader and have confidence that they also can handle the upcoming waves.
  • Stopping - each group will handle any issues that occur within that group. If a boat needs to stop the others in the group will either circle or stop depending on the conditions.
  • Communications - it is difficult to hear radio calls with all of the water, wind and engine noise. Each group will use a specific VHF frequency for the group. That way any call on that frequency will be relevant.
  • Observation - After we exit Port Everglades the group members should fan out into a line running beside each other at safe, perhaps 100', intervals at a safe distance behind the leader. This will allow a spotter from the lead boat to observe all of the boats in that group.

3. We will not have a tail. In past years a specific boat has volunteered to be the last and watch for any boats to fall behind. It is unreasonable to ask any boat to take this position. In 2015 the tail spent hours of extra time suffering through rough and dangerous waves. We will not need a tail with small groups that stay together. Our leaders will not travel at unsafe speeds or above the speed that the slowest boat in his group is capable of. Unless the water is very smooth this will be a top speed of 25 to 30 mph. It is the responsibility of the individual Captains to keep up with their leader.

Customs coming back into US bit a bunch of us in '15. Believe it can be spelled out better.
-Start calling that 800 number the minute you have US cell service, from the boat (took some hours to get through).
-With code given on call, the stop in at customs only takes a few minutes and you are done and gone-

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Customs coming back into US bit a bunch of us in '15. Believe it can be spelled out better.
-Start calling that 800 number the minute you have US cell service, from the boat (took some hours to get through).
-With code given on call, the stop in at customs only takes a few minutes and you are done and gone-
2016 was the first year that we had any delay with customs on the US side. For 2017 I am going to let them know when we plan to return and the size of the group months in advance.