• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pulling out of a steep ramp with 2 WD truck

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
So, my 4x4 has been at the dealership for some warranty items. My friend lent me his Ram Pickup to tow my boat. I didn’t pay attention to the fact that it was 2 WD.

I ended up launching from a steeper ramp than the usual one and when trying to come out, the wheels started spinning and there was no way that we were coming out with the truck. Thankfully, a very simple idea came to my mind which was to simply gas the boat while someone drives the truck forward (duh).

As expected, that worked very well and I was able to pull the boat out.

Sharing in case someone faces a similar issue

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, my 4x4 has been at the dealership for some warranty items. My friend lent me his Ram Pickup to tow my boat. I didn’t pay attention to the fact that it was 2 WD.

I ended up launching from a steeper ramp than the usual one and when trying to come out, the wheels started spinning and there was no way that we were coming out with the truck. Thankfully, a very simple idea came to my mind which was to simply gas the boat while someone drives the truck forward (duh).

As expected, that worked very well and I was able to pull the boat out.

Sharing in case someone faces a similar issue
I’m not sure I would have thought of that. Nice bush fix 😂

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Depends on how steep is steep and also if the ramp has some sort of texture. Never had a problem with my 2WD truck, but I'm looking for 4WD replacement as you only need it when you need it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I have 4WD and never use it. Good tires > 4WD. I see a lot of people gun it out of the ramp too. Go slow and let the torque build up.

Neat idea though - I don't think I would have thought of it.

Alexegan88

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
On my 252SE I have needed the 4x4 multiple times. I have watched 2wd trucks unable to pull their boats out on the same ramps. If you have a heavy boat- it’s the best investment you can make.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Having someone stand on the tongue works. Seems a little dangerous but it works. I changed ramps for this reason. Too much trouble.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Having someone stand on the tongue works. Seems a little dangerous but it works. I changed ramps for this reason. Too much trouble.
We tried with 3 big guys on truck bumper and rear tires kept spinning

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cox park get you stuck a time or two? It's the only local ramp I've HAD to use 4WD to get in/out of in the middle of summer.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fun story time......Because it's Monday morning, slightly relevant, and I don't want to start work yet.

Years and years ago (like 2010) my friend and I rode our bicycles from Louisville to Philadelphia. 100mi/day for 7 days. We had his dad following along, and meeting us every 25-40mi for snacks/break/support/etc. He was driving my '03 Yukon that was 4wd. We would typically take off, and he would meander his way ahead and go to starbucks, or find a place to read a book for an hour, or whatever while we pedalled along. He never missed a meetup and was frequently early with chairs setup and the cooler out for us. Super great experience because of him.......I found out about 2-3 years go that he was in the early planning stages of getting a truck/camper to tour the country after he retired in a year or two. He was CONVINCED that he didn't need 4wd for his tow vehicle before our cycling trip. He described it as "I thought the idea of 4wd south of Michigan was just stupid". Well, come to find out, several times on our cycling trip he backed into a farmers field, or otherwise found a quiet spot in the shade off the pavement to sit and read or relax. The first time he did that, he got stuck. Like in 2WD and couldn't move. He had to dig through the glove box, read the manual, and put the Yukon in 4wd to get out. He ended up doing this 3-4 times on accident. His camper tow vehicle ended up being 4wd after this experience. His response to me was "Once I realized that it's incredibly easy to get stuck without it, it became a non-negotiable feature".

Moral of the story.......It's easier to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Happy Monday all!

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
GMC owner's manual for our 21 AT4 says to always put in 4-wheel drive and use wheel chocks at the boat ramp.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
GMC owner's manual for our 21 AT4 says to always put in 4-wheel drive and use wheel chocks at the boat ramp.
That is a bit overkill lol.

Though I watched a Gladiator pull out a 30'+ SeaRay, clearly passed the weight limits. He used wheel chocks every few feet to pull her out.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Cox park get you stuck a time or two? It's the only local ramp I've HAD to use 4WD to get in/out of in the middle of summer.
I try to avoid that one at all cost. I have a 2WD which makes things even worse. I put in at Juniper Beach now. The ramp is not steep and no gravel to worry about.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been in two trucks have had lost brakes on the ramp and ended up cab deep in the water. These are good reccomendations (even if I don't follow them myself)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I try to avoid that one at all cost. I have a 2WD which makes things even worse. I put in at Juniper Beach now. The ramp is not steep and no gravel to worry about.
We put in at Cox park last Wednesday. It wasn't overly slippery, but the shenanigans from the crowd and the others on the ramp was exceptionally high. We use it 2-3 times a year, just enough to remind us to not to.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have 4WD and never use it. Good tires > 4WD. I see a lot of people gun it out of the ramp too. Go slow and let the torque build up.

Neat idea though - I don't think I would have thought of it.
I am sort of surprised no truck maker has come out with something like "boat launch control" yet. A feature where the truck slowly pulls the boat out for you or so.ething like that.

Side note, I REALLY want to see someone with a hellcat jeep or Durango use launch control to pull a boat out now.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am sort of surprised no truck maker has come out with something like "boat launch control" yet. A feature where the truck slowly pulls the boat out for you or so.ething like that.

Side note, I REALLY want to see someone with a hellcat jeep or Durango use launch control to pull a boat out now.
Along with decent control, my Denali has hill start control. which actually works, especially with a load when you need it. The trouble with suggestions in the manual, or what has worked or not worked for everyone else, there are just too many variables to make blanket statements.

Dirt, concrete, asphalt landing, if it's wet/dry, if there is sand on top of the concrete. the angle, the weight of the load, weight of the truck, type of tires, experience of the driver and the never ending pressure of the line behind them.

Each and every variable may or may not play into each launch or retrieval. It's like the folks that make the blanket statement that "if you know how to load a boat, you don't need guide poles" If you only launch at one ramp, you get a system down. If I played the same hole of golf, I would be an expert.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
i have 4x4 but never used once, but my truck weighs double compared to my boat (7Klbs vs 3-4Klbs boat), that helps for sure. When I travelled across the country with my RV (7K lbs) I never use 4x4 either but I wouldn't dare to go camp in UT desert, grand canyon, and TX beaches without 4X4. It's good to have 4x4 knowing its there when you need it, just got to more places that otherwise I would likely avoid.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

My tacoma has "Crawl control". Basically it has different settings for different terrain and it can be set to 1,2,3,4, or 5mph. It detects slip in all the wheels and provides power accordingly. It definitely would work if trying to pull a boat out from a beach, dirt, or other terrain. Otherwise 2wd or 4wd is enough for any ramp that I've seen. Its cool. There's videos on youtube of people purposely getting the truck stuck in sand and using crawl control to get out of impossible situations.