• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reverse module error

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I am in Connecticut,and the dealer is in NY.It is about a 30 mile drive,the short way,over multiple steep hills and winding roads.Or about 50 miles on the highway.If it is the module,I will take it back,but only if it is under warranty.Chances are at this point,they probably will not cover it.
I'm about 100 miles away from my dealer, but it's all highway. Good guys to work with so I don't mind.

How far away are you from A&S Boats? They're in South Windsor. Might be worth finding someone else. Good luck.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum :Welcome:

Martin Moister

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have a 2018 223 VRX and have had repeated issues with this stupid ereverse since the day I picked it up. This is somewhere near the 5th time I have either had to take it to the dealer or have them come out to the dock to work on this issue. It's getting old.
I would love to find someone who knows enough about ereverse to disable it. It's a pain in the you know what and has led to me not feeling the boat is anyway reliable to take any great distance from home.
If I cannot find someone to disable it, then I am about ready to get rid of it. I am sure others out there feel the same way because I read tons of forums which are filled with ereverse problems.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I know how frustrating that is. I went through months of correcting electrical wiring issues when my boat was new. Sorry I cannot help with your question on how to disable the module. Probably involves ECU program changes.

Did your dealer tell you what they did or tired to do for the temporary fix? I assume you read through this thread to see what others found. Battery connection and relays are the primary culprits.

Martin Moister

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yeah, they had repaired wiring behind the throttle/shift assembly, replaced the ereverse module, replaced one of the batteries (2nd day we had the boat), reflashed the software on both engines & replaced the Medallion display module.
In each case, it worked after their repairs only to return at a later time. Personally, I think there is a design flaw from the factory. There is no way this thing should be that sensitive to low battery voltage like many people report. More importantly, what do many people do with their boats? They head to a sandbar or other favorite spot for several hours and play their music which tends to draw down the battery somewhat, not enough to prevent the engines from turning over, but apparently enough to flip out the ereverse module, which then overrides the engine throttle and forces you to limp back home. It is way more than frustrating. While the VRX is an absolute joy to drive when it is working correctly, its unreliable because of all the sensors and computer glitches., like ereverse.
Ohh, did I mention that I just dropped it off at the dealer today for another such ereverse error? Fault Codes C2161, C2101, and C2102 upon first try to start after being winterized by the dealer. Its also tripping the breaker.... been there done that before. Again, I don't blame the dealer...I believe the blame lies squarely with Chapparal and Rotax. It was a good idea in concept but poorly executed/implemented.
I have also had several other computer related issues since day 1 which prevented the boat from starting or turning over. One such issue was caused because the two engines had a conflict with a security code which prevented them from communicating with the Medallion. Why in Gods name would they inject a security code which invalidates the engine's ability to communicate with the master console? Is there a problem with customers arbitrarily changing their engines with black market versions? Of course, I am being facetious, but my point is that they went off the deep end with sensors and computer controls which inhibit the reliability of the boat.
Anyway, thanks for listening.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Wow! I thought my battery drain issue due to incorrect factory wiring was a nightmare. You get the crown for having the most problems and the most patients.

The one time I had my reverse module fault it was due to a weak electrical continuity connection and not a weak battery charge.

I constantly get O2 sensor faults and was told salt water exacerbates the issue. I reset and it comes back again.

In my opinion all the issues are with Rotax and not Chaparral. Good luck.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Martin Moister pretty sad hearing that you have so much problem with your eReverse module. Can you make sure to ask your dealer to verify which hardware your have, the new module should be 462091. Previous generation 461345 was known to cause issues as you are reporting. If your dealer needs to replace the module, the replacement module assy 462647 (containing new module 462091).

As far as the security code, it's the other way around. It's the Medallion that loses its ability to communicate with the ECMs & cause the problem. The purpose of the function is not to prevent "black market engine" but rather incorrect mismatched ECM's swap.

Heatherg

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Boat has been back to the dealer twice for different issues.This reverse module thing is new and they where booked for two weeks ahead when I called on this problem.Dealer is not my go-to anymore,they are difficult to work with and a very tough ride to get to from where I live.I have checked all the relays,no moisture issues on any of the connectors.I was an ASE certified mechanic and just know that there must have been something to trigger this,and hope it will be a simple thing when it finally happens.
So is your reverse module fixed?
Mine is at the dealer right now to fix a few things while under warranty. They replaced the iNR (reverse module) stating they have replaced about 30 so far. I guess the older ones are known to be problematic. Where are you located?
How much was this to fix. Boat Located in Angola Indiana, but live in Detroit area :(

James R Whitten

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length

How much was this to fix. Boat Located in Angola Indiana, but live in Detroit area :(
Make sure your battery is good. These boats a very finicky when it comes to electrical systems. Also there's two relays in the fuse panel in the engine compartment that go bad. You could try replacing those as well.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

Mine was covered under warranty.

Check out this post and thread. Maybe this is your problem? Can you provide a picture of this area?

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Any Codes showing up in your gauge Fault Menu page?

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I also had the reverse model fault, it was the tethering switch by the shifter lever, replaced switch, no more issues!!!

Yudier549

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hey, guys I really need your help or I’m going to set my 2017 scarab 195 on fire!

I have an ibr error fault with code u0410, when I turn on the ignition cluster lights and Starts scanning the reverse, neutral, then forward, then the ibr fault light come on and cluster always shows forward no matter where you put the throttle handle at always stays on forward, battery Is new and good, both 30 amp relays are new, just replaced ibr module is new and has been married to the ecm with buds2 now buds 2 does not communicate with the cluster! It only Communicate with ecm, ibr... all Modules communicate via the canbus is two wires White/black, white/red both wires had 0ohms from cluster to fuse and From the fuse box to the ec, remove cluster check wires 12v constant power good, 12v ignition wire is good when you open key, ground wire is good, can bus wire has 5 volts between both wires one wire has 2.7v the other has 2.3v total of 5 volts! Any ideas I attached some pictures!

Attachments

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
U0410 is the Gauge not seeing the eReverse module.
Did you installed a iBR module coming from a watercraft?? If that's the case it will not work, even though they are physically the same hardware, the internal software & calibration is totally different & obviously not compatible.
If you did install a Rotax iNR module, make sure the part number, located on a small label on the other side of the connector, says # 462091. That's the must recent module. If it's the previous # 461345 then the module may unfortunately be corrupted & creating that communication error.

Yudier549

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply, my scarab dealer is useless down here, The ibr I had was 462091 I replace it with a Seadoo 278003606 part, cant communicate with cluster using buds or buds 2 just order a new cluster, thinking cluster issues inside ??

Darooster930

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I'm having the same error show up, but mine was missing the connector from the cable to the reverse module and also wanted connected to the gate, brand new 215 250hp, nearest dealer is 5hrs away, ive got everything hooked back up and seems to be working, but can't clear the error, what do I need to buy to fix that

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I'm having the same error show up, but mine was missing the connector from the cable to the reverse module and also wanted connected to the gate, brand new 215 250hp, nearest dealer is 5hrs away, ive got everything hooked back up and seems to be working, but can't clear the error, what do I need to buy to fix that
Either BUDS or CanDoo Pro. Where do you live?

wango tango

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I also had the reverse model fault, it was the tethering switch by the shifter lever, replaced switch, no more issues!!!
Had reverse fault again but this time it was the fuss hidden behind the fuss box in wiring harness by battery box.

Darooster930

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Either BUDS or CanDoo Pro. Where do you live?
Found issue, reverse module arm was bent, how this happened on a brand new boat doesnt make sense, ive been trying to contact Scarab direct, Pacific marine group hasn't been any help

poe14

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Sorry for the delay. But all they said was it was a reverse module relay failure. I found the relay. It was just a regular relay. I'll get a picture of the relay with the part number.
Did you ever get picture of that relay?