• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 165 cranks but start

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Can you post a picture of the cluster showing “forward”?
p0410 is an O2 sensor error code. Does it accelerate OK? This will likely impact fuel economy (slightly), but will not hurt your engine. I’m pretty sure that Scarab or BRP extended the O2 sensor warranty.

RODEO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Update.... since I put gas in and it idled fine for a few minutes, I've yet to do more. I then had my mechanic look at it, and he saw oil "outside of cylinder", he thought possibly blown or lifted seal. Me not being a mechanic, I don't know what to make of that. He's not certified on Scarab, and since I'm under warranty, directed me back to the dealer (90 miles away :-0). The dealer said if it's running OK, perhaps see how it runs over some time.

Question, oil on the cylinder, something to worry about, should it be addressed now/soon/eventually?

Thanks in advance, we're missing some great weather days on the boat :(

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Update.... since I put gas in and it idled fine for a few minutes, I've yet to do more. I then had my mechanic look at it, and he saw oil "outside of cylinder", he thought possibly blown or lifted seal. Me not being a mechanic, I don't know what to make of that. He's not certified on Scarab, and since I'm under warranty, directed me back to the dealer (90 miles away :-0). The dealer said if it's running OK, perhaps see how it runs over some time.

Question, oil on the cylinder, something to worry about, should it be addressed now/soon/eventually?

Thanks in advance, we're missing some great weather days on the boat :(
Could be inconsequential valve cover leak-gotta be located exactly where and how much before u can know if its serious

RODEO

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
My Mechanic says if I order the parts, he can fix it, he says it's the O rings, and to order the following:
Valve cover gasket kit (be sure it includes the O rings, & spark plugs.
I tried searching this via Amazon etc., including the parts page linked earlier in this thread, but I am not finding the kit.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am pretty darn sure this is the Scarab 165 G, which If I'm correct is not super charged. SO I was surprised when I looked at the engine cover and it says Super Charged. I looked for a super charger near the intake, and I didn't see one, so I'm confused. I suppose the gasket kit would be the same regardless?

wan888

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
My friend's boat has the same issue. Will crank but won't start.
Here's what we end up doing:

1. Check if you have GAS = YES
2. Check if the fuel pump is working, usually have a hizzing sound = YES
3. Check if the fuel rail has fuel coming out, you can do this buy removing the fuel rail clip but be prepared with an empty bottle to hold the fuel (Gas) = YES
4. Turn on the ignition but NOT start the engine, fuel will pump out of the rail and put them in a clear bottle (e.g distill water bottle)

Once we did the above, and we found water in the fuel. It's because somehow water went in fuel tank and contaminated. It was resolved by emptying the tank and refuel with clean fuel.

The cause was a design problem with the nozzle.

Hope this helps.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi @RODEO , apologies, I was away on vacation for a while.

Get your engine model number. Pull the oil dip stick out, then pull the engine cover off. Once that's done, there is a SECOND plastic cover that can also be pulled up. Once the two covers are off, you'll find stickers, one of which has your engine model number.

Then, go to http://epc.brp.com/ From there, select Rotax JPS, followed by the letters associated with the last letters of your engine model number. AA = 2014, AB = 2015, etc. But don't go by the boat "year" since the engine could be from the previous year like in my case.

After selecting the right letter code, select the right engine HP (presumably, 150HP, but if you have a supercharged engine, then it's not the 150. If you take multiple pictures of the engine from the top and the sides and also make sure to include the far back of the boat inside the engine hatch, I can probably tell you which engine you have). Then you should be selecting "Single, cat" option (cat = catalytic converter).

THESE are the official part numbers for you engine and associated parts. Only BRP parts. Scarab parts don't come from this diagram. The part numbers are BRP parts (not Sea-Doo). Those are the correct numbers you need to order. You'll need to find a BRP dealer that can get these for you.

mattc10

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure, but it probably involves opening the tank and replacing the sensor. I don't think it's necessarily complicated but it might be labour intensive, depending on how hard it is to get to.

It looks like the fuel pump has a floater attached. Maybe that just needs to be replaced. This is from Scarabs' parts web page:

You could start with opening the floor panels to see if the fuel tank opening is easily accessible.

But, If you do get some indication, I would just let it go to half and then see how much fuel is left. That would give you a pretty good indication if waiting until half is reasonable.
I was looking for a replacement fuel pump for my boss's Scarab and came across this forum/post. This fuel pump assembly looks like the HFP-A382 or HFP-A3821M from this company Quantum Fuel systems. I'll follow up here when we figure out which one works.