• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 165 G Information & Tips

Alan I

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi all,
This is my first post and am happy to have found you! Very helpful information here, so thank you.

I just ordered one of the last 165 G’s available. The dealer told me Scarab has stopped production on all G entry levels for their lineup.

My biggest concerns about owning this boat are as follows:
1. Low speed maneuvering when I am putting it on and off my lift & fueling up at a station. How much trouble do owners have? My understanding is that the Scarab iNR allows for better low speed handling and allows you to idle with some steering capability. Does this really work? Since I am not getting the ID, I will not have the “docking” option that you can get on that model. How much practice does it take to get decent at this? Am I worrying about nothing, as in, it will come with some practice or is this really difficult and I can expect a lot of bumps and such for a while.
2. There is a lot of shallow water in Clearwater bay/harbor and surrounding area, including right at my own slip. I would love to use this boat outside the main channels to explore some spoil islands and such that are all around my area, but I am no longer planning to do that because reviewing posts here and other places, it looks like it just won’t work without sucking up sand and debris. T
This is my understanding about damaging the engine when it comes to shallows. I would welcome input to either confirm or correct my assumptions.

I should never start the engine in less than 3’ of water. True?
I can use it in shallow water, as little as 18 inches, but I have to be moving and should never idle. True?
If I use it in shallow water, 18 inches to 3 feet, as long as I am moving, it will be ok but at what speed? What is minimum speed without sucking up debris?

3. Given my concerns about shallows, I plan to purchase a depth sounder and the dealer recommended a Garmin model with GPS and daul beam transducer. But I will never be fishing and what I really need is a device that will be good traveling at speed and that I can set a warning if the water drops too low. What are others using for that purpose? (I read one thread on this from a few yrs ago and I did ask about installing Scarab’s model from the 165 ID but dealer said not worth the added expense)

Any help would most appreciated.
Alan

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi Alan,

I've now had my 165 G for 3+ years. 157h on it. If you want to learn about it in general, apparently others have found going through my post history quite useful (and probably entertaining! lol).

1. Low speed maneuvering is the BEST THING EVER with Scarabs. It's one of their strong suits. But, it does require practice. It will take you multiple outings to understand how it moves. But it ALWAYS turns in the direction of the steering wheel, even in neutral OR reverse (unlike a car). That takes some getting used to but when you do, it's amazingly useful, especially around docks with wind. It's amazing and makes heads turn around all over marinas. In fact, I've been approached on many occasions with "how did you do that?". I've also had people think I was about to collide with something... it's amazing. But, give yourself time to learn how to control it. Practice in open water. I don't have the iNR, so I can't comment on that part.

2. Sand is usually not a problem. It will just pump through. Bigger debris like pebbles, rocks, sticks, those are indeed a problem at times. So you have to be careful not to suck those up. Many times, it will just go through the pump and out the back. But if something gets stuck in there, it can be a pain and you can damage the impeller and/or ring. The dead spin trick is useful. Start accelerating, get a good wake going behind you, turn hard to port/starboard and as you start spinning, kill the engine. The boat will start to move backwards into the wake moving oposite to you and will get water flowing through the nozzle and OUT the grate. Thus pushing debris OUT of the pump. Do this multiple times in either direction before having to pull stuff out of the pump manually. It works quite well unless something is jammed. With that being said, I rarely have this problem. In 157h, I had something in there twice and only once did I get a stick jammed in there and had to pull it manually. No damage. ROPES ARE EVIL! BE WARNED! Under no circumstances should you have your engine running, including neutral when going over top of a rope. It is IMPERATIVE that you don't do this. Make sure your rope handler is VERY aware of this limitation. It can ruin your day. With all of this being said, don't be stupid in shallow water and you'll be fine. Light things like shells can be a problem since they are easily sucked up while in neutral (a little water tornado forms and sucks things up from the bottom). Things like pebbles aren't as a big of a problem because of their mass. Etc. Use logic. Staying still makes sucking things up worse in my opinion. I do very shallow water all the time... if you see debris in the water, try and stay away. But again, this has been a rare thing for me. Starting the engine can definitely be done in less than 3' of water. Again, use logic... what's the bottom made of? Shells? Pebbles? Sticks? Solid rock? If the latter, you can start it in super shallow water, if it's shells, I'd move to 3' or more. But again, I start the boat all the time in less than 2', but the bottom is mostly mud. No issues. The draft of your boat is 12". I would ensure not to go into waters that shallow. That's asking for trouble... .in any boat. 18", I'd be extremely careful... lol Sand bottom? You're probably fine... until you find that one rock in the sand... you know what I mean? I'd try and stay in 2' or deeper... speed definitely helps. On plane at a good pace, I have no way to measure but your draft is probably around 8"... but don't quote me on that. If you're debating that depth, it's time to move to deeper waters. lol Again, use logic here. Boats are not invincible. Moving and debris doesn't matter too much in deeper waters. It's just luck and avoiding debris in the first place. The pump is always pumping at any speed. But at neutral like I said before, it's easier to suck something up from the bottom. Debris floating in water doesn't really depend on speed much. It depends on you avoiding it.

3. I would seriously just consider getting the Scarab transducer. It's plug and play and easy to use on your dash. Assuming you aren't fishing with it. I don't think it's worth the trouble otherwise. I bought a SonarPhone transducer that does give me a sonar image, uses my phone as my display (or tablet, etc.). It's kind of cool, but a pain to install and the software is very annoying and keeps requiring that I enter passcodes each time I connect. So I'm not sure I recommend it. Doing it again, I'd buy the Scarab transducer. The plug is already there.

You'll probably get other responses, but at any point in time, if you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me. I do all my own maintenance, solved many little annoyances with the boat or at least know of them, etc. More than happy to help. 3+ years ago when I got my boat, very few 165 owners on here and little help available since the boat was new to everyone. You'll see some of this history in my posts. Be aware that I'm very happy with the boat even if you come across a lot of issues. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan I

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi Alan,

I've now had my 165 G for 3+ years. 157h on it. If you want to learn about it in general, apparently others have found going through my post history quite useful (and probably entertaining! lol).

1. Low speed maneuvering is the BEST THING EVER with Scarabs. It's one of their strong suits. But, it does require practice. It will take you multiple outings to understand how it moves. But it ALWAYS turns in the direction of the steering wheel, even in neutral OR reverse (unlike a car). That takes some getting used to but when you do, it's amazingly useful, especially around docks with wind. It's amazing and makes heads turn around all over marinas. In fact, I've been approached on many occasions with "how did you do that?". I've also had people think I was about to collide with something... it's amazing. But, give yourself time to learn how to control it. Practice in open water. I don't have the iNR, so I can't comment on that part.

2. Sand is usually not a problem. It will just pump through. Bigger debris like pebbles, rocks, sticks, those are indeed a problem at times. So you have to be careful not to suck those up. Many times, it will just go through the pump and out the back. But if something gets stuck in there, it can be a pain and you can damage the impeller and/or ring. The dead spin trick is useful. Start accelerating, get a good wake going behind you, turn hard to port/starboard and as you start spinning, kill the engine. The boat will start to move backwards into the wake moving oposite to you and will get water flowing through the nozzle and OUT the grate. Thus pushing debris OUT of the pump. Do this multiple times in either direction before having to pull stuff out of the pump manually. It works quite well unless something is jammed. With that being said, I rarely have this problem. In 157h, I had something in there twice and only once did I get a stick jammed in there and had to pull it manually. No damage. ROPES ARE EVIL! BE WARNED! Under no circumstances should you have your engine running, including neutral when going over top of a rope. It is IMPERATIVE that you don't do this. Make sure your rope handler is VERY aware of this limitation. It can ruin your day. With all of this being said, don't be stupid in shallow water and you'll be fine. Light things like shells can be a problem since they are easily sucked up while in neutral (a little water tornado forms and sucks things up from the bottom). Things like pebbles aren't as a big of a problem because of their mass. Etc. Use logic. Staying still makes sucking things up worse in my opinion. I do very shallow water all the time... if you see debris in the water, try and stay away. But again, this has been a rare thing for me. Starting the engine can definitely be done in less than 3' of water. Again, use logic... what's the bottom made of? Shells? Pebbles? Sticks? Solid rock? If the latter, you can start it in super shallow water, if it's shells, I'd move to 3' or more. But again, I start the boat all the time in less than 2', but the bottom is mostly mud. No issues. The draft of your boat is 12". I would ensure not to go into waters that shallow. That's asking for trouble... .in any boat. 18", I'd be extremely careful... lol Sand bottom? You're probably fine... until you find that one rock in the sand... you know what I mean? I'd try and stay in 2' or deeper... speed definitely helps. On plane at a good pace, I have no way to measure but your draft is probably around 8"... but don't quote me on that. If you're debating that depth, it's time to move to deeper waters. lol Again, use logic here. Boats are not invincible. Moving and debris doesn't matter too much in deeper waters. It's just luck and avoiding debris in the first place. The pump is always pumping at any speed. But at neutral like I said before, it's easier to suck something up from the bottom. Debris floating in water doesn't really depend on speed much. It depends on you avoiding it.

3. I would seriously just consider getting the Scarab transducer. It's plug and play and easy to use on your dash. Assuming you aren't fishing with it. I don't think it's worth the trouble otherwise. I bought a SonarPhone transducer that does give me a sonar image, uses my phone as my display (or tablet, etc.). It's kind of cool, but a pain to install and the software is very annoying and keeps requiring that I enter passcodes each time I connect. So I'm not sure I recommend it. Doing it again, I'd buy the Scarab transducer. The plug is already there.

You'll probably get other responses, but at any point in time, if you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me. I do all my own maintenance, solved many little annoyances with the boat or at least know of them, etc. More than happy to help. 3+ years ago when I got my boat, very few 165 owners on here and little help available since the boat was new to everyone. You'll see some of this history in my posts. Be aware that I'm very happy with the boat even if you come across a lot of issues. lol

***EDIT***
Here are various documents I've gathered over the years. Would be worth it for you to make your own copy on your own computer. You'll probably refer to these many times in the future. Scarab Shared - Google Drive
Wow! Thank you for taking the time for such detail. I have indeed read through many if not all of your posts and they are amazingly helpful. I have jotted down your info on GPH, range, etc because I will really need that as I get used to this boat.
Hi Alan,

***EDIT***
Here are various documents I've gathered over the years. Would be worth it for you to make your own copy on your own computer. You'll probably refer to these many times in the future. Scarab Shared - Google Drive
Wow! Thanks so much Luc for your thoughtful and detailed response. Yes, I have looked through your threads and found many helpful things especially your data on range, GPH, etc which will certainly come in handy when the boat arrives (mid September probably) I will go over your response a few more times but I get the gist of being intelligent about these things and that is why I appreciate the details about the difference between sand, debris, depth of water etc. Without owners like you giving me that data, there is no way I would really know what is truly a problem. I will download the docs and thanks for the offer for PM option

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I have no idea where Clearwater Bay/Harbor is, but a quick google maps search... Wisconsin? lol I'm in Ottawa, Ontario. If it is Wisconsin, you'll need to winterize of course. Something else to learn. Highly recommend doing this yourself, super easy and your initial investment on a few tools will allow you to save tons of money over the years. If you're willing to learn the basics. Highly recommend it. :)

Alan I

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
It’s actually on the Gulf coast of Florida
While people boat here all year round, I don’t plan to as I dont think I will enjoy it in colder weather (Dec thru March) on the 165 G given the lack of windshield and getting wet!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I hear ya. It is chilly when the temperatures drop. I boat down to about 10C, but that's my personal limit. Below that it starts to not be enjoyable anymore with the wind.

Nexus

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I'd just add that another way to clear debris is to put it into reverse, pick up speed, then throw it into forward while killing the engine. I've never tried Luc's 'dead spin' trick, but I'm gonna file it away for future use. I'll report back how well it works on a 195 if ever I need it. 😃
It may, or may not, be obvious but both methods attempt to get water through the jet in the wrong direction.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
@Nexus just to be clear (and to give credit where it is due), it's one of the popular dealers on the Facebook page that came up with that trick. The reverse trick you're mentioning is definitely workable, but it's more complex since you have to shift while simultaneously kill the engine. Tricky to do and you have to be quick. The dead spin trick is simpler and achieves the same thing as you've mentioned.

shiptoshore

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I have no idea where Clearwater Bay/Harbor is, but a quick google maps search... Wisconsin? lol I'm in Ottawa, Ontario. If it is Wisconsin, you'll need to winterize of course. Something else to learn. Highly recommend doing this yourself, super easy and your initial investment on a few tools will allow you to save tons of money over the years. If you're willing to learn the basics. Highly recommend it. :)
Good afternoon Luc, I have a 2016 Scarab 165 ho with factory tranducer(depth finder, etc) i am running around in Hatteras sound. Am curious if you know if I can connect a garmin chart system through the factory stuff...adapters or ?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Good afternoon Luc, I have a 2016 Scarab 165 ho with factory tranducer(depth finder, etc) i am running around in Hatteras sound. Am curious if you know if I can connect a garmin chart system through the factory stuff...adapters or ?
I have not heard or seen such a thing. I don't think so. But I'm not an expert there.