• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 165 throttle stuck 2019

Craig001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
No matter if its in neutral, forward or reverse the accelerator won't move at all when I pull the cable the boat will rev up no problem its just the shifter that is locked in place this didn't happen last year not sure how but its just stopped working now after sitting all winter

I have had a look inside and the previous owner must have done something 2 wires look like they have been joined together I've tried to take pictures but it's a really small space making it difficult. In the 2nd picture you can see the 2 wires that he joined together and the other photo with the blue and black wire which are just laying completely loose.

Any ideas how I can fix this help is very much appreciated Thank you

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
The locking mechanism isn't digital. It's a physical locking mechanism on the arm. Take the arms off, very easy. Four screws to remove the esthetic cover, then a few more for the main part. Then pull the whole thing up and out of the gunwale until you can see the mechanism. I recommend you use some rags to protect the boat finish from scratches while doing this.

Once it's out, you should be able to see the mechanism pretty clearly... I forget what it looks like. I opened mine up years ago. But you should be able to figure it out pretty quickly and if not, post a pic of the bottom of the arm levers and mechanisms and I can probably guide you further.

Craig001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Amazing thanks for the response will try that tomorrow couldn't get the screws out today to check that part. Any idea what the wires that have been cut going into it are for then?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Off hand, no. Could it be something like an old depth finder that was removed and the wires go further up to the gauge area? You may be able to see more once you pull the arms out of the boat.

Craig001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Managed to get some time today and not good news took the throttle assembly out of the boat but all of the screws holding it together are completely rusted in place snapped the heads off 2 trying to get them out with an impact driver got it with me going to try some more at home but looks like I might need to drill the screws out and then put new threads in the holes and use a slightly bigger bolt so that's going to be fun

Craig001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Yeah it's mostly been salt water use on this boat also kept outside in the winter so that probably doesn't help either

Craig001

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Will post this incase someone else has a similar problem fairly simple ball-bearing that goes into a hole on either forward or reverse allowing the accelerator to move it can't move in neutral because no hole

ball-bearing was all clogged up with old grease and dirt just needed a good clean

Also the wires that had been cut appear to be for detecting if the boat is in forward neutral or reverse must have something on the dash telling you I've never really noticed or before

Attachments