• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering cable end removal

Jbern58

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Calais
Boat Length
Hi all, Can anyone please tell me how to get this end off the cable? I need to remove it to replace it as it’s bent. I also need to remove it to replace the boot and wear ring/housing. This is on a 2005 Sugat Sand Calais GS if it makes any difference. Also, does anyone know where I can get thi part? Can’t seem to find it anywhere online. Thanks much in advance!4D221CD3-3C79-48D6-97AB-A8F330F4DB61.jpeg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would add a second nut on the bent part. Then use a clamp (and maybe a couple of pieces of metal, if your clamp jaws don't bridge the two nuts) to try to bring the bent part back into line, clamping onto the two nuts. That might unbend it enough to get the existing nut off...

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Depending on the age and condition of the rest of the cable, you may want to consider changing the whole cable out. It should be easier to source than piece parts of the assembly.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm going to take another perspective in answering at the risk of being way wrong, but I'll try it.... It sounds as if you think the threaded piece is attached to the cable in some way. Sadly the threads are embedded as part of the cable and machined to the cable itself. The "end" of the cable is not coming off. You can try to straighten in a vise/with heat as suggested to get it straight, but there is no cable "disassembly" to get the threaded part apart from the cable. it is the cable, just threaded at the end.

Jbern58

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Calais
Boat Length
I'm going to take another perspective in answering at the risk of being way wrong, but I'll try it.... It sounds as if you think the threaded piece is attached to the cable in some way. Sadly the threads are embedded as part of the cable and machined to the cable itself. The "end" of the cable is not coming off. You can try to straighten in a vise/with heat as suggested to get it straight, but there is no cable "disassembly" to get the threaded part apart from the cable. it is the cable, just threaded at the end.
Thank you all so much for your replies! Beachbummer, you hit the nail right on the head! I was thinking that threaded piece, nut, and “barb” where the boot goes was all one piece. Silly me. The previous owner clearly backed into something and bent this threaded end and the heim joint was all screwed up as well. The rest of the steering cable feels perfect/can spin steering wheel with pinky finger. I’ll try and thread a couple nuts on and straighten as Tdonoughue suggested. This is literally my second time in 39 years of ever posting a thread for help. I’m very greatful for you guys helping me out! Thanks again

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a cable snap at the threads, ages ago and was able to re-thread with a tap and reinstall to save the boating day! (I then used a coupling and a bolt at the end to restore the length to what I needed)

That cable was hardened and very strong, but must be somewhat brittle to have snapped.

If it works bent in your application , I'd leave it bent and change the cable when it wears. There is a chance it will be weaker as you straighten it, and more likely to break in the future.

Just something to consider as you work on it.

Jbern58

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Calais
Boat Length
I completely agree with you and something I gave thought to! The more you heat something and bend it around, the weaker it may become. I’d sure hate to lose the steering, that’s for darn sure. The previous owner clearly nailed a dock or something with the nozzle for it to have bent the threads and mash the heim joint all up and out of round. While I have you here, what else is there to go wrong with a steering cable other than it becoming very stiff (which I’ve experienced in other boats I’ve owned)? This one moves free as a lark. Thanks

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's it. the cable gets really tight. When they are old they may show more play on them. if it's smooth, no need to mess with it.

Jbern58

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Calais
Boat Length
And because everyone likes to share in a victory... propane torch, 2 vise grips and all my upper body strength and it looks pretty darn good!

Thanks so much again for everyone’s replies. I’d still be stuck without your guys help! Happy boating!

Attachments