• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tampa / St Pete / Clearwater

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I go out most weekends in this area, thought I would start a tread to meet new people & to share areas I have gone and hopefully learn of new areas to go. If anyone wants to know more information on any of the areas and boat ramps I use to get there let me know. I typically choose my area based on how much time I have that day, weather, winds and what I want to do. Most times I just take my boat to places you can only get to via boat and set up "camp" for the day having a few beers. If I'm making a quick day or winds are strong I tend to go to Beer Can Island (Pine Key) in Tampa Bay. If weather looks nice and I am planning a full day I tend to go to Caladesi Island, Johns Pass, Bounces Pass sand bar or shell key by Ft Desoto. I have also been to jew fish key, and looking to go to anchote key this weekend. If I am not camping out for the day I like to just cruise around to different bars/restaurants, I know of quite a few if your in the Tampa Bay, but I am still learning what bars / restaurants I can get to go to in the St Pete / Clearwater area that have nice docks.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I go out most weekends in this area, thought I would start a tread to meet new people & to share areas I have gone and hopefully learn of new areas to go. If anyone wants to know more information on any of the areas and boat ramps I use to get there let me know. I typically choose my area based on how much time I have that day, weather, winds and what I want to do. Most times I just take my boat to places you can only get to via boat and set up "camp" for the day having a few beers. If I'm making a quick day or winds are strong I tend to go to Beer Can Island (Pine Key) in Tampa Bay. If weather looks nice and I am planning a full day I tend to go to Caladesi Island, Johns Pass, Bounces Pass sand bar or shell key by Ft Desoto. I have also been to jew fish key, and looking to go to anchote key this weekend. If I am not camping out for the day I like to just cruise around to different bars/restaurants, I know of quite a few if your in the Tampa Bay, but I am still learning what bars / restaurants I can get to go to in the St Pete / Clearwater area that have nice docks.
Be cautious of the Anclote River ramp. It is very small, 2ish ramps, and has a roughly 20+mph current that runs perpendicular to the docks. Also, the docks are aluminum, so when you bounce off of them, you will scratch your hull (I did). Anclote key is very nice and the stilt houses 10 miles north of the island is cool to see if you have never seen them. We really enjoyed dragging the boat up there for the day, but trying to get a dock at the ramp to get your car took us almost 30 minutes, then needed to wait in the line for at least that long again to get the boat out. We wanted to dock at one of the resturants, but when we called they were already at max capacity for the docks, and no trailer parking available onsite.

We drug the boat and launched at Fort Desoto Boat Ramp ($6) Saturday and went to Egmont Key for a few hours, took the boat out and went to Billys Stonecrab and Seafood House on our way home. Pretty good :winkingthumbsup"

Anclote River Boar Ramp
1659983527634.png

Stilt Houses
1659983764626.png

Anchored at Anclote Key
1659983795714.png

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
We like to trailer the boat down to the Manatee River and dock at Whiskey Joe's or Woody's for some outdoor drinks and to people watch.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Good to know @Thermobrett I was planning on putting in at seminal boat ramp to go to Anclote Key its only about 18 miles from there. Obviously weather dependent to do that hike. If you ever put in at Bay Pines ramp its normally pretty empty and there is a Publix and McDonalds right around the corner on the water. You can tie your boat up and get Pub Subs!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Good to know @Thermobrett I was planning on putting in at seminal boat ramp to go to Anclote Key its only about 18 miles from there. Obviously weather dependent to do that hike. If you ever put in at Bay Pines ramp its normally pretty empty and there is a Publix and McDonalds right around the corner on the water. You can tie your boat up and get Pub Subs!
Thanks @MrBubbaGump last and only time I ever saw a McDonalds on the water was at Indian Lake in Ohio (25+ yes ago). You could foot bridge it from the “mainland” or do the drive thru by boat. Innovative at the time, but hard to replicate.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Anclote park is a shit show for sure. We (in the pontoon since i sold the jet boat) go out to Anclote island, 3 Rooker and Honeymoon. Tons of jet boats out there. Should be out this weekend with a few other boats.

HernandoBeach

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Sportster
Boat Length
I've been to the Anclote sandbar from Hernando Beach. Took about an hour boat ride going around 25 mph. There is an area called the Flats here in Hernando Beach that gets a lot of boat traffic and is a short ride from the boat launch. Not as nice as the sandbar but a lot closer for me.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I launch out of Bay Pines several times a week. John's Pass is our go to Sandbar. Occasionally will make the trip north to 3 Rooker from Bellair Causeway Boat Ramp. Anclote is just a bit to far, about an hour boat ride from Bellair taking the gulf.

Rarely make it Shell Key or Bunces, if I can catch a <5mph east wind I will make a trip down to Eggmont.

The flats at Hernando is nice, but that is some tricky water to navigate. Very narrow channel with shallow rocky waters.

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last time we went to went to Bunces we were fairly new and got our butts kicked between the wind/waves. I'd maybe consider going again but gotta figure out the best weather patterns to do so. Beer Can is our usual go-to, real easy to get to from our marina in Ruskin. Every so often we'll jaunt out of the bay to Longboat Key, but haven't gone north along the Intracoastal. Also been kicking around the idea of checking out the rivers, may do that sometime this summer too. Definitely don't take enough advantage of boat time though, we go out maybe twice a month.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@adrianp89 We were just talking a few min ago, based on the weather this weekend we are thinking about doing the launch out of Bay Pines and go to John's Pass Saturday.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@adrianp89 We were just talking a few min ago, based on the weather this weekend we are thinking about doing the launch out of Bay Pines and go to John's Pass Saturday.
Bsy Pines has been pretty mild of late. At the start of season it's insane, but this is kinda off-season right now. You may see the 195 out, I have it booked all weekend and I am running a charter on Sunday.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You guys should check out the sandbar(s) at Weedon Island. The main one is about half a mile long and usually filled with boats every weekend. Best part, it's well protect from wind.

1660157782417.png

1660157741323.png

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You guys should check out the sandbar(s) at Weedon Island. The main one is about half a mile long and usually filled with boats every weekend. Best part, it's well protect from wind.

View attachment 185074

View attachment 185073
We went tubing up in Riviera Bay, nice little spot. Tried convincing the crew to go back, we'll see when that happens. That bend around Tanglewood at full speed is a real puckerer, feels like an F1 turn lol. I'm surprised that whole area isn't no-wake.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would think the water quality is crap over there. I would give it a chance if there were any decent ramps on the east side of the county. They all have like 10 parking spots.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We went tubing up in Riviera Bay, nice little spot. Tried convincing the crew to go back, we'll see when that happens. That bend around Tanglewood at full speed is a real puckerer, feels like an F1 turn lol. I'm surprised that whole area isn't no-wake.
That bend is fun but I try to avoid it and cut across just out of the no wake signs (about where the green arrow lies). Typically not an issue with our boats.

We bring our dogs to a sandbar up little further up. Lots of fun.

Riv Bay is perfect for water sports. Lots of fun there.

Last edited:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I

I've heard of that area, how is the water quality... Anywhere to set up a canopy?
Water is not the best like most of Northern Tampa Bay.

Not a good place for a canopy. Sandbars only appear at very low tides. Otherwise, they're usually under a couple inches of water. Lots of boat and sites though. Memorial and Labor Day brings tons of boats; typically around 600. Fun...

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We'll be staying on Anna Maria Island next week in a house with a dock/lift, so we'll do all out boating out of there. We've been to the area before but only went out for the day to Passage Key (beautiful place and the nudists were very friendly).

Planning on going back to Passage Key, checking out Egmont Key, Fort Desoto Park/Beach, Shell Key, etc. Was considering making a run up to Three Rooker Island or Anclote Key one day as pictures look great. Might also try to go down to Sand Dollar Island off Siesta Key. All depends on weather and how everyone's feeling.

I've also heard good things about Beer Can Island, but from pictures the water usually looks like coffee. Is that the normal water condition there?

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We'll be staying on Anna Maria Island next week in a house with a dock/lift, so we'll do all out boating out of there. We've been to the area before but only went out for the day to Passage Key (beautiful place and the nudists were very friendly).

Planning on going back to Passage Key, checking out Egmont Key, Fort Desoto Park/Beach, Shell Key, etc. Was considering making a run up to Three Rooker Island or Anclote Key one day as pictures look great. Might also try to go down to Sand Dollar Island off Siesta Key. All depends on weather and how everyone's feeling.

I've also heard good things about Beer Can Island, but from pictures the water usually looks like coffee. Is that the normal water condition there?
So beer can can be one of those places where you have very nice water (for a bay) or it is absolutely terrible… If there is any red tide in the area stay clear. I have seen both on many occasions probably has to do with time of year / wind direction but honestly I haven’t paid enough attention when I go to really know. If it’s bad I just bar hope from downtown Tampa to whiskey joes on the other side of the peninsula around Macdill.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
This is beer can a couple weeks back.
735F0280-E2EF-49FF-BD2C-F07B27F73008.jpeg