• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

The Vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yeah buddy! Now we just need folks to do it. I'm sure everyone will do their part to make sure we end this pandemic. Oh. Wait. Darn it.

52D18762-BF88-4E0D-85FD-4F8AF9C62A5B.jpeg

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really started this thread as a way to share our vaccine experiences. I'm an outside sales guy so I come in contact with a lot of people, and get to share many stories. It seems there are so many variations to the reactions from different people. I myself had a reaction to both doses, but the relatable part of that is I had sever Covid in Dec that lasted almost 2 weeks. I have type A+ blood. Another thing that has me curious about why I had such bad Covid and also a more severe reaction to the vaccine is I naturally have a low white blood cell count. It was discovered by a flight surgeon at Portsmouth Naval Hospital back in 1995. The thought I had bone cancer after repeatedly testing my blood. To make sure they did a bone marrow biopsy on me, which was one of the most painful things I have ever had done. (When the Dr. says bear down cause this is gonna hurt......they aren't kidding). So after it was all said and done, the Dr. says well, you're just one of the ones that brings the normal range down and you will always have a low white blood cell count. To this day during yearly physicals it still shows up lower than the "in range" numbers.

I really didn't want this thread to turn in to a big vaccine debate. Just an outlet to share stories of where to get it, how you felt afterwards, etc....And maybe, if someone was on the fence about getting it, they would change their mind and just do it.

Hey, if you don't want to get it....by all means don't. I also believe most people on this forum are smart enough to read through what information posted is legit and not legit, so I'm not going to battle what sources cited are bunk and not bunk.

About 5 pages back someone tried to relate Covid to alcohol and drunk driving deaths. I can't remember exactly the context and I'm too lazy to go back and find it to reply directly to it, but I can say this, I agree DUIs are a communicable way to die, and I will go out of my way to take the keys away from someone who has had too much to drink and either drive them home or find them an Uber. I can't count on 2 hands how many times my wife and I have left our car in Denton because we had too much fun and we Ubered home at the end of the night. I feel like that is what some are trying to do on this thread right now in their own way.....their just trying to offer someone a ride home to protect themselves and the rest of us out there.

Ya'll please be civil on this thing. In the words of Michael Franti one of my favorite artists, "Work Hard and Be Nice to People"

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just a personal experience here. Both my parents and my grandma just got covid last week. Mild symptoms. I can only b thankful to God that they were vaccinated. They live in Colombia where it is really hard to get the shot and ICU beds are all at capacity. People dying at an alarming rate.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bilmon

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Well, got my 2nd Moderna shot 24hrs ago. Slight arm pain seems to be the extent of it, probably won't notice any more pains if they were there. At my age I've already got em. Now just have to get to work on my aluminum foil Cloak of Invisibility so Gates can't find me

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had my first dose of Moderna in January and second in February. Both doses were from partially used vials after dosing nursing home patients that risked being wasted.

I felt weak for a few days after both doses. I had chills for less than an hour the day after the second. Despite feeling weak I continued to be able to carry my 145 pound non ambulant son.

I am glad to have been vaccinated. My only regret is that my favorite aunt caught the virus a week or so before being eligible for vaccination and died after three weeks in the hospital.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I had my first dose of Moderna in January and second in February. Both doses were from partially used vials after dosing nursing home patients that risked being wasted.

I felt weak for a few days after both doses. I had chills for less than an hour the day after the second. Despite feeling weak I continued to be able to carry my 145 pound non ambulant son.

I am glad to have been vaccinated. My only regret is that my favorite aunt caught the virus a week or so before being eligible for vaccination and died after three weeks in the hospital.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Bruce.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm so sorry for your loss, Bruce.
Thank you. She really was an amazing person and is greatly missed.

But my experience is nothing compared to yours. Thank you for helping so many.

Showing how unpredictable this virus is, her husband who is near 80, obese, diabetic and has a history of cardiac arrhythmia recovered at home while she being a few years younger, healthy, walking a few miles each day and having retired from a title company a few months earlier died in a hospice after three weeks in the hospital.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to hear dude. That sucks. It truly is Russian Roulette with this thing. My good friend and colleague was about 6 years older than me, full head of hair, normal weight and no health issues, was on a ventilator for 16 days and then passed away. It was devastating. I got the news he passed on day 2 of my Covid infection and it really set me in a bad mental state.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BigN8, glad you recovered. That would have been terribly depressing news while you were fighting your own infection.

My youngest brother in his late 30s caught SARS-CoV-2 with a very early diagnosis. His son tested positive. His wife works at a biotech with PCR equipment that wanted data on cycle counts during the illness. They tested the entire family every other day. My brother was able to receive monoclonal antibodies three days after his initial positive. He had started to develop CoVID-19 symptoms the day that he received the antibodies. Those ceased within 24 hours. Despite his seemingly mild illness he has continued to have weakness, cold spells and even issues with blood sugar months later. I just got off the phone with him and was shocked by how congested he was.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@BigN8, glad you recovered. That would have been terribly depressing news while you were fighting your own infection.

My youngest brother in his late 30s caught SARS-CoV-2 with a very early diagnosis. His son tested positive. His wife works at a biotech with PCR equipment that wanted data on cycle counts during the illness. They tested the entire family every other day. My brother was able to receive monoclonal antibodies three days after his initial positive. He had started to develop CoVID-19 symptoms the day that he received the antibodies. Those ceased within 24 hours. Despite his seemingly mild illness he has continued to have weakness, cold spells and even issues with blood sugar months later. I just got off the phone with him and was shocked by how congested he was.
did he get vaccinated? Some reports that long term symptoms improve after vaccine.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I respect anyone's personal decision to either get or not get the vaccines. Not something that can be dictated one way or another, imho.
That being said, in my specific scenario, I have neutropenia (low WBC) due to some meds I'm currently on so given that, and my hematologist's recommendation that I go ahead and snag the vaccine (I trust him implicitly and he has no political bent one way or another in his practice thankfully), I pulled the trigger on Pfizer #1 exactly three weeks ago with a charlie horse and some lethargy for about 24-48 hours post that was it). This afternoon I get Pfizer #2 so we'll see how it goes.

Figure as long as I don't walk out after the 15m observation period looking like this, I should be gtg. 😁
1618930952580.png

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I respect anyone's personal decision to either get or not get the vaccines. Not something that can be dictated one way or another, imho.
That being said, in my specific scenario, I have neutropenia (low WBC) due to some meds I'm currently on so given that, and my hematologist's recommendation that I go ahead and snag the vaccine (I trust him implicitly and he has no political bent one way or another in his practice thankfully), I pulled the trigger on Pfizer #1 exactly three weeks ago with a charlie horse and some lethargy for about 24-48 hours post that was it). This afternoon I get Pfizer #2 so we'll see how it goes.

Figure as long as I don't walk out after the 15m observation period looking like this, I should be gtg. 😁
View attachment 147460
oh wow. As a kid, this scene haunted me. haha

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
did he get vaccinated? Some reports that long term symptoms improve after vaccine.
I have discussed this with him and hope he will soon. His wife is vaccinated. He was told not to get vaccinated for a certain time period after having the antibodies and he has a potential allergy concern with the mRNA vaccines.

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have discussed this with him and hope he will soon. His wife is vaccinated. He was told not to get vaccinated for a certain time period after having the antibodies and he has a potential allergy concern with the mRNA vaccines.
Current recommendations are to wait 90 days after receiving monoclonal antibodies.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes. 90 days. I'm not sure when he was infected. I may have missed that. And fair concern also if there is an allergy concern. Best wishes.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Got my second shot today over at my alma mater.

They’re still having volleyball practice despite this being a mass vaccination site.

And there’s an ultrasound on the big screen!

There was unfortunately not a Curtain of Distraction when I took the shot.

2F334AC1-5C98-41AA-8A4C-0FBC9211B392.jpeg

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1st shot Pizer early April-no symptoms
2nd shot (took Motrin) next day arm sore, got chills and 101 degree low grade fever, 2nd day symptoms gone but had 12 hours of tachycardia 100 bpm (my resting is 55-62)

I was hesitant about taking the vaccine because I felt that the masks and social distancing was working. I have never felt better (no colds or flu) for so long in my life.

Lawman25

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I got my first dose of Pfizer March 13th at a VA hospital in the Chicago area, my second dose was April 3rd. After reading some other comments in this thread, I want to preface this by saying this vaccine should be a choice. If you want to get it great, if not, that's ok too, and nobody should have their rights taken away if they choose not to, like traveling or attending sporting events. I have a nephew with Cystic Fibrosis who I haven't been able to see for a year because of this virus, after discussing with my sister, his mom, who is also a doctor, I decided to get the vaccine so I could see my nephew. Otherwise, I would have never gotten it. I'm young and healthy, I'm not at all worried about Covid. Also, I'm a police officer, I'm around a lot of strangers everyday, and during this past year I've never gotten Covid, never been sick at all.
Now to the side-effects- About 5 hours after getting my first dose I got a headache. Day 2 I had body aches, soreness around the injection site, fatigue, and a 102 degree fever. By day 3 the fever had gone away but headache, body aches, and fatigue remained. To sum it up, in the 3 weeks from the first dose to my second, there were maybe 4 days I felt normal. 3 days before my second dose I got a horrible head cold and upper-respiratory tract infection. I was miserable. I started a Z pack(nice to have a sister that is a doctor and can just call in whatever you want) the day before my second dose. I have taken Z packs before and never not felt completely fine after 3 days of starting, my wife generally has to remind me I still have to take the remaining doses. It's been 3 weeks since that head cold, respiratory infection began, and I still don't feel 100%. I've never in my life had the flu or anything else that my body didn't just beat on it's own or with antibiotics within 4 days.
Back to the specifics of the second dose- this time around I took low-dose aspirin, vitamin-c, vitamin-d, zinc, and hydrated like I was back in Iraq beforehand and afterwards. Other than the existing symptoms I was just talking about, nothing on the day of the injection. Day 2 the aches and fatigue kicked in, and of course injection site soreness. I had this really strange soreness in my right hand fingers. It felt like they were swollen but they weren't. After a week the soreness and aches went away, but the fatigue remained. Now, 2 1/2 weeks post second dose I am back to my normal energy levels.
So, that's my experience. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't get it, not after what I went through, it's not worth it for a virus I have over a 99% chance of surviving if I did get it. Not to mention, I still have to wear a mask and do all the other bullshit I had to before I got the vaccine. Lastly, last week the CEO of Pfizer said it's highly likely a booster shot will be needed in the future, like the 12 month range. They just keep moving the goalposts

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Lawman25, glad you have stayed healthy while serving your community. Thank you for that service.

Clearly you have not seen what it is like to die of CoVID. I had some similar symptoms with vaccination but would be happy to take it over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.