• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tired of sucking up debris!

Jessica

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Hey everyone!! My husband and I purchased a 2016 vortex 203 in March and are super frustrated with our experience so far. We keep our boat docked at an inlet off the river and are 3 for 3 with getting debris sucked in before we even get our trips started. Once we were able to 'rev' it out, but the other two we had to take the boat out and take apart the jet drive to remove it. We have been told by so many that this rarely happens, but we are 3 for 3, so clearly somethings going on! Any advice!? We are beyond frustrated and just want to enjoy our boat!

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In 9 seasons we've had to pull out various items. We have cleanout plugs with the Yamaha though, so you get it out and move on. It's hard for anybody to say how often it will happen in a given body of water. Too many variables.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not having the clean out ports has got to be rough. We boat on a river also, but the clean outs help solve debris issues quickly while on the water.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Is your inlet or river full of junk or what?
I have only had issues once and that was on Lake Cumberland after it hit new high's after they had all time lows fixing the dam. I had to pull my cleanouts about 7 times in 4 days. Without cleanouts, it means you're getting it from the grate or from the rear.
As far as keeping the stuff from getting in there, it all depends on what it is!
Being on plane is usually better for keeping the junk out. Going slow or no wake mode lets it all get sucked in.

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
You are definitely unlucky and/or your are boating in an area with lots of floating debris.
In more than 10 years of boating with Sea-Doo JetBoat, I probably suffered from getting debris in the pump a handful of time, and some of them where my own faults (showing off in real shallow water).

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds like the debris is get hung up on the grate below your boat while it sits in the water. I don't know what to suggest to fix that other than an expensive lift. Swimming under the boat to clear debris at the marina would be dangerous as several people per year die of electrocution from current in the water at marinas.

We boat on the Ohio River near Cincinnati. It can get really clogged with debris after a heavy rain. We would have sold our boat long ago if it didn't have clean out ports.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Jessica My first three trips out on my Yamaha I had the same experience and sucked items up I became frustrated as well and quickly wondered if I had made a mistake. I was able to clear two of the three times with the reverse trick which is to power up in reverse the kill the engines to let what ever was stuck break free. My situations all came from three different locations so its a little different then yours. If all of yours are occurring at the same location I would say the same as someone mention above you could be starting your trip with something stuck already. When you first turn the boat on are you in a shallow area and do you guys leave it tied up with the engine on during this time at the dock at all? If so make sure to be untied and ready to leave before starting the engine as these boats will suck up what ever is around if just sitting there. If this is not the case are you picking something up in the same area each time if so I would try to avoid that area if not possible I would try to clear that area at a little higher speed then you have been I know that may sound the opposite of what you want to do but give it a try. Best of luck and if you cant get it figured out let us know what area you are in I'm sure there is a member probably near you that maybe will to help you two figure out whats going wrong.

Jessica

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone! We boat in the delaware river and keep out boat docked at an inlet marina. There is quite a bit of debris, and it hasn't gone many days without storming. We don't keep it running ever because it doesn't sit still when on, so he basically turns it on and we back up out of the slip. We are in a no-wake zone from there until we get out of the inlet (5-7min). A neighbor at the marina has the same boat and said it has happened to him twice, but he was able to blow it out both times using the same methods we've tried. We are going to look into the reverse method that you guys mention. Right now we plan to just keep it out of the water and put it in and out whenever we want to take it....which is a lovely waste of the 1400 we spent for a wet slip :(.

Jessica

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
The last piece that my husband pulled out was a piece of bark from a tree, maybe 1" wide by 3" long. He's going today to get out whatever got sucked in Saturday. He couldn't see anything in there when we pulled it out.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there any way to get someone to tow you out to where you can run the boat? The only time i suck debris is in the no wake areas. That way you can at least get to give it a shakedown run and hopefully lose the buyers remorse.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jessica, Lake Hamilton which I live on is fed by many tributaries. In the spring the rains wash through yards and wooded areas filling the lake with debris. This makes it difficult to boat early in the year.

Yesterday we started the day off boating on nearby Lake Ouachita where we boated more than 30 miles without a single issue with debris.

Then in the evening we transitioned to Lake Hamilton for fireworks. On the way to the fireworks I dodged several debris fields but still experienced cavitation which freed itself twice. On the way home in the dark I could not see the debris. We experienced cavitation at least four times. Twice I had to stop and use the clean out plugs.

Later in the year the debris will wash through Lake Hamilton or sink and I expect to be able to boat without issue. I also find that busy weekends on the lake cause more debris to wash from the banks to middle. On the positive side all those props chew up the debris helping them dissipate.

Jessica

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks for the feedback everyone. We understood that Yamaha is the only one that has the cleanout. We chose Chaparral for other reasons, although we do wish we had that feature. We are going to keep it out of the slip for now and see if we can avoid the issue by putting the boat in and out every time. Not exactly what we had in mind, but may save us the headaches. We'll also try the reverse method people mention.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I had something bad suck up today, and all the usual methods didn't clear. Reverse trick/shut off - worked like a charm. First time I've ever had to do that, but it worked well.

Jessica

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I had something bad suck up today, and all the usual methods didn't clear. Reverse trick/shut off - worked like a charm. First time I've ever had to do that, but it worked well.
Interesting!! I'm just hoping this works similarly with the Chaparral we own!?! It seems most users are Yamaha owners.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@veedubtek has a Seadoo boat so its the same set up as the Chap.

The Budnick's

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't understand how the reverse/shut off method works. All reverse does is lower buckets in front of the jets to push the stream in the opposite direction, the impellers don't turn backwards. I would think that just blasting forward would do the same thing.

BMF JK

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I don't understand how the reverse/shut off method works. All reverse does is lower buckets in front of the jets to push the stream in the opposite direction, the impellers don't turn backwards. I would think that just blasting forward would do the same thing.
After you kill the engine throw the throttle forward , which will lift the buckets . This will cause the water to flow backwards through the jet pump .

Last edited:

Jessica

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
@The Budnick's -- my husband doesn't either, and feels like theres no way that's going to help (even though a dozen people here say that it will :p). In this past case I guess it wouldn't have, because he found the smallest piece of thick, hard plastic wedged in between the blade (?) and the side that he had to force out with a tool... I mean seriously!?! Just our luck...don't even know how that happened.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard @Jessica and @The Budnick's ! Being a new boat owner can be a host of emotion, from over zealous to total frustration. Boating when debris or grass is present will pose issues to any boat, not just a jet boat. But the kind of debris, and speed at which you transition, have a lot to do with how you have to deal with it. I am curious, is the water in your river brackish? Any boat with a small jet drive like those in your Chap, or any of the family open bow size jet boats, will not fair well being moored on an ongoing basis in water with any salt content. Any enclosed mooring, like a slip/dock/pier, will trap debris between the boat and mooring, and it is always a good idea to try to watch to see what your conditions trap, and either find a way to prevent it, or clear it before you move.

The "Reverse Move" described above is leaving out one very crucial step. You have to do all three of the moves at the same time. And the setup is critical. Get your boat going backward as fast as you can safely do so. It is this backward movement that flows through the nozzle and washes away grass and "non lodged" debris out of the intakes. But with a very flat transom, the boat will stop quickly so you must do all the steps at once, not one at a time. So once moving as fast backward safely, you do these...
Kill the engines AND move the throttles full forward, to raise the reverse gates that block the flow of water from moving back forward into the pump and out through the intakes. @Jessica , @The Budnick's is right, hard plastic or anything that jams into the pump and lodges between the blade and the liner, will require more to remove it. Foreign objects and driftwood, bark, etc. have a bigger impact of jamming. The reverse move is more for clearing loose grassy debris, but I have driven into floating debris and seen it just as I ran into it. I have killed my engines and drifted to a stop, started again and done the reverse move, just as insurance. If you kill the engines, and move into neutral, you may not lock up your engines. If your starting out with debris in your intake before you even get away from the slip, then the problem is hard to overcome. Have you guys looked into a lift for the slip? They are expensive, but it could solve much of the issues you face, especially if your in brackish water, because it will just quickly devalue and damage your boat prematurely. I know your engines are set up differently than the Yamaha's, so your cooling system may not affect your engine/exhaust, but it will still affect pump performance if subjected to that kind of water weeks at a time or longer. Everything we do in life is a compromise, I hope you guys can find the ones that fit you the best!

Last edited:

Jessica

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Thanks so much @txav8r!!! I really appreciate your feedback and thoughts on the matter. We are in somewhat brackish water, and have heard mixed things about leaving out jet boat in it. We have a slip neighbor with the exact same boat and has had the same thing happen to him twice, but he was able to push it out each time. He hasn't seemed concerned about it like we are. A lift wouldn't be practical for us money-wise, I'd sooner change marinas then consider that for myself. I'm hoping as the weather calms down that things get better overall. You are right about the swift switch in emotions, and I hope we can find a happy balance as well! We do really love our new boat!