• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing an empty trailer long distances

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hi guys. Best friend of mine just bought a 2009 Sea Doo GTX, but it didn’t come with a trailer. We’ve been looking in the classifieds but with covid, we’ve had no luck.

there’s a place about 2 hours from us selling new trailers for those skis but I’m worried about the trip. It’s about 150 miles. We can take highways, or back roads, about the same distance. Will we have problems towing an empty trailer for that long?

blamphere

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I had to tow an empty 20’ trailer from VT to Key West. It was bouncing all over the place. Quick and easy fix was to duct tape tube sand bags to the bunks. I only added a few hundred pounds but it made a world of difference

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Single axel, single ski trailer? If so, I would recommend you try a weigh it down with anything you can. Take the drive nice and easy, it's going to be a little squirrely without the weight.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Single axel, single ski trailer? If so, I would recommend you try a weigh it down with anything you can. Take the drive nice and easy, it's going to be a little squirrely without the weight.
Yes, sorry. forgot to clarify. Single axle jet ski trailer. Sandbag tubes might work. Plenty of sand here..

JBehrens

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ya, a single is going to want to walk without a ski. A sheet of plywood or OSB can be attached to the bunks to help strap sand bags. Depending on how much weight and the trailer, you might be able to get to highway speeds but I would plan on going slower to be safe.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I pulled my 24' trailer empty about 300 miles last year from Lake Tahoe to the Central Valley and back. it towed great...the problem was that it's only about 900 pounds and it was easy to forget it was back there.