• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer brakes on new AR 240

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How well do the brakes work with only having brakes on one axle?

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
PA requires that you have brakes on both axles. I had to have the second set added at additional cost. I think it was $500 but not 100% sure on that.

(I've since moved to MD)

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Tell them to give it to you at cost, I think that was the deal I got. You can also call other dealers and get quotes. I got my boat from Beacon Light Marina in Baltimore. Ask for Mike or Chris.

dancathy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How well do the brakes work with only having brakes on one axle?
If they are not required to have them on both axles in your state then don't waste your money. The brakes work very well on one axle.

Strassenfest

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I guess I got lucky, mine came with brakes on both axles at no extra cost to me. Not even sure that the dealer knew it had them.

Didn't come with a fire extinguisher though, $35 dollars later... I'll take the free brakes!!

Last edited:

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
better safe than sorry, but when it comes to hydraulic trailer brakes... having both axles w/ brakes on them won't really buy you much. In fact it might be a detriment in some cases (like exacerbated slow starts when coming out of a stop and excessive heat when going down a canyon). Take the hydraulic component of the brakes and replace it with electric and then there are REALLY good reasons to have both axles with brakes. If your tow vehicle is not on the heavier side toward the rear axle, that extra braking control can go a really long way.

I had both axles of my Cobalt w/ electric brakes and it really helped me out when I would fill the boat full of all the excursion gear (coolers, food, bags, etc) when going on 2-week trips. The extra boat weight before the second set of brakes could sometimes push my truck a little past my point of comfort.

I only have one axle w/ brakes on it for my 242LS, since my 242LS is so much lighter than my Cobalt was it's really not that big of a deal if I put 800-1200lbs of crap in the boat on the way to my destination.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which axle has the brakes as standard equipment? The front or the back?

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
better safe than sorry, but when it comes to hydraulic trailer brakes... having both axles w/ brakes on them won't really buy you much. In fact it might be a detriment in some cases (like exacerbated slow starts when coming out of a stop and excessive heat when going down a canyon). Take the hydraulic component of the brakes and replace it with electric and then there are REALLY good reasons to have both axles with brakes. If your tow vehicle is not on the heavier side toward the rear axle, that extra braking control can go a really long way.

I had both axles of my Cobalt w/ electric brakes and it really helped me out when I would fill the boat full of all the excursion gear (coolers, food, bags, etc) when going on 2-week trips. The extra boat weight before the second set of brakes could sometimes push my truck a little past my point of comfort.

I only have one axle w/ brakes on it for my 242LS, since my 242LS is so much lighter than my Cobalt was it's really not that big of a deal if I put 800-1200lbs of crap in the boat on the way to my destination.
I've towed thousands of miles with my dual trailer brakes, from MD to FL and back, as well a couple mult-hour (4+) trips for the last 2 years. I've yet to have any issues with overheating or sticking.

My 4 hour trip to Deep Creek was up and down some crazy grades where I could only go 40 mph up or down. No smoke or smells or anything back there.

I will say that my truck borders on towing cap for this boat (6000 lbs limit), so the extra set of brakes gives me piece of mind and they seem to work well when I have the truck loaded. Never had problems stopping or any real close calls that I can think of.

Also, I dont think the PA dealer can sell a trailer that wont pass inspection. I'm pretty sure PA requires brakes on both axles.

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/subchapGtoc.html

(6) A vehicle to which additional axles and wheels have been added shall be equipped with brakes on the additional wheels.
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/pennsylvania-trailer-towing-laws-61525.html

Brakes
Any trailer being towed in the state of Pennsylvania must be equipped with a fully functioning brake system. The brakes must apply to all four wheels. When the brakes are applied, the trailer must stop within a certain distance. Trailers weighing more than 3,000 pounds must have a breakaway system. Trailers with extra wheels must have a brake system on each extra wheel.

Strassenfest

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
They go on the front axle due to the way the equalizer suspension works.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My dealer told me the cost of the extra brakes was in the MSRP so he took $500 off because my state doesn't require brakes on both axles.