• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trim tabs and underwater seats

Rickey DeLaigle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have a 2023 AR-250. Currently have an issue with mounting the trim tabs.. Short story I spoke with Russ after reading how he is the man on trim tab, he sent me a 9x16 kit, issue is the underwater seat mount, the actuator seems to want to mount where the underwater seat goes. I have been unsuccessful at finding information on this, has anyone did this install if so what was the answer? Thank everyone, have a wonder morning, evening or night.
Also where is everyone mount the ALC-1

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I just installed Lectrotabs on my '22 275SD a couple months ago and worked with Russ. He is a great guy and very helpful.

I also have the swim-up seats on my boat. After I got around several challenges finding the best placement to mount my tabs, my actuators ended up being mounted to the outside of the swim-up seat mounts and they did not interfere at all.

One thing for sure is the Yamaha boats are more of a challenge to install trim tabs than other manufacturers. I ended up going with heavy duty stainless steel 10 x 14 tabs and I had several challenges to overcome on my installation. I did a cardboard mock up before I ordered the tabs but that still didn't reveal the challenges I was going to have with the installation.

One concern was my boat was being rack stored so I had to worry about them being free and clear of the lift when the forks were placed under the boat to lift it in and out of the water. The next concern was the tie down straps. I was never going to trailer the boat but I bought it out of state and had to drive it 1200 miles to get it home and I was installing the trim tabs before doing that because I had access to an inside shop for a few weeks so I had to be able to use tie down straps for one trip on the trailer.

My biggest challenge is the 275SD comes with underwater lights and the lights mounted on the transom were a major issue. If I mounted the tabs to the outside of the lights, the edges were too far out by the chines. I was also worried about the forklift, the tie down straps would not be able to be used and I was worried the tabs would work properly being so close to the chines.

I also found another major problem when I positioned the tabs outward on the transom because of the way the transom and swim platform is shaped. When I started moving the tabs further out from the pump, the actuator had to mount in such a way that it was almost parallel to the tab to have the recommended upward angle necessary on the trailing edge (~1/2" from the bottom of the transom) when fully retracted. I was worried the actuators were going to have a problem extending and retracting because there were not at the angle so they would actually "push" downwards on the tabs.

If I mounted the tabs further inwards towards the pumps, I couldn't get the 1/4" clearance above the bottom of the hull because the top of the tab mount hit the lights.

I thought about going to a smaller tab but then I was worried the tabs would work properly since the 275 is a wider and heavier boat than the other Yamaha installations I had read about.

Finally, I opted to modify the 10 x 14 tabs but using a holesaw so I could put a notch in the mounts to get around the underwater lights to get them high enough so I could mount them closer to the pumps and get the 1/4" clearance below the hinge mount and the bottom of the hull.

After spending several days moving the tabs around to different positions.... and getting feedback from Russ and guys on this Forum.... I found moving the tabs as close to the pumps as possible without the nozzles hitting the tabs when the wheel is hard-over (especially since I have Cobra Jet fins) was the best position for the actuators and the tabs.

@HangOutdoors was one of the ones who recommended getting the tabs as close to the pumps as possible and also going higher than the 1/2" recommended at fully retracted. I ultimately only got them to between 1/2 - 3/4" at the trailing edge when fully retracted but I seem to have no issues with drag when retracted..... or the forklift when they lift my boat. I hit 48MPH with 4 people, gear and 95% fuel onboard. Capt Steve at Boat Test got it to 50MPH with 2 people onboard and 60% of fuel so I would say my tabs have no effect on my top speed.

Here is a thread with some pictures from my installation.... including where I mounted the ALC-1

Do you have any room where you could shift the tabs either inwards or outwards enough to clear the seat mounts?

One of the things Russ and I worked on before I decided to have them make the 10 x 14 tabs was where the mounting holes for the actuators were on the tabs. He wanted to make sure the holes were not too close to the trailing edge of the tabs such the actuators might have to be mounted too far back under the swim platform.

If you can't move your tabs enough inwards or outwards enough to clear the seat mounts, would having the holes in the tabs for mounting the actuators allow you to clear the seat mounts? Maybe different sized tabs would solve the problem.... or drilling holes in a different place on the tabs. I know someone on here did drill another set of holes in the tabs to help with mounting his actuators.

Rickey DeLaigle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First, thank you for everything it was extremely helpful.
Update on trim tabs , talked to Russ and decided to go with 12 wide by 9 deep. I mocked those bad boys up, looks like everything will clear and should work. Once I install I will update with photos.