• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck Tow Vehicle

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok....... Yes it is Monday, I took the Expedition into the dealer to hand a rattle coming from under the vehicle. Don't think it is Cam Phasers, probably an exhaust mount. They looked at it before and indicated the Transmission was fine, now it is more pronounced so we will still see.

Anyhow, was looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude L and it appears that it can tow 7200 lbs. With the V-8, I think less with the V-6. They are leasing out around here for $400 bucks or just under. It seats 7. Was wondering if anyone has one and what their thoughts are? Last Jeep we owned was a Liberty in 2012, I think.

For that price, if it can tow the boat and seating 7, it could very well be a viable option.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok....... Yes it is Monday, I took the Expedition into the dealer to hand a rattle coming from under the vehicle. Don't think it is Cam Phasers, probably an exhaust mount. They looked at it before and indicated the Transmission was fine, now it is more pronounced so we will still see.

Anyhow, was looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude L and it appears that it can tow 7200 lbs. With the V-8, I think less with the V-6. They are leasing out around here for $400 bucks or just under. It seats 7. Was wondering if anyone has one and what their thoughts are? Last Jeep we owned was a Liberty in 2012, I think.

For that price, if it can tow the boat and seating 7, it could very well be a viable option.
We don't have the V8 but have the V6 GC L. We really like it, roomier than our ford explorer sport that had a third row. Owned a 2015 Jeep GC previously too and loved the reliability, drove it over 100k miles with only having to do regular maintenance items. So we are hoping the reliability continues as we have 35k on our L now. Can’t speak on the V8 but would love to hear how they do, since it’s quite the price jump to a grand wagoneer 🤣

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We don't have the V8 but have the V6 GC L. We really like it, roomier than our ford explorer sport that had a third row. Owned a 2015 Jeep GC previously too and loved the reliability, drove it over 100k miles with only having to do regular maintenance items. So we are hoping the reliability continues as we have 35k on our L now. Can’t speak on the V8 but would love to hear how they do, since it’s quite the price jump to a grand wagoneer 🤣
That is where I am at. Want and Expedition, Tahoe, Suburban, Grand Wagoneer, but cannot really afford those or would I pay what they want. So I am trying to see where I can get in to something new. The Grand Cherokee L Altitude with the Hemi, could fit the bill.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Really need the third row to get kids friends to the launch, just so I can. That is about it.

The Hurricane i6 is a great engine, but only available in the Wagoneer which the price on those jumps pretty good.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ironically we just got our Expedition back from a trans rebuild under warranty.

We looked at Grand Cherokee L before we bought the Expedition. We liked them a lot, they're definitely significantly smaller inside and out, which is good and bad. The interiors are super nice, especially once you start getting into Limited and Overland models. They weren't really a strong contender for us because at the time, they were selling for well over MSRP, and they were like a $75k vehicle once optioned nicely. At that price point you have to want the "tweener" size, smaller than a Tahoe, but more beefy than a Highlander or whatever.

One thing to note is the GC L is not on the same platform as Durango, it's on the new Italian platform, whereas Durango is on the old Mercedes derived platform. There's obviously uses and minuses there, but if I were buying one for the long haul so to speak, I would buy the Durango, as it's proven itself for longer and the parts availability should be better due to HUGE sales volume.

Durango RT Tow n Go will get you what you're wanting.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ironically we just got our Expedition back from a trans rebuild under warranty.

We looked at Grand Cherokee L before we bought the Expedition. We liked them a lot, they're definitely significantly smaller inside and out, which is good and bad. The interiors are super nice, especially once you start getting into Limited and Overland models. They weren't really a strong contender for us because at the time, they were selling for well over MSRP, and they were like a $75k vehicle once optioned nicely. At that price point you have to want the "tweener" size, smaller than a Tahoe, but more beefy than a Highlander or whatever.

One thing to note is the GC L is not on the same platform as Durango, it's on the new Italian platform, whereas Durango is on the old Mercedes derived platform. There's obviously uses and minuses there, but if I were buying one for the long haul so to speak, I would buy the Durango, as it's proven itself for longer and the parts availability should be better due to HUGE sales volume.

Durango RT Tow n Go will get you what you're wanting.
When I drove the Durango, it felt so small, I dunno, maybe it was just me.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
we have a '21 gcl overland v8...solid platform for towing, roomy interior but 3rd row isn't huge.
gave kid our '17 gc v6, which towed our 240 ok.

is the hurricane i6 an option?

some chatter here

No Hurricane I6 yet, nor any reliable info on when it will be.

Frankly, I expected it in the GC like a year or more ago. I dunno if the motor is having teething pains, capacity constraints, or what, but I thought they'd have put it into the GC by now.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When I drove the Durango, it felt so small, I dunno, maybe it was just me.
It's a a bit claustrophobic,.I'd agree, especially in the all black interiors. It doesn't even have a big panoramic moonroof ton open the interior up. It very much is a midsize SUV that got stretched out, it doesn't have the extra room you expect stepping.up.to a "big 3 row". Comparing it to one of the full sizes is gonna be a big difference.

Did you ever look at an Armada?

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the new platform feels much wider than the previous which was shared with the durango, even tho it's only like 1.2 inches. ours is a 6 seater with buckets at 2nd row, makes it look way roomier.
the v8 is thirsty in town, at least with my wife driving it.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
the new platform feels much wider than the previous which was shared with the durango, even tho it's only like 1.2 inches. ours is a 6 seater with buckets at 2nd row, makes it look way roomier.
the v8 is thirsty in town, at least with my wife driving it.
Does the Hemi still require 89 octane?

jthackman

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
manual says use 87-89 octane for 'satisfactory fuel economy and performance'...89 octane plus for 'optimum performance and fuel economy.
she pretty much runs reg 87 in it.
have put 89 in it a few times on trips.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Does the Hemi still require 89 octane?
Modern Hemis never required 89 octane. In the 12 years (and 120,000 miles) that I had my Rams (2012 and 2020), I think I put in 89 octane once. I’ve always been happy with the performance with just using 87 octane, especially with the 8-speed in the newer Ram.

Jim

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a a bit claustrophobic,.I'd agree, especially in the all black interiors. It doesn't even have a big panoramic moonroof ton open the interior up. It very much is a midsize SUV that got stretched out, it doesn't have the extra room you expect stepping.up.to a "big 3 row". Comparing it to one of the full sizes is gonna be a big difference.

Did you ever look at an Armada?
Not really a deal, but I did check them out.

1711989619443.png

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Modern Hemis never required 89 octane. In the 12 years (and 120,000 miles) that I had my Rams (2012 and 2020), I think I put in 89 octane once. I’ve always been happy with the performance with just using 87 octane, especially with the 8-speed in the newer Ram.

Jim
My 2012 Grand Cherokee Hemi said something about using 89 octane in the manual. Probably basically what JT said.

Farmdog267

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got a 2018 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi and mainly run 87 octane without issue. It just turned 58,000 miles last week and I've had it since roughly 36,000 miles in August 2021. Economy does improve if I run the ethanol free either 89 or 91 octane. Running 93 octane doesn't seem to net any difference in power or mpg.

NorCalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER Towing the 2022 275SE w/ Alum Trailer