• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck Tow Vehicle

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
With respect to F-150's, which would be the better/best Rear Axle Ratio for towing boats? I do not know much about it and was asked my opinion.

3.5L V6 Eccoboost 4 x 4 Crew Cab. (4 door). Lariat.

1697761663049.png

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
3.73 is best for tow but 3.55 is plenty too and a bit better for fuel economy.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can I get a general explanation of the differences and why one over the other for my own edification? I undertand that it is the driveshaft must spin the ratio to spin the axle one full turn.

Bottom Bracket

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
"The key to understanding gear ratios is to remember that, as the numerical ratio goes up, towing capacity increases but fuel economy goes down. A numerically higher axle ratio provides a mechanical advantage to send more of the engine's available torque to the rear tires (and front tires, in a four-wheel drive vehicle), but you pay the price at the fuel pump.

So, a truck with optional 3.73 gears will tow a heavier trailer than one with 3.55 or 3.21. But it will also use more fuel in all situations because the engine's rpm will be higher. For example, Ford says the 2018 F-350 Super Duty 4x2 regular cab pickup equipped with the 6.2-liter gasoline engine can tow up to 16,700 pounds when fitted with a 4.30 axle ratio but just 13,200 pounds with the numerically lower 3.73 axle."

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
The numbers 3.55 and 3.73 refer to Ford truck axle ratios. The axle ratio tells you the number of revolutions the drive shaft makes compared to the rear axle. For a 3.55 axle ratio, the drive shaft will turn 3.55 times for every one revolution of the tire.
A numerically high axle ratio means your drive shaft makes more revolutions and therefore the engine works harder and uses more gas. According to Truck Digest, going from a 3.55 axle ratio to a 3.73 will cost you a quarter mile per gallon in the long run. This manifests itself on long hauls.
The numerically high axle ratio like the Ford 3.73 provides the truck more low speed wheel torque and makes it easier to get the vehicle moving.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
After waiting for new 2024 F150 release. I realized that there is nothing "new" there that I really want in 2024.
Would love to configure it the way I want it but getting what is in stock presented a ton of savings.
So I started shopping what is on dealers lots around me.
Found one Lariat and 2 Tremors in combo I wanted.
Ended up with 2023 Lariat 3.5 ecoboost, 3.55 electronic lock rear axle, FX4 502A group for $10k below MSRP.
No moonroof, did not want that huge glass roof I never open. Saved $2k by not having it.
Needless to say 2024 would add another $5k to MSRP.
Ford financing for 5 years at 3.9%.
Pretty happy with the deal.
Loved how Tremors look inside out but those both had moonroof and Ford would not do special financing on those. Also Tremors were only $7500 off MSRP.

@JC!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A truck with a bigger ratio rear axle might also come equipped with other factory towing options as well.

I bought my truck off the lot and it came with a 3.92 rear axle. It also came with other factory tow options like a HD 8-speed 8HP75 transmission, trailer brake controller, class IV hitch, and a 33-gallon fuel tank. My truck is probably overkill for hauling a 19-25’ Yamaha, but when I bought it, I didn’t know what boat and or trailer I might decide to get.

Jim

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My guide to truck rear gearing:
~2.7x : economy or super economy, truck will probably never haul anything. “Real truck“ people say who put a car gear in here?
~3.3x : economy or standard gear, works, saves money, occasionally haul, ”real truck“ people still laugh at.
~3.5x : old standard, same parameters as above, minimal acceptable gear for “real truck” people.
~3.7—3.9x : truck actually used to haul stuff
~4.1x-4.3x : commercial use, i.e. the truck makes more money than you
~4.5x-4.7x and up: truck says “hold my beer”

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have ordered my trucks through fleet sales since 1991, not only do you get exactly what you want that way, but it usually saves me a lot of money, around $10K on the 2014 and 2020 trucks I bought. I usually get the mid axle ratio, in the case of my 2020 I got the 3.55’s, the choices were 3.31, 3.55 & 3.73

The 3.55 with an electronic locking axle would, imho be the best all around ratio. (I’m surprised that there is no limited slip axle available though.). On my 2020 F-350 CC SRW SWB 4X4 diesel I have the 3.55 locking axle, it will only stay locked up to 25 mph, fyi. Most of the time I do not need the locking diff at my boat ramps, Ive needed it a few times to pull the loaded trailer out, and a few times I’ve needed both the 4X4 AND the locking diff. The first time that happened I was very happy to have both.

The 3.55 is the best compromise between the 3.31 & 3.73 in regards to tow capacity and fuel mileage. The 3.31 will get you some better mpg empty, but worse mileage towing or bucking a lot of wind since the mechanical advantage of the engine is lower and will require more throttle when compared to the 3.55. The 3.73, while not increasing the towing capacity will give more grunt / engine mechanical advantage and ease of towing throttle wise than the 3.55 but will spin the motor faster and therefore use a bit more fuel empty and under “lighter” towing conditions, and arguably slightly better mpg at the heavier end of the tow rating, and will get you up to speed more quickly.

Another example might be my high altitude impellers, they have less pitch than the oem impellers so they pump less water at a given rpm, but the engine has more mechanical advantage and allows the engines to reach max rpm’s where the horsepower peak is. The performance is much greater at the cost of roughly .3 mpg at best cruise because the engine has to spin more times to pump the same amount of water (stochiomatic) which is a great compromise as my boats performance at 5000’ on a hot day was lack luster, and now it’s much perkier.

Here‘s something else to understand about turbo charged engines. The more load you put on them the more efficient they become, as you are burning more fuel and creating more exhaust gas which in turn is creating more boost. I had a great example of this coming home from a race in Idaho one year, I was pulling my toy hauler (12,500#) into a 40 mph head wind at 65 mph with my 2005 6.0 diesel, I was at roughly 80% throttle making max boost and thought my mpg was going to drop into single digits from the normal 11.3 mpg. To my surprise I was getting 10.4 mpg.

I’m not sure if the gas motor turbos are variable vane turbos like the diesels. If you keep the boost level below a certain point, in my diesel that is 20 psi (roughly 40 psi max), the mpg is the best while towing at 65 mph, I’m sure the gas motors are the same. Also, if you can keep the rpm at the beginning of the peak torque curve, my truck is 1600 rpm, you keep the stochiomatic fuel use as low possible when towing. It’s a balancing act that I’m sure you’ll figure it out pretty fast using the instantaneous fuel mpg while you are motoring along. The turbo boost (now Kit) is also dependent on the rpm of the engine due to the volume of the air flowing through the engine, that stochiomatic thing again, so at a higher rpm the turbo is spooled up and making the most boost with the least amount of fuel. Its a bit of a learning curve with a turbocharged engine to get the most out of them as far as driving style, but you’ll get it figured out quickly. One thing for sure, the eco boost engined F-150’s are rockets! I’ve driven a few, and if you stick your foot in the fan they haul ass. And if you’re easy on the throttle while cruising empty they get great fuel mileage.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lot of great information posted so far.

Our Expedition has the 3.73, I wouldn't order it any other way. One thing people don't bring up much is that with the lower gear, it gives extra torque multiplication. The perk of this on the Ecoboost is more power before your load gets high enough to warrant boost. That means better fuel economy.

I think the Ecoboost is dead, and all new 3.5s are going to be powerboosts, which means the advantage is even greater, because the hybrid motor is before the transmission,.the 3.73 should boost its output, meaning less ICE usage.

I guess they're offering the 2.7 still. I wouldn't buy that one though. The 3.5 is a much more refined motor at this point, the 2.7 and 3.0 are having serious teething issues.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have ordered my trucks through fleet sales since 1991, not only do you get exactly what you want that way, but it usually saves me a lot of money, around $10K on the 2014 and 2020 trucks I bought. I usually get the mid axle ratio, in the case of my 2020 I got the 3.55’s, the choices were 3.31, 3.55 & 3.73

The 3.55 with an electronic locking axle would, imho be the best all around ratio. (I’m surprised that there is no limited slip axle available though.). On my 2020 F-350 CC SRW SWB 4X4 diesel I have the 3.55 locking axle, it will only stay locked up to 25 mph, fyi. Most of the time I do not need the locking diff at my boat ramps, Ive needed it a few times to pull the loaded trailer out, and a few times I’ve needed both the 4X4 AND the locking diff. The first time that happened I was very happy to have both.

The 3.55 is the best compromise between the 3.31 & 3.73 in regards to tow capacity and fuel mileage. The 3.31 will get you some better mpg empty, but worse mileage towing or bucking a lot of wind since the mechanical advantage of the engine is lower and will require more throttle when compared to the 3.55. The 3.73, while not increasing the towing capacity will give more grunt / engine mechanical advantage and ease of towing throttle wise than the 3.55 but will spin the motor faster and therefore use a bit more fuel empty and under “lighter” towing conditions, and arguably slightly better mpg at the heavier end of the tow rating, and will get you up to speed more quickly.

Another example might be my high altitude impellers, they have less pitch than the oem impellers so they pump less water at a given rpm, but the engine has more mechanical advantage and allows the engines to reach max rpm’s where the horsepower peak is. The performance is much greater at the cost of roughly .3 mpg at best cruise because the engine has to spin more times to pump the same amount of water (stochiomatic) which is a great compromise as my boats performance at 5000’ on a hot day was lack luster, and now it’s much perkier.

Here‘s something else to understand about turbo charged engines. The more load you put on them the more efficient they become, as you are burning more fuel and creating more exhaust gas which in turn is creating more boost. I had a great example of this coming home from a race in Idaho one year, I was pulling my toy hauler (12,500#) into a 40 mph head wind at 65 mph with my 2005 6.0 diesel, I was at roughly 80% throttle making max boost and thought my mpg was going to drop into single digits from the normal 11.3 mpg. To my surprise I was getting 10.4 mpg.

I’m not sure if the gas motor turbos are variable vane turbos like the diesels. If you keep the boost level below a certain point, in my diesel that is 20 psi (roughly 40 psi max), the mpg is the best while towing at 65 mph, I’m sure the gas motors are the same. Also, if you can keep the rpm at the beginning of the peak torque curve, my truck is 1600 rpm, you keep the stochiomatic fuel use as low possible when towing. It’s a balancing act that I’m sure you’ll figure it out pretty fast using the instantaneous fuel mpg while you are motoring along. The turbo boost (now Kit) is also dependent on the rpm of the engine due to the volume of the air flowing through the engine, that stochiomatic thing again, so at a higher rpm the turbo is spooled up and making the most boost with the least amount of fuel. Its a bit of a learning curve with a turbocharged engine to get the most out of them as far as driving style, but you’ll get it figured out quickly. One thing for sure, the eco boost engined F-150’s are rockets! I’ve driven a few, and if you stick your foot in the fan they haul ass. And if you’re easy on the throttle while cruising empty they get great fuel mileage.
Caveat here. The Ecoboost motors have tiny turbos. They spool up completely under light load. They're the opposite of diesels that get more efficient under load. They will literally open the waste gates to relieve pressure under high load, meaning they're not going to be more efficient, they're going to be dumping fuel in to keep the a/f right. I think what youre seeing is more due to being a diesel, not turbo. Turbodiesel may compound together to make this even better though, hence their prevalence.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, reviving this thread..... I started looking around again this last week and replacing my Expedition.....

I saw the Dodge Durango R/T with the tow package can do 8,700 lbs. They are doing lease specials in the low 500's. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Durango. For a 7 seater, the value is there. Expedtiions, Tahoe's, etc. Are ridiculous to lease.

Seems to be a lot oof 2023 Durango's on the lots around here right now.

2023 Dodge Durango Towing & Capability | Towing Specs & More

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Never had a Durango, but am on my second Ram 1500 and am pretty happy with it.

The Dodge/Ram/Jeep dealerships in my area seem to once again have a lot of vehicles on the lots. In my area, they are currently offering 10% off MSRP many leftover 2023’s, with even more savings on Ram 1500’s.

JIm

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would get a RAM Truck, but the family wants 7 or 8 seats. TBH, may be easier to just get a new family??? :)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would get a RAM Truck, but the family wants 7 or 8 seats. TBH, may be easier to just get a new family??? :)
3rd row is gonna be tight if all 7 people are on there at the same time. Durango is still a midsize SUV on the inside. Not going to be like your Expedition.

I went to buy a Durango in '17, came home with a Sierra. Went to trade the Sierra on a Durango in '21, came home with a Q7. It's always been the bridesmaid for me for some reason. I've rented a couple, as well as a couple of jeep Grand Cherokees (same chassis and similar interior).

I think the Durango is a fine tow vehicle, on a pretty competent chassis. Look for one with the Tow and Go package, gets you better exhaust and brakes in the standard R/T trim. SRT will get you the bigger motor and bigger brakes. The 5.7L and ZF8HP transmission are a good combination. The R/T has the option for leveling air shocks in the rear. The higher optioned ones have adaptive cruise and most all of the tech you could want.

Go test drive one and see how you like it.