• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck Tow Vehicle

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, reviving this thread..... I started looking around again this last week and replacing my Expedition.....

I saw the Dodge Durango R/T with the tow package can do 8,700 lbs. They are doing lease specials in the low 500's. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Durango. For a 7 seater, the value is there. Expedtiions, Tahoe's, etc. Are ridiculous to lease.

Seems to be a lot oof 2023 Durango's on the lots around here right now.

2023 Dodge Durango Towing & Capability | Towing Specs & More
Like 2kwik4u, I have fooled around with Durango a lot but never committed to it. Flirted a lot, fooled around a bit, but never went steady. It's not that it's a bad vehicle, it's just kind of expensive for what it is. I also have the problem of it "only" being a 5.7 in the RT, and there's a HUGE price premium to go up to an SRT or Hellcat. Keep in mind, a base RT is not exactly well equipped, by the time you get tow n go, a few other options, that RT is like 70k.

The product is robust overall, solid transmission, plenty of time to work most of the bugs out (it has been pretty much the same since like 2012, and is built on an updated version of an old mercedes platform). You're not gonna encounter a new unheard of problem with it.

I agree, go drive it. It's a LOT smaller than the expedition, so be prepared for that. I know it's "7 passenger", but it's really a 4/5 +2 seat car. There's no room behind the rear seats, and the center seat is gonna be tight comparatively. It's a good driving vehicle, it just always feels more dated and cheap than it should for the money IMO. That said, a $500 lease is pretty cheap, I'd be skeptical of what you're getting for that

How heavy is what you're towing anyway?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like 2kwik4u, I have fooled around with Durango a lot but never committed to it. Flirted a lot, fooled around a bit, but never went steady. It's not that it's a bad vehicle, it's just kind of expensive for what it is. I also have the problem of it "only" being a 5.7 in the RT, and there's a HUGE price premium to go up to an SRT or Hellcat. Keep in mind, a base RT is not exactly well equipped, by the time you get tow n go, a few other options, that RT is like 70k.

The product is robust overall, solid transmission, plenty of time to work most of the bugs out (it has been pretty much the same since like 2012, and is built on an updated version of an old mercedes platform). You're not gonna encounter a new unheard of problem with it.

I agree, go drive it. It's a LOT smaller than the expedition, so be prepared for that. I know it's "7 passenger", but it's really a 4/5 +2 seat car. There's no room behind the rear seats, and the center seat is gonna be tight comparatively. It's a good driving vehicle, it just always feels more dated and cheap than it should for the money IMO. That said, a $500 lease is pretty cheap, I'd be skeptical of what you're getting for that

How heavy is what you're towing anyway?
5,500 lbs give or take with my AR210 fully loaded I would say. Plus if I get a bigger boat it could go up from there.

Anyhow I went and Drove a Durango a few hours ago. Meh. Your observations are spot on. It is noticeably smaller than the Expedition.

I think I could have more luck looking for an Expedition, Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, etc. That is a couple few years old or so and find a deal with mileage between 50-70k. I am looking around now and see some over and under 40k that look nice. Plus I could get a higher trim level than I could buy new and a warranty.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
5,500 lbs give or take with my AR210 fully loaded I would say. Plus if I get a bigger boat it could go up from there.

Anyhow I went and Drove a Durango a few hours ago. Meh. Your observations are spot on. It is noticeably smaller than the Expedition.

I think I could have more luck looking for an Expedition, Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, etc. That is a couple few years old or so and find a deal with mileage between 50-70k. I am looking around now and see some over and under 40k that look nice. Plus I could get a higher trim level than I could buy new and a warranty.
Do you need full size space? Do you REALLY see yoursf.getting and towing a bigger boat? If the answer to those is no, drove an explorer ST and accept.yourenwaiting until at least March for the 2025 redesign to come.out.

If the answer to those questions is yes, go look at Armada. It's the perennial also ran in its class, and a fine vehicle. It's just not as spacious as you'd expect. And it isn't that nice inside. And it's not great on gas. But they're reliable, can be had for good deals vs their class, and tow like a boss. The previous gen sequoia would be a good option too.

OB WI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Starting from the top.

We have a 2018 F150 S Crew. 2.7 rated at 7,800 towing w/ 3.55 gears and 36 gallon tank. Family of 4 and towing 2021 AR250. Normal towing w/ local gear we’re around 6.2K. Tows great. 9-12 MPG locking out 9th and 10th gear in WI in the 3hr range. Fully loaded for a longer trip pushing just over 7K and in the 9-13 MPG. But when we head to Shelbyville IL for the Annual Midwest trip 9th gear works well being flat land but the peddle can be heavy.
But soon the kids need to be in the 3rd row so the next vehicle will be an Expo max. The only downside I see is a 28 gallon tank. Towing max is 9K w/ 3.73 gears so an extra stop for fuel will work out but that’s expected with young kids.

If you have the room to upgrade to the 250 series. DO IT. You and the family will love it! And the trucks will pull it!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I think @BlkGS is spot on with the Armada. I think, in general, Nissan gets overlooked often because of less than stellar "new" features. They don't have the latest engine tech, or interior designs. When competing for SUV of the year, or Truck of the year, there are many others that have newer/neater/more interesting upgrades. However, the Armada and Titan are still exceptionally nice places to spend some time, and have significant tech and reliability to make them a really good value. You can also typically find pretty decent deals on them due to the "also ran" status in most reviews. There's also something to be said for the relative simplicity they bring to an otherwise complicated marketplace.

Wife and I have been exceptionally pleased with our '18 Rogue. I've got a couple neighbors with Titans, and they are well loved vehicles as well.

If you have time in the schedule, I would find an Armada in the SL trim to go drive. It's closer in size to what you're looking for and a great value IMO.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I think @BlkGS is spot on with the Armada. I think, in general, Nissan gets overlooked often because of less than stellar "new" features. They don't have the latest engine tech, or interior designs. When competing for SUV of the year, or Truck of the year, there are many others that have newer/neater/more interesting upgrades. However, the Armada and Titan are still exceptionally nice places to spend some time, and have significant tech and reliability to make them a really good value. You can also typically find pretty decent deals on them due to the "also ran" status in most reviews. There's also something to be said for the relative simplicity they bring to an otherwise complicated marketplace.

Wife and I have been exceptionally pleased with our '18 Rogue. I've got a couple neighbors with Titans, and they are well loved vehicles as well.

If you have time in the schedule, I would find an Armada in the SL trim to go drive. It's closer in size to what you're looking for and a great value IMO.
Armada was near the top of our list when we were shopping because we also had an overall great experience with our rogue. I drove and liked Titan, and Armada was the last "old school" fullsize. It isn't, because really it's just as advanced as the current Tahoe, but it doesn't feel it because their design styles look a bit more mundane, and they don't have anything to really make them stand out. GM has the diesel, Ford has the chassis and performance, wagoneer has the awesome interior, Toyota has the cult following. Nissan just builds a nice SUV that nobody talks about (personally I think Nissan has a bad reputation in general because sentra is cheap crap, Altima is cheap crap driven overly aggressively, and Maxima is even worse).

We ended up not going with Armada for 2 reasons, reason 1 was we bought in the pandemic so they were equally as absurdly expensive as the domestics. Reason 2 was the rear cargo area wasn't great. We needed something that could hold a double stroller and extra stuff, and didn't care about the 3rd row. Armada prioritized 3rd row comfort over cargo space IMO, so it didn't work out as well for us.

Frankly, our Expedition worked out best for us. The only thing that could make it better is if it was a PHEV (or a Max). You could get a deal on the last generation before they went aluminum I bet, though I haven't been in one of those in a LONG time.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Checking out the Armada's as well. They are priced attractively.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Took my Ram to the dealer for an oil change this morning. Spent a few minutes looking at a Grand Wagoneer. What a gorgeous vehicle and fully loaded. As a 2023 it was discounted $3K to only $90K! Yikes

Jim

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Ok, reviving this thread..... I started looking around again this last week and replacing my Expedition.....

I saw the Dodge Durango R/T with the tow package can do 8,700 lbs. They are doing lease specials in the low 500's. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Durango. For a 7 seater, the value is there. Expedtiions, Tahoe's, etc. Are ridiculous to lease.

Seems to be a lot oof 2023 Durango's on the lots around here right now.

2023 Dodge Durango Towing & Capability | Towing Specs & More
My personal opinion is never lease, but if it works for your situation go for it. You can always take to vehicles to the ramp. One for you and the boat and one for the family.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
What about a Toyota Sequoia? Tow rating of 9300#, seats 7 .

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One for you and the boat and one for the family.
that doesn't work on a lot of lakes around here. No parking for public or second vehicles. No trailer you can't park. And they have signs going out 1/2 mile or more indicating they will tow if vehicles are left for boat launch.

Also when we need to take 6/7/8 on a drive up north or hours away, a second vehicle doesn't work out.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
that doesn't work on a lot of lakes around here. No parking for public or second vehicles. No trailer you can't park. And they have signs going out 1/2 mile or more indicating they will tow if vehicles are left for boat launch.

Also when we need to take 6/7/8 on a drive up north or hours away, a second vehicle doesn't work out.
That's pretty restrictive. At least around our home lake there is public parking, although unfortunately you can find vehicles with no trailers in trailer only spaces every weekend. I think a good business could be had by towing these violators each weekend.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's pretty restrictive. At least around our home lake there is public parking, although unfortunately you can find vehicles with no trailers in trailer only spaces every weekend. I think a good business could be had by towing these violators each weekend.
some lakes have them others do not. We have a lot of lakes around here that are maybe 1 mile across or smaller.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
some lakes have them others do not. We have a lot of lakes around here that are maybe 1 mile across or smaller.
1 mile across is HUGE for this area. We have some that are under 500ft across for the majority of the lake.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went over to the Ford Dealership this morning to look at an F-150, Powerboost Hybrid.

Just got off the phone with the Chevy dealership on the Yukon.

Dealerships are theives, imho.........

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone want to adopt me whom gets a great discount on Ford Employee??? You can ride in my boat :)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went over to the Ford Dealership this morning to look at an F-150, Powerboost Hybrid.

Just got off the phone with the Chevy dealership on the Yukon.

Dealerships are theives, imho.........
The powerboost is NICE. But man, new trucks are pricey. Especially if you want a nice one. These trucks are up like 40% over a few years ago.

I thought powerboost was a really smooth setup. Just wish it had a bit more EV motor and was a PHEV. It'd be decimating sales if it was. Well, that and like... 20% under MSRP as God intended.

In the end the crazy prices of new trucksade me decide to just get an actual luxury vehicle. I figured if I was gonna spend as much as a luxury vehicle on a truck I may as well get a real luxury vehicle.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They are knocking 10k off, on the 2023's, plus ford gave me 2k certificate. So the Lease is $460 on a 2 yr nothing down. The only problem is I still have a note on my Expedition and I am going to keep so for the 3-5 times a year we tow with 6-8 people, I can take them all. Eventually I hope it being parked in the drive and booting the Admiral or a kid to the street they will tell me just to sell the damn thing. Would love to drive the lease down into the #300's

IA_210SX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes been looking at those.
Did the Armada after a Tacoma. Ditched the Armada for a Tundra, should have gotten a sequoia and a utility trailer instead instead of the Nissan. It wanted to over heat and I disliked the air suspension when towing.