• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck Tow Vehicle

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Drove a few hundred miles today and out to an outdoor show, and enjoyed the new ride feeling with new loaded struts all the way around. Can't say enough good about the KYB Struts Plus. Corning is better, firmer than OEM, I equate it to the firmness of an F-150. Truck sits about 1" higher and I also move a trailer with someone boat on it 7000 lbs, with little sag. I would encourage anyone whom needs to replace their rear struts and/or front struts to check them out, well worth a look.

As an aside, I was looking at the Bilstein's 5100. They are nice as well, but only shock comes with it and I would have to compress the existing OEM coil springs, take off the plates and put it all back together. Unfortunately I don't have that much faith in the existing rear coil springs. The KYB loaded Strut Plus has a new coil spring and it is denser. And save a ton of install time.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've put the 5100's on a couple vehicles now. They're overrated IMO. I think you made the right choice, especially considering the install time you saved.
Good to know. The fact that the coils are firmer than the OEM's is nice as well. Otherwise would have had to buy the bilstein's and new coils which was turning into a lot more than I wanted to do.

drober30

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Ok, reviving this thread..... I started looking around again this last week and replacing my Expedition.....

I saw the Dodge Durango R/T with the tow package can do 8,700 lbs. They are doing lease specials in the low 500's. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Durango. For a 7 seater, the value is there. Expedtiions, Tahoe's, etc. Are ridiculous to lease.

Seems to be a lot oof 2023 Durango's on the lots around here right now.

2023 Dodge Durango Towing & Capability | Towing Specs & More
I have a 2022 Durango GT Plus, so only the 3.6L V6 and it pulls my 222SD just fine. It does labor a little bit, running at higher RPMs up hills but comparing the time the boat is in tow vs daily driving, I have no issues and get better gas milage on the daily drive.

The Durangos have great gearing and driving off the line is pretty awesome, they sound great from inside the cabin and feel like a real performance SUV. They even have a hard button for Sport Mode which changes the shift points and holds the RPMs which really makes driving it really fun!

The RT with the 5.7 HEMI would tow even a 25' Yamaha with no trouble at all. I think the Durangos drive really nice, look sporty and have a third row so all around a great vehicle. I put a 8/125k Mopar extended on mine for $2k so I feel pretty good for the long haul.

I dream of a Hellcat, I often look up and consider buying an 392 SRT but I just can't bring myself to buying premium gas for a daily driver. Maybe one day I can buy one of them as a 3rd vehicle for fun.

Last edited:

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've been passively following this thread. I'm not quite in the same boat as I can fit the whole family in the F150. However, it's getting to the point I either soak a bunch of money into it, or buy something newer. Every time I look at the Titan I somehow talk myself out of it. Can get a loaded 2021/2022 Pro4x for 39k with 20k miles. Can't even touch a newer F150 in XLT with max tow for that. Not to mention I'd really like to ditch the ecoboost. Amazing motor and amazing truck. Love nearly everything about it, but the cost and the problems these things have. My cam phasers are rattling on start up and I'd rather not drop 5k to fix them. Found a kid that's a ford tech willing to do some side work, but he won't call me back. Thing leaks oil from everywhere. Valve cover leaks, oil pan leaks, timing cover leaks, and looks like oil cooler seeps some. Any honda I've ever had has never leaked a drop of anything and I've pushed them to 200k+ miles. Changed the oil on our jeep yesterday and noticed at 80k miles it's also developing a leak. I've ruled out the Tundra just cause their tech is horrendous. Android auto is an absolute must have now a days for me. Nissan seems to have that in an affordable package. It's wild that 4 or so years ago I could get a new F150 like mine OTD for 40k. Now they MSRP for 65k and even if you get 10k off you're still looking at 57k OTD. That's insanity!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been passively following this thread. I'm not quite in the same boat as I can fit the whole family in the F150. However, it's getting to the point I either soak a bunch of money into it, or buy something newer. Every time I look at the Titan I somehow talk myself out of it. Can get a loaded 2021/2022 Pro4x for 39k with 20k miles. Can't even touch a newer F150 in XLT with max tow for that. Not to mention I'd really like to ditch the ecoboost. Amazing motor and amazing truck. Love nearly everything about it, but the cost and the problems these things have. My cam phasers are rattling on start up and I'd rather not drop 5k to fix them. Found a kid that's a ford tech willing to do some side work, but he won't call me back. Thing leaks oil from everywhere. Valve cover leaks, oil pan leaks, timing cover leaks, and looks like oil cooler seeps some. Any honda I've ever had has never leaked a drop of anything and I've pushed them to 200k+ miles. Changed the oil on our jeep yesterday and noticed at 80k miles it's also developing a leak. I've ruled out the Tundra just cause their tech is horrendous. Android auto is an absolute must have now a days for me. Nissan seems to have that in an affordable package. It's wild that 4 or so years ago I could get a new F150 like mine OTD for 40k. Now they MSRP for 65k and even if you get 10k off you're still looking at 57k OTD. That's insanity!
This kind of insanity is why I bought and SUV and I'm gonna get a folding 4x8 utility trailer. Automakers are trying to subsidize EV losses with ICE trucks, and are gonna kill their golden goose.

To be honest, I think that's kind of the plan. Make the ICE so expensive that they're not as affordable as the EV option. You can already see it in yard tools. A basic self propelled gas mower is $500 now. You can get a higher end battery mower kit for that. You can get a top of the line lower plus batteries and charger plus a tool or two for like $750. And when you start talking about the upgraded gas mowers, it gets even worse. They're basically making it so that the gas mower is so unaffordable and impractical that you have to switch.

The bigger difference is that I can say "screw it" if I only get half of my lawn mowed. Or have another set of batteries from another tool, etc. Not so much if I'm driving somewhere.

Be O Be

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
1709166909379.jpeg
Bought a 22 f150 lariat with the 3.5 and tows like a beast. Can’t complain at all compared to the grand Cherokee trying to pull the boat.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
View attachment 215668
Bought a 22 f150 lariat with the 3.5 and tows like a beast. Can’t complain at all compared to the grand Cherokee trying to pull the boat.
There’s a reason the F-150 with the eco boost engines are the best selling half ton trucks.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There’s a reason the F-150 with the eco boost engines are the best selling half ton trucks.
Because Ford doesn't do dealer stock with the V8 and fudges the numbers by combining all F series into one vehicle for sales.numbers ? :p

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
LOL, you can find quite capable towing half-ton trucks by many manufacturers. I know I’m quite happy with my 2020 Ram 1500. Half-ton trucks today are much better at towing and hauling than they were 10 - 20 years ago.

Jim

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Because Ford doesn't do dealer stock with the V8 and fudges the numbers by combining all F series into one vehicle for sales numbers ? :p
I attempted to find a used F150 with the 5.0 and they are rare as hens teeth around here. Still has the same issue of being crazy over priced when you do find one.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I attempted to find a used F150 with the 5.0 and they are rare as hens teeth around here. Still has the same issue of being crazy over priced when you do find one.
I still think if you can give up some of the "niceness" of the F150 suspension, you'll find the Titan to be a REALLY good value. It makes no apologies as a work truck. Suspension is stiff, steering is heavy, gas mileage is terrible, so it's FAR less luxury than most FS pickups now days. Makes up for it rock steady reliability, a 100k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, and relatively low cost of entry.

If I totaled the Q7 today (if only I could be so lucky), I have a Titan picked out to go buy on the spot.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I still think if you can give up some of the "niceness" of the F150 suspension, you'll find the Titan to be a REALLY good value. It makes no apologies as a work truck. Suspension is stiff, steering is heavy, gas mileage is terrible, so it's FAR less luxury than most FS pickups now days. Makes up for it rock steady reliability, a 100k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, and relatively low cost of entry.

If I totaled the Q7 today (if only I could be so lucky), I have a Titan picked out to go buy on the spot.
Rock steady realibility is what I need. I can give up nearly everything else, BUT I will say the tech is comparable to the F150. Especially if you get the package that has remote start. The pro4x has nearly all the bells and whistles and many my truck doesn't even have. I need a truck that can tow the boat, and not cost me thousands to fix before 100k miles. That warranty has me suspect. I know very little about it, is it a full warranty? Electronics, drivetrain, interior, etc? Or is it just powertrain? I had a powertrain warranty until 100k miles, but it was "limited" and really didn't cover crap. Ford was smart they knew all the things that are likely going to cause problems and excluded those.

So my requirements are this in this order:
1. Reliability
2. Can tow the boat without struggling or running at redline all the time
3. Android Auto (the 2021 Titans look like I could even replace the head unit without much fuss, so could be a moot point)
4. Remote start
5. App connectivity for remote start would be a nice to have, but dang do I like it on my F150

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rock steady realibility is what I need. I can give up nearly everything else, BUT I will say the tech is comparable to the F150. Especially if you get the package that has remote start. The pro4x has nearly all the bells and whistles and many my truck doesn't even have. I need a truck that can tow the boat, and not cost me thousands to fix before 100k miles. That warranty has me suspect. I know very little about it, is it a full warranty? Electronics, drivetrain, interior, etc? Or is it just powertrain? I had a powertrain warranty until 100k miles, but it was "limited" and really didn't cover crap. Ford was smart they knew all the things that are likely going to cause problems and excluded those.

So my requirements are this in this order:
1. Reliability
3. Android Auto (the 2021 Titans look like I could even replace the head unit without much fuss, so could be a moot point)
4. Remote start
5. App connectivity for remote start would be a nice to have, but dang do I like it on my F150
My thoughts:

1. Reliability
I think Nissan is underrated here. There are some reports of transmission issues, but I've not seen any reports about Nissan not taking care of customers. I could be wrong there, but overall I really think that Nissan is better than their public image might indicate.
400hp 5.6L DOHC V8 - Makes glorious noises at full tilt and has plenty of power to pull any jetboat without really breaking a sweat. I don't think you'll have any issues here.
Wife's '18 Rogue has it. I know neighbors '22 Titan has Carplay, I would assume AA is included as well
4. Remote start
Yep, definitely has this. Part of the Pro4X Convenience Group
I think this exists, but I'm not 100% certain. Wife's '18 Rogue doesn't have it, but it's an SV, not a top of the line trim. Don't know here.

I'm not 100% certain on the warranty. I think it's bumper to bumper for 100k. Neighbor had a fuel pump replaced at 85k or so and starter replaced at 96k under warranty, no questions asked. I think he has a cracked evap canister that isn't covered, but I'm unsure why. Might be because he broke it, and it didn't fail on it's own (he's hard on his truck, as evidenced by over 100k miles on a '22 model). Not sure if warranty is transferable to second owner though, worth some research if you're buying used.

I too am looking for an "appliance" of a pickup. I think the Titan is where it's at. Tundra is likely a good answer as well, if you can handle the Toyota interior styling.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like the warranty on Titan is 5years 100k for both powertrain and "limited". That's a heck of a warranty mileage wise, kinda disappointing in time though.

Titan is definitely the workhorse truck. If you just want a truck to pull things and do truck stuff, it's the way to go, but yeah, it's WAY less refined than a ram or f150.

Speaking of Ford reliability, our expedition is in the shop to get it's transmission rebuilt (barely under warranty). They're not sure how long it will take because there are multiple other trucks in for the exact same thing. It was just in for cam phasers on the Ecoboost too, another failure that affects almost all of them.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, you can order them, but that's about it. I had a nationwide search going for V8 lariats and platinums for a few months before I said "screw it I'll buy an SUV and a trailer".

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah, you can order them, but that's about it. I had a nationwide search going for V8 lariats and platinums for a few months before I said "screw it I'll buy an SUV and a trailer".
With the exception of my 1985 Ford Ranger, I have bought all of my trucks through fleet sales, I sit down with the fleet manager and order my truck the way I want it, on my last two trucks F-350 CC 4x4 Diesels I saved roughly $10,000 by going that route, the only draw back is that you have to wait 4-6 weeks to get the vehicle, well my 2020 took about 10 weeks because of the stupid virus thing.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like the warranty on Titan is 5years 100k for both powertrain and "limited". That's a heck of a warranty mileage wise, kinda disappointing in time though.

Titan is definitely the workhorse truck. If you just want a truck to pull things and do truck stuff, it's the way to go, but yeah, it's WAY less refined than a ram or f150.

Speaking of Ford reliability, our expedition is in the shop to get it's transmission rebuilt (barely under warranty). They're not sure how long it will take because there are multiple other trucks in for the exact same thing. It was just in for cam phasers on the Ecoboost too, another failure that affects almost all of them.
That's kind of my thing. Historically speaking we own vehicles wellllllll into the 100k+ mark. We drive A LOT! We road trip nearly everywhere as my wife doesn't like to fly, not to mention flying with 2 kids and even short trips you're spending $1500 on plane tickets. We generally do South West or East FL at least once a year, we also generally do several semi local trips (TN, VA, SC, adjoining state trips) a year as well. I've averaged ~15-20k a year on my F150 as it has been the travel car. We have determined with the expense of trucks whatever I get can't be the long term road trip vehicle. The jeep will likely be traded within a year for a Honda SUV of some nature and that will become the travel vehicle. However, I still probably drive around town and towing the boat all over NC 12-15k a year. So reliability and towing really are my top 2 requirements. I'd blast through a factory warranty in no time, and being without my truck for weeks would really suck. Right now not so much since it's cold, but during the boating season I'd be hella pissed.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's kind of my thing. Historically speaking we own vehicles wellllllll into the 100k+ mark. We drive A LOT! We road trip nearly everywhere as my wife doesn't like to fly, not to mention flying with 2 kids and even short trips you're spending $1500 on plane tickets. We generally do South West or East FL at least once a year, we also generally do several semi local trips (TN, VA, SC, adjoining state trips) a year as well. I've averaged ~15-20k a year on my F150 as it has been the travel car. We have determined with the expense of trucks whatever I get can't be the long term road trip vehicle. The jeep will likely be traded within a year for a Honda SUV of some nature and that will become the travel vehicle. However, I still probably drive around town and towing the boat all over NC 12-15k a year. So reliability and towing really are my top 2 requirements. I'd blast through a factory warranty in no time, and being without my truck for weeks would really suck. Right now not so much since it's cold, but during the boating season I'd be hella pissed.
Honestly.....I would do the math on a lease versus a buy. Even at 20k mi/yr the benefit of having something under warranty the entire time might outweigh any additional costs you would incur with a lease. Especially if you find a dealership that does loaner vehicles. It's one of the few benefits of owning an Audi and using dealership for maintenance, the loaner program is top notch and makes downtime essentially zero. This means paying a little more, and making it a constant/budgeable cost instead of a front loaded long term deal......BUT.....It could generate the "appliance truck" situation that you're looking for.

The thing with your mileage and a lease is that you'll want to play the price is right game with your estimate. You want to be fairly close, but just under what you actually drive. Buying miles up front is cheap, buying them on the back end is not.

In the end, it's all about total cost out of pocket over the course of multiple years. For you, the reliability of not disturbing your lifestyle might be worth the cost out of pocket.

Just a thought.