• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Truck Tow Vehicle

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Honestly, it's kinda surprising that Titan doesn't sell better. Part of me thinks it's because they don't have enough width in the trims. If you want something like cooled seats (a must in FL), you're stuck with pro4x or Platinum. Platinum forces you into a brown interior and a buncha chrome. So if you're not old, you're forced into a Pro4X, which forces you into a bit of a lift, with extra floaty suspension. If you want a blacked out truck, you have to get the SL Midnight, which doesn't offer cooled seats.

It's a great truck, but only if you fit into the narrow segments Nissan marketing decided exist. Guys like me who want a blacked out, loaded out, not lifted truck just don't exist.

That said, a used (maybe even new) platinum and a bunch of cosmetic mods and a redone interior is probably still cheaper than a competitor truck, lol.
Also they're not QUITE full size, but still bigger than the mid size. If you look at interior room and specs they're quite a bit smaller than the FS models of the other brands. Also the gas mileage is absolutely atrocious compared to every other brand. Only one that was close in comparison was the previous model Tundra. Everything else can pretty much get 20+ mpg on the highway and maybe 17-18 mpg in the city. Where the Titan gets 19hwy and 13 city. LOL!

I like the pro4x as it's the best bang for your buck. Plenty of features you wouldn't get in other brands except for the really high trims.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's a nice truck. I rented one when I picked up my 242 (didn't have a truck yet), and that thing towed awesome. I ended up with an F150 that's better in about every way (IMO), but the Tundra felt like it could tow a couple 242s before feeling heavy. F150 obviously tows just fine, but you definitely feel it back there more.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That's a nice truck. I rented one when I picked up my 242 (didn't have a truck yet), and that thing towed awesome. I ended up with an F150 that's better in about every way (IMO), but the Tundra felt like it could tow a couple 242s before feeling heavy. F150 obviously tows just fine, but you definitely feel it back there more.
Biggest failure right now is price. I've switched my looking from passive into active. Seems I can afford an XL in my price range. Need to go actually drive one and see if I can live like that. Not super enamored with how my F150 has held up long term. Also need to find a Pro4x and drive one. Who knows I may hate it.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who knows I may hate it.
Was thinking about this on the drive up to Buffalo this morning.

You do a lot of road tripping, and there are some downsides to the Titan on that front. It gets abysmal fuel mileage. Not towing, neighbor got 15mpg on a road trip to FL with us two years ago. The Q7 was getting 22mpg on the same speed/roads. Combined with a relatively small tank (26gal), you only get about 375mi of usable range. Towing is likely to drop that into the mid/low 300's. NOW, that's enough for me, but some people (like @BlkGS ) want to run 500+ miles between fill ups. Just something to think about on that front, and how it might fit into your typical towing vacation.

Also, it has a weird quirk with the backup/autobraking sensors. You have to turn them off every time you put the truck in reverse to approach a trailer. Not every key cycle, every time you change from fwd to rev. Makes backing a trailer a bit of a PIA if you have an Austin Powers style technique. Again, nothing I couldn't live with, but it's a quirk that I've read people complaining about.

Finally, about the only thing I REALLY didn't like about it was the steering weight. It's VERY unassisted steering. In a parking lot, the steering wheel is downright heavy. Not QUITE manual steering heavy, but pretty close. It's clearly a "non-variable" assist (which, again is one of those things that you get on "fancier" trucks), and they chose to go with high speed stability over parking lot ease. It's not insurmountable, and I would totally live with it, but you'll notice it right off the bat when driving it.

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
+1 for the Nissan Titan/Armada platform. just picked mine up from the shop today (state inspection and replace wheel bearings). the shop changed the display to get the odometer reading (i usually keep it on fuel range), and it surprised me that i have surpassed 200K miles. other than wear and tear items, no major issues. It feels like if I keep changing tires and brakes, I could get another 200k miles out of it. the rumors about abysmal gas mileage are all true, I get an average of 14mpg and less than 12 when towing, but i have the first generation with the old 5 speed. 2008 Pro4x for reference. the current model still uses the same motor, albeit updated with more power and a 9 speed transmission.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think the only real option for durability AND any semblance of fuel economy is the baby Duramax diesel 1500 GM trucks. They're way overpriced, not as nice inside as they should be, desperately need updates to be competitive as a "nice truck"... You get the V8 and you're gonna drop a lifter. You get the Ford you're gonna have trans issues and ecoboost issues. You get the Nissan you get early 90s fuel economy. Get the dodge and you're just doomed. Get the Toyota and youve got their turbo 6 to contend with, and it's had issues (I'm sure they'll get them sorted at some point, and frankly I think they're my 2nd pick, they have known issues now, but a generation or more ahead of what the GM interior is). The big thing that would keep me from buying a tundra right now is this sneaking suspicion they're gonna release a PHEV in a year or two.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the only real option for durability AND any semblance of fuel economy is the baby Duramax diesel 1500 GM trucks. They're way overpriced, not as nice inside as they should be, desperately need updates to be competitive as a "nice truck"... You get the V8 and you're gonna drop a lifter. You get the Ford you're gonna have trans issues and ecoboost issues. You get the Nissan you get early 90s fuel economy. Get the dodge and you're just doomed. Get the Toyota and youve got their turbo 6 to contend with, and it's had issues (I'm sure they'll get them sorted at some point, and frankly I think they're my 2nd pick, they have known issues now, but a generation or more ahead of what the GM interior is). The big thing that would keep me from buying a tundra right now is this sneaking suspicion they're gonna release a PHEV in a year or two.
I’ve heard of a lot of issues with those eco diesels, on both Chevy and Ram brands. If you’re gonna spend the money for a diesel just go big or go home, buy [used] 3/4 tons. I get around 18-22mpg without pulling anything. I average 15mpg traveling to the ozarks, a ton of hills and about 250ish miles one way. Not to mention the reliability is there. And when you wanna upgrade that boat you won’t have to worry about upgrading the truck 🤣. With any diesel, though, delete them as soon as the warranty runs out.

I will say, the Chevy 6.2 liter gas engine seems decent, not near as bad as the 5.3 junk for sure.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve heard of a lot of issues with those eco diesels, on both Chevy and Ram brands. If you’re gonna spend the money for a diesel just go big or go home, buy [used] 3/4 tons. I get around 18-22mpg without pulling anything. I average 15mpg traveling to the ozarks, a ton of hills and about 250ish miles one way. Not to mention the reliability is there. And when you wanna upgrade that boat you won’t have to worry about upgrading the truck 🤣. With any diesel, though, delete them as soon as the warranty runs out.
Yea, but then you're driving a 2500 pickup everywhere. That's a lot of truck for all the time us boat guys aren't pulling something humongonamous.

I have been seeing a lot of chatter about the 3.0L EcoDiesel from Ram having huge carbon buildup issues. Not sure if the 3.0L from GM is doing the same thing or not, still somewhat early for that to be honest. With that said, I've not heard/read anyone really being disappointed in the GM 3.0L, aside from some complaints on acceleration coming from previous 6.2L owners.

I do agree with @BlkGS here though, I think the GMC Sierra with a 3.0L in an SLT or Elevation package is likely a second best value in the fullsize pickup market.

If I could pick the best from all vendors.....I would take the the Titan, and put a Powerboost driveline (With the onboard generator) from Ford in it. Grab the ZF transmission from Ram, and then drive the thing into the ground.

I will say, the Chevy 6.2 liter gas engine seems decent, not near as bad as the 5.3 junk for sure.
Sooo, you know these are the same engine right? Just a displacement change and some other exterior bits. It's the same stroke as the 5.3L, but with a larger bore. I haven't gone part number checking, but I would wager it's the same internals between the two (Rods, Crank, Lifters, etc).

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed. The 6.2L is just a more expensive version of the 5.3L with with same AFM lifter failures, the same DI carbon build up issues, but it at least forces the 10L80 in so you get a good transmission.

Titan is the unquestionable king for reliability right now. But you pay for that in gas. Pay for gar, or pay for repairs, no way around it. Or you drive a 2500 and deal.with how crappy those drive.

If someone put a nerf to my head and said "pick a truck and you have to live.with it every day for 10 years" I think I would probably end up with a coyote f150 and a Whipple. I would almost certainly have to get a rebuilt trans at some point, but that's probably better than driving something I hate.

Frankly, I'm thinking the best all around option is a nice SUV and a small trailer anyways. I would be hard pressed to not get a Durango and a $500 Harbor freight folding trailer over a new truck. But I'm not a "I NEED a truck" guy. I have tasks that are best competed using an open bed, but it could be a trailer and not hurt my ego. I'd rather spend $500-1000 on a trailer and upgrades and not have to tote around the bed all the time, if that means a better driving vehicle.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Was thinking about this on the drive up to Buffalo this morning.

You do a lot of road tripping, and there are some downsides to the Titan on that front. It gets abysmal fuel mileage. Not towing, neighbor got 15mpg on a road trip to FL with us two years ago. The Q7 was getting 22mpg on the same speed/roads. Combined with a relatively small tank (26gal), you only get about 375mi of usable range. Towing is likely to drop that into the mid/low 300's. NOW, that's enough for me, but some people (like @BlkGS ) want to run 500+ miles between fill ups. Just something to think about on that front, and how it might fit into your typical towing vacation.

Also, it has a weird quirk with the backup/autobraking sensors. You have to turn them off every time you put the truck in reverse to approach a trailer. Not every key cycle, every time you change from fwd to rev. Makes backing a trailer a bit of a PIA if you have an Austin Powers style technique. Again, nothing I couldn't live with, but it's a quirk that I've read people complaining about.

Finally, about the only thing I REALLY didn't like about it was the steering weight. It's VERY unassisted steering. In a parking lot, the steering wheel is downright heavy. Not QUITE manual steering heavy, but pretty close. It's clearly a "non-variable" assist (which, again is one of those things that you get on "fancier" trucks), and they chose to go with high speed stability over parking lot ease. It's not insurmountable, and I would totally live with it, but you'll notice it right off the bat when driving it.
Wife all but shot the Titan idea in the head. It's hard to give up the massive room we have with the F150 since the truck is still the road trip vehicle. A lot of what you touched on. I'm going to look at an F150 with the 5.0 this afternoon at the dealership I bought my truck from. It has more miles than I'd like (35k) and it's from OH. I generally don't buy vehicles from the rust belt. I'm so spoiled living in the south and every vehicle here even after years the underneath still looks brand new. The body is aluminum so not concerned with that. The underneath of the Ford does not age well in salt. Not sure what they use to coat the factory frame and stuff, but it does not hold up well in salt. Dad of a buddy of mine bought a truck that was a year old with 15k miles from MI and it looked like it had been parked out in the ocean for 5 years. I'm sure it's all surface rust, but dang!

Otherwise it has everything I want:
  • 36 gallon tank
  • Integrated brake controller
  • Trailer assist
    • We used this during the pandemic for my wife to back up the trailer and for her it is amazing
  • V8
  • Android auto (wireless even)
  • Remote start
    • FordPass app is free and I do use it pretty regularly

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yeah there's really no great options out there, unfortunately. They all suck in their own way. LOL! I've not really heard of trans issues with the 10sp for Ford. The first gen like mine absolutely, but not something I have heard a lot of otherwise. It seems GM is having issues with the exact trans.....which I don't get.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah there's really no great options out there, unfortunately. They all suck in their own way. LOL! I've not really heard of trans issues with the 10sp for Ford. The first gen like mine absolutely, but not something I have heard a lot of otherwise. It seems GM is having issues with the exact trans.....which I don't get.
Our 2019 expedition is in the shop right now for it, lol. It's in line behind a host of other trucks getting their transmissions rebuilt. A quick Google should yield a lot of people with the issues across the Ford line. Interestingly, the Ford guys always say "oh the GM version uses better parts and doesn't fail".

Hopefully they rebuild our trans with the new parts and it's trouble free. We at least have a lifetime warranty on it. Other than the transmission, and the cam phasers that were just replaced, we really do love the expedition, lol.

But yeah, they all seem to be flawed in their own way. If I was gonna buy a truck and didn't mind the truck drawbacks and wasn't a performance freak, I'd buy the tundra.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Our 2019 expedition is in the shop right now for it, lol. It's in line behind a host of other trucks getting their transmissions rebuilt. A quick Google should yield a lot of people with the issues across the Ford line. Interestingly, the Ford guys always say "oh the GM version uses better parts and doesn't fail".

Hopefully they rebuild our trans with the new parts and it's trouble free. We at least have a lifetime warranty on it. Other than the transmission, and the cam phasers that were just replaced, we really do love the expedition, lol.

But yeah, they all seem to be flawed in their own way. If I was gonna buy a truck and didn't mind the truck drawbacks and wasn't a performance freak, I'd buy the tundra.
Wild turn of events. I ended up buying a new 3.5EB 🤣. I went and looked at the V8 and drove it. It was rusty AF underneath. They gave me a steal off a 2023 with 6 miles and gave me $22k for my truck even with its obvious issues. I said....sold. $200 a month more, which sucks, but 1.9% for 72 months is rare AF.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wild turn of events. I ended up buying a new 3.5EB 🤣. I went and looked at the V8 and drove it. It was rusty AF underneath. They gave me a steal off a 2023 with 6 miles and gave me $22k for my truck even with its obvious issues. I said....sold. $200 a month more, which sucks, but 1.9% for 72 months is rare AF.
Boy, that escalated very quickly.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Boy, that escalated very quickly.
Boyyyyyy did I not expect that. I talked to the service manager and he said they see more 5.0 for cam phaser issues on the new ones. I said I call BS, but ok. In any event before I get out of my 3 yr 36k mile one I'll hit up.....I think it's Grainger and buy a discounted extended warranty. Finance guy was nice. I said if you want me to spend more money go fight the sales guy. He convinced me to buy a new truck instead of used. He got all my money. 🤣 I never keep that kind of cash on hand for the down payment, so we did all the paperwork today and I transferred money from another bank to my checking account. Will pick it up Thursday.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Co grats! That's a nice truck. Man, 60k for an XLT seems crazy. I paid 50 for my 2015 fully loaded platinum back when it was new. Inflation's a bitch.

Oafy44

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Co grats! That's a nice truck. Man, 60k for an XLT seems crazy. I paid 50 for my 2015 fully loaded platinum back when it was new. Inflation's a bitch.

Ford xlts have come a long way in 7 years. Some even have leather in them. The current tech is even better than a 2015 platinum. …..yes inflation is crazy but also trucks and cars keep evolving - and even more so the last 4/5 years with the rapid amount of tech these cars are getting now of days. Looks like a great find. Other than a moonroof and leather that thing is decked out. Great color combo Enjoy!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ford xlts have come a long way in 7 years. Some even have leather in them. The current tech is even better than a 2015 platinum. …..yes inflation is crazy but also trucks and cars keep evolving - and even more so the last 4/5 years with the rapid amount of tech these cars are getting now of days. Looks like a great find. Other than a moonroof and leather that thing is decked out. Great color combo Enjoy!
Yup! Like he said. This has copilot and the 360 camera, dual auto climate control, push button start, wireless android auto, etc. that my old truck didn't have. Aside from hybrid this is about as loaded of an XLT as you can get. I don't want the moonroof with their leaking problems. Salesman has a raptor and it leaks, can't seem to get it fixed. I said eff that noise. 😆

But yeah back in 2018 you could get a top spec XLT for 40k OTD. I probably could have walked away and squeezed some more out of the deal. I tried to get him to throw in a bed liner and tonneau cover. Sales manager said nah, nothing left in the deal for them. I said yeah we all know that ain't true. But anywho, they gave me another $500 off...and said take it or leave it. On the way home from the gym I smelled burning oil, so mine is leaking on something hot. Couldn't see it and said aight.....it's gotta go. Also noticed clear coat coming off on the step bars and one of the wheels. As pampered as that truck is it just isn't holding up after 7 years and 100k miles.

I have a headache. I hate buying cars. 😆

This one will also get the katzkins like mine has eventually. Maybe let the seats wear a bit and then get them installed.